Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Giving up for now.
RE: Giving up for now.
Hang in there and stay on the program. I had to go through 7-8 masks before I found the right one and then I had to learn the nuances of living with it.
I have been 'on the hose' two years now this month.
I remember what life was like before I started and I'm not going back there.
I was real uncomfortable while getting used to the therapy but now it's a lot easier.

The meds cannot compensate for the lack of oxygen you experience during the night. I would imagine that CPAP should complement your meds in your case.

Your doctor wont tell you this to your face but apnea over time will make short work of your major organs (again lack of oxygen) and aggravates high blood pressure.
The stroke / heart attack headed your way is a Lulu but you can
head it off with CPAP. Find the resolve one way or another and make it work.
Make your equipent suppliers (DME) SERVE YOU. (They are getting the bigs bucks after all)

And like my sig says at the bottom: Persist!
Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2014, 06:48 PM)DeannaM Wrote: Dear friends, an interesting thing happened to me late this afternoon. A friend who knew I was having trouble has gifted me a nasal mask to try, since my DME absolutely will not give me another mask to try. So starting tomorrow I will be trying her mask out. I had to go to the hospital medical records department to get it, but I now have a copy of the script. My friend is putting me in touch with a different DME for getting masks and supplies. After seeing the script, it is clear that the DME did not set up the machine as instructed. So I can remedy this myself thanks to the clinicians manual you all have provided. This is so very disturbing that my treatment is being arbitrarily administered by an equipment sales lady. So again I thank you all. This not so grown up 50 year old lady does need someone to hold her hand.

Excellent!!! I swear once you find the right mask (not to mention, get your machine set up properly), you should have a better time adapting Smile
Sandy
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 06:23 AM)SandysSpot Wrote:
(09-02-2014, 06:48 PM)DeannaM Wrote: Dear friends, an interesting thing happened to me late this afternoon. A friend who knew I was having trouble has gifted me a nasal mask to try, since my DME absolutely will not give me another mask to try. So starting tomorrow I will be trying her mask out. I had to go to the hospital medical records department to get it, but I now have a copy of the script. My friend is putting me in touch with a different DME for getting masks and supplies. After seeing the script, it is clear that the DME did not set up the machine as instructed. So I can remedy this myself thanks to the clinicians manual you all have provided. This is so very disturbing that my treatment is being arbitrarily administered by an equipment sales lady. So again I thank you all. This not so grown up 50 year old lady does need someone to hold her hand.

Excellent!!! I swear once you find the right mask (not to mention, get your machine set up properly), you should have a better time adapting :)

you made my day!

what great news.

2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
It's taken me over 6 months to finally fully adapt to CPAP, strange thing the mask I was supplied with originally, a PR Wisp which I couldn't stand at the time I've gone back to after trying several others and it's now working great....the chin strap I'm now using made all the difference! I'd be hanging in there if I was the OP because with time and commitment you will eventually succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 10:55 AM)Mutineer Wrote: It's taken me over 6 months to finally fully adapt to CPAP, strange thing the mask I was supplied with originally, a PR Wisp which I couldn't stand at the time I've gone back to after trying several others and it's now working great....the chin strap I'm now using made all the difference! I'd be hanging in there if I was the OP because with time and commitment you will eventually succeed.

..and you make a really good point Muti. We really need to spend a little quality time with our masks before we simply decide they won't/can't work. In your case you changed from "can't stand" to "works great" just by spending the extra effort of figuring out a chinstrap would solve the issues.

I suspect a very high percentage of masks go to mask heaven without even having a chance to fulfill their purpose because we're too quick to pull the trigger. What a lucky little PR Wisp to have you as it's owner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Many of us here are willing and able to 'hold' your hand', if you want/allow us to do so.

It is always about choice, we have been give 'free will' to make our own choices. I will stress again, the degree of your OSA (as it is right now untreated) will determine what the effects will be of continuing to go untreated.

For me it is very simple - one, my untreated OSA created a heart issue that was going to kill me. Two - even a single night without my machine *can* kill me as my blood O2 drops into the low 60s, which *could* cause death. So really, I have no choice.

For many others, their untreated numbers "AHI" is one, lowest "blood O2 reading" is another - if those numbers are not so bad, then they may have a real choice - between the hassles and expense of CPAP vs the possible issues (both short-term, and long-term) of going untreated.

I am on a fixed income, and had no health care for the last five years until just recently. I well know the cost and expense of trying different masks, only to throw away $100s of bucks. So I feel for you~!

Please, regardless of what you end up choosing, do not go away, do not feel picked on - we do mean well, really we do! But even if you stop CPAP treatment, hang around - talk to us from time, to time.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2014, 11:16 AM)nightflight Wrote: I don't want to quit, I just want it to work. I'm better, but still tired.

Please hang around. I am a nice guy, but I have gotten into trouble on this forum simply by being me. I've never gotten into trouble on any other forum I've been on, but every forum has their own rules and ways of doing things.

I forget and goof, and was given many free warnings. But I kept goofing so I got into trouble.

I do wish you would turn-on PMs again.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the cloth masks from Circadia? I just bought the Sleep Weaver advanced and it's very comfortable for a mask. I was using the P10 and loved it, but developed an itch in my nose after putting it on. Please try to continue, I really get it, it's annoying, but the alternative is not good. Hugs Here is a link so you can see it.

[commercial DME link removed per Apnea Board rules. Rather than posting a DME link, please simply say something like "Go to Supplier #1 and search for 'sleepweaver advance improved zzzephyr seal cpap'"]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 366 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Sleep doctors giving conflicting advice Morgannon 8 818 02-10-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Exclaimation Need advice. CPAP is giving me lung issues. Fezdani 11 1,347 12-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Giving up on my shiny new F30i Mask S. Manz 28 6,985 08-30-2021, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Feel like my Pillow isn't giving good therapy...reco to try? tierdal 52 3,288 08-11-2021, 01:44 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  Finally, SUCCESS after almost giving up on CPAP (retitled) Computerdoc 149 11,941 10-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CA after giving birth Chrixy 17 1,563 06-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.