Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Giving up on my shiny new F30i Mask
Giving up on my shiny new F30i Mask
Due to too much leaks.
Finally I am back to using my DreamWear full face again with no leak issues which is a pity because I have kept the F30i too long to qualify for a return credit (darn things are pricey) and because I find the F30i very comfortable to wear. Too bad I can't stop it leaking. Must be a convoluted shape of my face or something:-)
Tell us about your experience with F30i? Is it still going well? Maybe I should try a small cushion? (mine is large)...For now I have had it with it and need to get some data built up with no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Giving up on my shiny new F30i Mask....
Mine leaked as well. I gave up on it.
Really happy right now with a F&P Brevida pillow mask...as well as tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
See also the discussion here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...light=f30i

Is there any reason to care about leak rate itself as a number? Mine leaks some but it seems to be working for me anyway. FWIW in the last week Oscar tells me my average leak rate is 3.43, 95% leak rate is 16.80, % above threshold is 1.87%. Those numbers are definitely lower with an F20. But my AHI is still low, I'm not experiencing significant apnea events during the larger leaks or anything.

I've had some luck wearing the mask higher on my face. It's barely below my bottom lip at this point but the under-nose part is quite high up my nose. When I do get leaks it's always on the sides of my nose at the top of the mask; wearing it higher seems to stop some of that. But if I lie wrong on my side it pushes the mask to the side and creates a gap. I think that's just the design compromise implicit in the under the nose design, but I haven't tried other masks like this one.

I wish they made an F20i. I'm OK with the full over nose mask, I just want the hose coming out the top!
Post Reply Post Reply
I owned that F&B. Unfortunately mine has to be full face. Can't use mouth tape. I'm envious now.
Maybe Fisher & Paykel Simplus Full Face Mask?? Oh no, that one has that forehead rest thingy and also the pipe is on the front which will give me frozen lips. Been there and done that:-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have much luck with the Simplus either. 

I should note that I'm keeping these masks because I really want to give them more than three or four nights of trial. 
I just can't afford to have a couple of crappy night's sleep when I know that a pillow mask and tape do a better job and give me good to great results at this point.  I can also count the N20 and tape as a great mask for me.

With that in mind, the Simplus and F30i worked really great in a nap situation....1/2 hour nap seemed so promising.  Then fail at 1 - 4 AM.

Also, with the F30i and Simplus, I've tried cervical collars, tape the mask bottom to the chin, taped my mouth with Somnifix, mask liners with the Simplus, all to no avail.  Followed SarcasticDave's setup with the Simplus...just a whole frustrating experience with a FFM.

Masks are so personal of a fit, and also as I told my DME who wanted me to come in and try the masks, in their office, that really that's a waste of time because the real trial is when the face muscles are fully relaxed at 2 AM or whenever one is hitting REM sleep.  That's the true test of the mask's fit and effectiveness.

Maybe as I age and my face changes shape, or gain weight, that these two FFM's will work for me.  I guess it's like getting a fine tailored suit, or even a bike fit.  Very personal.

So, maybe what I'm trying to say is try a Simplus, or the Vitera...see how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried the normal F30? It has different head gear and you may be able to get a more secure fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the F30 AirFit, and for the most part, it works well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my F30i.  it is my mask of choice, after trying nasal, full face masks, and now this hybrid mask.  Now that I have it setup where my leaks are minimal, I made a marks with a sharpie on the headgear indicating where I need to each of the 4 straps tightened to.  But that only comes into play when I have to take the headgear off to wash the components.  Once I have it set again, it is just attaching the magnets to the mask and I have the same fit night after night.

I use the medium mask and it works great. I didn't realize they offered a large mask for the F30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find the f30i requires more adjustments to work, and the extra effort is worth it.

I complete a full fit test every so often. That is, change the min/max to my highest pressures and assume as many sleeping positions as I can think of - most importantly pillow movements and other head and positioning scenarios.

It sounds obvious, and it is, but lying down and giving the mask a full workout while awake and checking for leaks does help.

Also I look at overall therapy, rather than focus on occasional leaks. I don't believe it is possible to eliminate all leaks, all of the time, without over tightening the f30i and causing more leaks later on - it can become a real trap, as most of us know, to tighten to the point the jaw position actually increases the severity of any apnea.

Last but not least, I personally swap over mask styles every so often - giving my face and mask a rest from the same old every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
To OP - Before giving up on F30i, try different mask cushions. I have learned that just because I am a "medium" with one mask does NOT mean a "medium" with other masks. If you have tried large, step down to a medium and see if that makes a better seal.

Example - The Brevida "large" pillow leaks for me, possibly because it is too big to seal well. The "small" works very well for me. Of course YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 8 140 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,950 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 362 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  For anyone who is thinking of giving up on CPAP because of the nuisance...... BigWing 3 406 02-12-2024, 07:04 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 915 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  ResMed F30i recall (for warnings about magnets) NelsonM 7 1,037 12-27-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: alpharomeo
  How to stop leakages from the F30i Full Face Mask by ResMed Jose Castro 8 1,566 11-18-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: UnknownActor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.