Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Glad I found this board! Near banned on others.
Glad I found this board! Near banned on others.
Wow. I am happy I found this board. I posted on another forum that I had changed my CPAP pressure and the post got deleted and I was warned not to do it again.

Here is what I find amazing. I have being using CPAP for a year and half. I recently decided to try an oral appliance. Under the sleep dentists orders, I am supposed to stop using the CPAP as I adjust to the O.A.

So I can post that I use CPAP. I can post that a doctor told me that I don't have to use the CPAP. But if I post that I reduced the pressure on my CPAP machine on my way to not using CPAP...I get near banned! Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Glad I found this board! Near banned on others.
welcome to our forum. every forum on the internet has their own rules for their own reasons. always remember to read to the rules at any forum before posting.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 05:01 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: always remember to read to the rules at any forum before posting.
It,s not always clear and it make no sense to have sleep apnea forum that ban software link. It belong to dinosaur era just like basic CPAP machines S9 Escape, PRS1 plus etc...

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 03:18 PM)SnorkelTodd Wrote: I posted on another forum that I had changed my CPAP pressure and the post got deleted and I was warned not to do it again.

What's your pressure set to now?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My prescribed pressure setting is 8 with CPAP alone. I have since reduced it to 5 in conjunction with using my oral appliance. This so far seems to be the sweet spot for using them together. Starting on Thursday, I will be able to start to adjust the oral appliance to work better. Hopefully I can transition to just using the O.A.
Post Reply Post Reply
What's your AHI under these various scenarios? Before the oral appliance with 8 cm, and now with 5 cm of pressure? And what portion of your AHI is due to obstructive apneas?

I, too, would like to transition to an oral appliance. I already wear one to prevent grinding, and my CPAP pressure is now 10 cm with a AHI of about 1.4, but most of that is not due to obstructive apneas. To me, these are all signs that an oral appliance might work for me.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeper,

So last night I slept for 8 hours. I had 2 hypopneas, 4 Clear Airways, 1 RERA and no obstructions. My AHI for the night was 0.8.

My sleep study a year and half ago was AHI of 33. With a pressure of 8 and no oral appliance, I pretty much average an AHI of 1.0. with a mix of hypopneas, clear airways and an occasion obstruction.

What I have noticed it that using both an oral appliance and the CPAP I can come down on pressure (to a 5) and maintain my AHI. If you drop the clear airways, my AHI is about 0.4. The clear airways spike as I come down in pressure, then subside with a day or two.

What I am soon to find out is if I can adjust the oral appliance enough to use it by itself. Right now if I just use the oral appliance, I feel like I got hit with a frying pan the next day. So I am somewhere between using both with just a little pressure and the O.A itself.

If you are interested, I will keep posting how it goes. Maybe on a better thread title Smile. I see the sleep dentist tomorrow to learn how to adjust it. Then the real fun will begin. I have had the oral appliance for two weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
keep notes on all of this. maybe somebody can use it to compose a wiki page.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 11:58 AM)SnorkelTodd Wrote: The clear airways spike as I come down in pressure, then subside with a day or two.

So, this is some kind of rebound effect. Therefore, if you eliminate CPAP therapy altogether, essentially setting your pressure to zero, you may temporarily induce some clear-airway apneas. These could be why you feel like crap with just the oral appliance and no CPAP. On the other hand, you could be experiencing genuine blocked-airway obstructive apneas.

You could wait and see how you feel after a few days of no CPAP therapy, but as far as I know the only definitive way to make a determination is to have a sleep study done with the oral appliance in place.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 01:59 PM)SnorkelTodd Wrote: My prescribed pressure setting is 8 with CPAP alone. I have since reduced it to 5 in conjunction with using my oral appliance. This so far seems to be the sweet spot for using them together. Starting on Thursday, I will be able to start to adjust the oral appliance to work better. Hopefully I can transition to just using the O.A.

How will you instrument the quality of your sleep using just the oral appliance without using your CPAP to do so?

I think my Resmed S9 Autoset can only go as low as 4 cm H20; does your unit allow you to run with a lower pressure, say zero? This would allow you to use your CPAP to measure your sleep quality.

I am interested in your experiments. Please keep us informed.

Netskier
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 444 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,622 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 627 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,518 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,361 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
Information [Admin Note] Apnea Board now operating under SSL encryption SuperSleeper 3 1,677 06-09-2023, 11:48 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.