Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Glad I found this board! Near banned on others.
RE: Glad I found this board! Near banned on others.
SnorkelTodd,
I would get a pulse oximeter to monitor your O2 saturation
levels while you are transitioning from CPAP to OA. That would
give you the most accurate information about the success
of the new treatment. You can get a pretty decent one for
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2012, 06:54 PM)SnorkelTodd Wrote: The sleep dentist told me that I will probably feel tired when I drop off the CPAP. He said your body is used to breathing with the CPAP pressure and it take some time for it to adjust back to no CPAP. A withdrawal effect. I think as Sleepster mentioned, it seems to me that dropping my pressure causes a spike in clear airway apneas.

Raising your pressure can induce clear-airway apneas.

You could try using your CPAP machine at the lowest setting while wearing your dental appliance. If the CPAP data shows you are still experiencing obstructive apneas and hypopneas in excess of 5 per hour, or whatever number you deem appropriate, then you know the dental appliance is not working. On the other hand, if your AHI is very low, then you know the dental appliance might be working.

To remove the last bit of doubt you could use an oximeter, but only a sleep study could tell you for sure.

And you can factor in how your feel, but that is subjective and depends on lots of other stuff that happens to us as we live our lives day to day.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In very simple terms, sleep apnea results in two main modes of damage. 1st Sleep Disruption - The fatique is only part of the problem, studies show sleep disruption can be associated with very real physiologial issues (heart disease, diabetes, etc.). 2nd Oxygen Deprevation - If you don't get sufficient O2 to your brain, organs, and muscles, they get damaged.

As recommended in other posts, a recording Oximeter can show if you are getting the 2nd issue by showing your blood O2 saturation. The exact number depends on many things (age, smoking, respiratory health, etc.) but, in general, if you are going below 85% on a regular basis, talk with your doctor.

This is a very simple statement of a complicated medical issue but hopefully gives you some direction. There is never a replacement for the services of a competent medical professional.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 446 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,622 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 627 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,518 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,361 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
Information [Admin Note] Apnea Board now operating under SSL encryption SuperSleeper 3 1,677 06-09-2023, 11:48 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.