Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Glaucoma: Best mask?
Glaucoma: Best mask?
Since starting CPAP therapy my glaucoma pressures have gone from 21 in each eye to 30. Does anyone have an idea which mask would be better in this situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Glaucoma: Best mask?
There are total face masks that apply the same CPAP pressure to the external portion of the eye.
You could Google "Total face cpap mask" and find examples.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 01:39 AM)Lukie Wrote: Since starting CPAP therapy my glaucoma pressures have gone from 21 in each eye to 30. Does anyone have an idea which mask would be better in this situation?

Hi Lukie,
The Respironics FitLife Mask should help with equalizing the pressure over the entire face. This is a Total Face Mask. I believe there are a few people on this board that use that mask, maby they will chime in with some advise. Also, you can check out the mask reviews section.
I myself have been considering this mask as a backup because I have trouble with my eyes being irritated most mornings from air blowing on them.
OpalRose
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fitlife masks should NOT be used on people with Glaucoma. It's "contraindicated" by the manufacturer.

http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc...ifeOIS.pdf

I presume this would apply to all total face masks.

This makes sense to me. The mask would increase the pressure on the outside of your eye, which might increase the pressure between the inside of your eye and your bloodstream. When I think about it, the physics of the situation is complex, so I could see it making glaucoma, worse, better, or not affecting it at all.

The manufacturer DOES say NOT to use a total face mask if you have glaucoma. I don't know it this is a general caution because your eyes are involved, or if they have actual data on glaucoma effects with total face mask users.

By the way, don't confuse a total face mask with a full face mask. A total face mask goes over the eyes. A full face mask covers the nose and mouth.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I understand the contraindication for the total face mask. IOP depends on the outflow of fluid from the eye through a set of micro slots in the edge of the cornea. Applying pressure to the external eye would impede that fluid flow.

Good catch Archangle.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it can't get much worse than it already is. I have used nasal and full face masks for the past year and my eye pressures have gone from 20-30 in that period. So something relating to CPAP is driving up my pressures. I'll see what happens. If my pressures get even worse I'll stop using the fit life. If they get better I'll keep it. I don't think they have done enough research in this area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe I can wear a pair of swimming goggles under the Fit LIfe.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 01:39 AM)Lukie Wrote: Since starting CPAP therapy my glaucoma pressures have gone from 21 in each eye to 30. Does anyone have an idea which mask would be better in this situation?

I am not inclined to think there is a relationship between CPAP and glaucoma. As I understand it, glaucoma is the increasing pressure of the inter-ocular fluid within the eyes. Can't see how CPAP air would affect it. Having said that, since "normal" pressure is somewhere between 9 & 14, a pressure of 30 would tend to crush the optic nerve resulting in loss of sight. I'd would advise you to see your ophthalmologist right away. Perhaps a change of eye drop is indicated. I lost the sight of one eye because of too high pressure.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
I am going to post a link to a power point summary of a study on glaucoma, OSA and xPAP from the Loyola University Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine.
http://www.stritch.luc.edu/depts/ophtha/...Watson.ppt

It seems that not treating OSA puts ones eyes at risk; and using xPAP may also have ill effects. Yours to read and interpret.

Some people have increased intracranial pressure that causes GLC. Others have a problem with venting fluid at the edge of the cornea.
An option that is available to some people is surgical -- a relief in the drain mechanism of the eye.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2015, 03:45 PM)Lukie Wrote: Maybe I can wear a pair of swimming goggles under the Fit LIfe.

That is not going to reduce the pressure on your eyes. The air under the swim goggles will be the same as the pressure under the fitlife mask.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to apap and glaucoma Happyeyes 7 474 01-30-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,831 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.