Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Glaucoma: Best mask?
(03-05-2015 12:40 PM)justMongo Wrote:  I think I understand the contraindication for the total face mask. IOP depends on the outflow of fluid from the eye through a set of micro slots in the edge of the cornea. Applying pressure to the external eye would impede that fluid flow.

Think of the eye as being a plastic soda bottle. Now, imagine CPAP air pressure squeezing on half of the bottle. The pressure inside the bottle would go up.

CPAP pressure can be up to 20 cmH2O, which is about 15 mmHg. They measure glaucoma in mmHg.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-05-2015 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(03-05-2015 03:34 PM)Lukie Wrote:  Well it can't get much worse than it already is. I have used nasal and full face masks for the past year and my eye pressures have gone from 20-30 in that period. So something relating to CPAP is driving up my pressures. I'll see what happens. If my pressures get even worse I'll stop using the fit life. If they get better I'll keep it. I don't think they have done enough research in this area.

I don't see any reason to think it will help, and several reasons to think it might hurt, including a direct warning from the manufacturer.

It's doubly bad because it could be increasing the pressure on your retina during your sleep and that wouldn't show up in glaucoma tests once you take the mask off.

If you want to experiment with masks for glaucoma, get an Oracle Oral mask, and learn to use it without the nose plugs. That way, there is only pressure in your mouth and throat, not in the nose, like other kinds of masks. There's some info on the mask in the useful links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

Have you discussed CPAP vs. glaucoma with your doctors?

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-05-2015 05:48 PM
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

Sex: Female

(03-05-2015 04:16 PM)woozie38 Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 01:39 AM)Lukie Wrote:  Since starting CPAP therapy my glaucoma pressures have gone from 21 in each eye to 30. Does anyone have an idea which mask would be better in this situation?

I am not inclined to think there is a relationship between CPAP and glaucoma. As I understand it, glaucoma is the increasing pressure of the inter-ocular fluid within the eyes. Can't see how CPAP air would affect it. Having said that, since "normal" pressure is somewhere between 9 & 14, a pressure of 30 would tend to crush the optic nerve resulting in loss of sight. I'd would advise you to see your ophthalmologist right away. Perhaps a change of eye drop is indicated. I lost the sight of one eye because of too high pressure.

Read this and comment please.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18326715
03-05-2015 08:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
woozie38 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon + Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Integral
CPAP Pressure: 8 to 14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: 17 years of CPAP + supp. oxygen @ 3 L/min

Sex: Male

(03-05-2015 08:32 PM)Lukie Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 04:16 PM)woozie38 Wrote:  [quote='Lukie' pid='103207' dateline='1425537578']
Since starting CPAP therapy my glaucoma pressures have gone from 21 in each eye to 30. Does anyone have an idea which mask would be better in this situation?
Read this and comment please.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18326715

I have read this study and for me the sample was not big enough considering that world wide, 4% of men & 2% of women suffer from SDB. It was not a double blind study in the true sense of the word & where XPAP may contribute to high IOP in some people, it is a long bow to draw to say that a correlation exists exponentially.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
03-05-2015 09:53 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I looked into this myself a few years ago as I have ocular hypertension although I'll probably get the glaucoma dx this year. I found the thread where we discussed it back then:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Health-CPAP-and-eye-pressure

If I remember right, the pressure on the eye from the CPAP is minimal but the oxygen benefits is far better.

Have you ever tried an oral mask? I wonder if that would do you any good?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-06-2015 12:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

No, I hate a dry mouth. I am going to try the Fit Life anyway. The pressure is distributed over the whole face instead of pinching the tear ducts and nasal sinuses. I ordered a dry eye shield from the dry eye store. This will keep my eyes from getting dry.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 07:40 AM by Lukie.)
03-06-2015 07:34 AM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

(03-06-2015 07:34 AM)Lukie Wrote:  No, I hate a dry mouth. I am going to try the Fit Life anyway. The pressure is distributed over the whole face instead of pinching the tear ducts and nasal sinuses. I ordered a dry eye shield from the dry eye store. This will keep my eyes from getting dry.

Let's see: The mfg says don't use this mask if you have glaucoma? But you're going to do that anyway? Hmmm. Really?
03-06-2015 03:39 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Cappy Offline

New Members

Machine: resmed
Mask Type: Hybrid
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

There are several studies showing that CPAP can increase IOP, including the Loyola Study mentioned above. I just had this conversation today with my glaucoma doctor. There have been several studies with conflicting results. I tried CPAP and felt that the exertion required to exhale was uncomfortable, which made me wonder if that type of exertion could possibly increase IOP. I then found the studies. Variable PAP (also commonly called Bi-Pap) lowers the exhale pressure. I will be trying that shortly. It's a complex issue when you have both apnea and glaucoma. Lower oxygen saturation can also affect ocular perfusion pressure. AutoPap appears to be the therapy that does not increase IOP, but the Medicare coverage criteria is very explicit and does not take glaucoma into consideration, unfortunately. The other study (which you can find by doing a Google search) is "Evaluation of Intro-Ocular Pressure in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome Before and After One Month of CPAP Therapy -- s. Kiekens, et al. The best scenario would be measurement of 24-hr. IOP. My glaucoma doc said it's not generally available in the US unless you can find a clinical study. That's my next search. It seems outrageous to me that we don't yet have a reasonably priced way to measure our own IOP.
03-13-2015 10:11 PM
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Don't hold your breath. I use an APAP and my pressures have gone from 20 to 30 in each eye with RESMED s9 autoset apap.
I read those articles. I don't know what to think. I guess I will just end up on drops soon.
03-14-2015 08:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp/Resmed F10 on standby 4 allergy season
Humidifier: Airsense 10 humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mask recommendations: 1) Wisp 2) Eson (Avoid P10 and N10)

(03-06-2015 03:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 07:34 AM)Lukie Wrote:  No, I hate a dry mouth. I am going to try the Fit Life anyway. The pressure is distributed over the whole face instead of pinching the tear ducts and nasal sinuses. I ordered a dry eye shield from the dry eye store. This will keep my eyes from getting dry.

Let's see: The mfg says don't use this mask if you have glaucoma? But you're going to do that anyway? Hmmm. Really?

If the manufacturer does not recommend this mask for use when you have glaucoma, I just wonder: Are you looking forward to being blind?

Try wearing a sleep mask over your eyes all day long and get a feel for what blindness might be like. Good luck to you. If money spent is the issue, you might want to sell that mask on Ebay to recoup some of your investment and use the money towards a mask that is better suited for you.

Good luck to you.
03-15-2015 06:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] Sleep apnea may be risk factor for glaucoma ApneaNews 7 2,117 12-05-2015 11:14 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  Cpap & Glaucoma Mosquitobait 14 2,547 05-14-2015 05:40 PM
Last Post: storywizard