Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie, Treatment Emergant Centrals and Cheyne Stokes??
Newbie, Treatment Emergant Centrals and Cheyne Stokes??
Hello Everyone, 
I am in my third week of treatment, diagnosed with mild obstructive apnea, 9.0 AHI. In home study with WatchPAT showed no centrals. 
The Oscar data is showing Centrals and Cheyne Stokes, Huhsign   I have since learned that this is not uncommon, well the centrals anyways. 

I am otherwise healthy (could stand to loose a few lbs.), no medications or injuries. No heart issues, thankfully. No drugs or alcohol...

I am looking for some help interpreting the Oscar data (this is an awesome program, I have so much to learn)! 
Unless I am reading this incorrectly the flow limit does not seem to indicate a tucked chin, but I could be wrong...
Any recommendations or pointers would be welcomed.

Doctor didn't seem too concerned about the CA's. 
Basically he said that we would look at it in 3 months, after I have had time to adjust to the APAP. 

What are your thoughts about the data? I have posted 3 images, in increasing zoom, first is the whole night, second is the CA's and third is a more detailed look at the CA events.
Thanks for your input and I really appreciate the forum, I have learned a great deal already! 

Thanks again,
Zees~

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie, Treatment Emergant Centrals and Cheyne Stokes??
Your data looks pretty good with the exception of the cluster of CAs near the end of the night. is that a recurring pattern or a one time event? Increasing your minimum pressure to 7 may be an improvement since most feel starved for air at 4. Please replace the tidal volume and mask pressure graphs with machine pressure and leak rate, Those data are usually more helpful. Flow limits could be a little lower. You may benefit from using EPR,
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Melman,
Thanks for your review of the screens, new ones attached with the graphs that you requested. 
Unfortunatly this is not a one time event. It also seems to be happening only at the end of the night.
Not sure if that is a factor.

The centrals were more prevalent during the first 2 weeks of therapy and my therapist recommended that I take EPR to ramp only in an effort to eliminate the centrals. That is why it's at 2 and ramp only at the moment. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. 
I did have a few good nights with no centrals after setting the EPR to ramp only, but they returned after 3 nights. 
Hopefully the new graphs give better insight.

Good to know that the numbers look good, still hoping to feel better as treatment progresses. Still foggy and tired during the day, although it's better, just too soon, I suppose.

One thing I have noticed is that my sense of smell has returned, not sure if anyone else has experienced that, but for years I have not been able to really smell (pre - covid). Now I can!

Thanks again,
Zees~

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your Ramp is set to 4cmw meaning that your EPR is totally off, never on.
For most users 4cmw is too low of a pressure.
Turn Ramp off.

A zoom, no more than 10 minutes, showing your breathing before and for the first of the CA events would be helpful.

What is happening is you are jumping into cyclic breathing including over recovery all of which is centered on your CO2 apneic threshold. Our main drive to breathe is, simply put, the need to remove CO2 and its byproducts. You see the CA events at the nadir where your CO2 levels drop below your apneic threshold. These typically go away over 2-3 months as your body adapts. In the meantime we want to stop that cyclic patter from starting.

Set min=max=8, EPR=Off ( or Ramp=Off as mentioned above)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 43 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 379 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,787 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.