Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gogirl - Sleep Apnea Thread
RE: Which machine
If you actually have a choice, the ResMed AirSense 10 or 11 AutoSet would be your best choice.

Both of these machines have the ability to provide APAP therapy. Unless you need very high pressure and a great difference between IPAP and EPAP, the bilevel machine isn't necessary. APAP therapy on the ResMed offers up to 3 cm of exhale relief which is comfortable for most people.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with UPSMAN. I am also a Kaiser patient and was prescribed a ResMed AS 10 AutoSet. Nowadays, I believe they have upgraded their default recommendation to AS11 AutoSet. Kaiser will do that they believe your symptoms require. If they don't think you need a BiLevel machine, you can ask all you want but won't likely get one unless you have relevant expertise. If you review your sleep study and have the expertise to be certain BiLevel is medically necessary, maybe you would have better success.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bird in hand. Whichever AutoSet is available for you to get.
Post Reply Post Reply
After using Philips for 2 years then buying a Resmed 2 weeks ago... Resmed. Wish I'd got it sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely ResMed. Talk to your doc and discuss what you want. Get them to write the script by name with dispense as written. Our sleep doc want nothing to do with Phillips machines especially after the recent recall debacle. ResMed uses a different algorithm which I think is more responsive to my treatment. You want a machine that will give you good data that you can download and read in OSCAR (see link to OSCAR on the top bar).

If you look on the forum, there are some issues with the Phillips Dreamstation 2 in regard to the manner in which they encrypt their data.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my results
}Finally got my results. Moderate - but I am concerned that I had oxygen below 88% for over 4 minutes. New to All of this - does this mean I will need oxygen and a Cpap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my results
Was it a spurt of 4 minutes contiguous? Or bunch of of small spurts that added up to 4 minutes?
I am not one of the experts. So I have questions too. I go down to 84% frequently but only for few seconds each.
I was told by DME Tech that below 88% qualifies for Oxygen supplementation. But the little research I have done, 
it requires below 88% for 8 minutes. Seems crazy to me. I worry that below 90% we are having damage.

My study showed 84%, so I purchased an all night oximeter. That may be a good idea for you also.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my results
Although I was told my apnea is mild, I had 40 minutes during the night of my home study with SPO2 in the 80s. I was prescribed a CPAP and after two weeks of use I did an overnight SPO2 monitoring by the company who provided the machine to see if supplemental oxygen was needed. My readings from that test were in the 90s.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2022, 12:23 PM)upsman Wrote: If you actually have a choice, the ResMed AirSense 10 or 11 AutoSet would be your best choice.

Both of these machines have the ability to provide APAP therapy. Unless you need very high pressure and a great difference between IPAP and EPAP, the bilevel machine isn't necessary. APAP therapy on the ResMed offers up to 3 cm of exhale relief which is comfortable for most people.

upsman - Is the ResMed AirSense 9 AutoSet also good? I ask because I fear insurance is going to take back my 11 AutoSet, but I have a 9 AutoSet that I picked up while waiting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an old ResMed S9 as a backup. It worked fine but is not an AutoSet. My new doctor complied with my request for a more recent model and prescribed my AS10 AutoSet about 4 years ago. 

Why would your insurance company take back your current machine?

As long as it's working correctly at the moment, it should work well enough until you can get a newer model. Just be aware of the hours. When you get to a certain threshold, the machine may warn you that it's getting near the end of its life. You can generally ignore this and carry on for some time without issue.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,067 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 288 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.