Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Amara view issues, air swallowing....
RE: Amara view issues, air swallowing....
Recipe, thanks for feedback on tape. My issue also was my lips opening a bit on exhale.

AndyB, thanks to you as well for feedback on tape. I, too am using the Amara View because I didn't want to tape for a number of reasons. But with the AV, I just haven't been able to get my AHI below 10 after a month of trying. Just now cranking pressure up - 12-18 last night with 95% pressure just below 18. With the P-10 pillows I ran 8-15 with 95% pressure at about 12 and AHI 1-2. I like the AV mask, but it is not comfortable (including air swallowing) at these pressures - at least not yet.

Question, Andy - how did you place the tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2015, 01:11 PM)BKeeper Wrote: Question, Andy - how did you place the tape?

I used 3M Micropore 1" surgical tape and taped my entire mouth lengthwise along my lips, overlapping each side of my mouth by 1/2" or so. Peeling it off my lips in the morning was unpleasant, but not brutal. I just couldn't imagine doing that for the rest of my life.

Here's an informative -- and controversial -- website that advocates taping: http://buteykoclinic.com/blog/anxiety/ne...-at-night/
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, AndyB, and let us know how it goes, Recipe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I used a bit of tape to keep my cheeks aligned with my mask properly. Just an inch long piece underneath the lower strap. I found that I needed uncomfortably tight lower straps to keep the mask with me as I moved in sleep until I tried this. Last night was decent, pressure 6.8, not much pain, and no leaks at all!! I didn't wake up cause of the mask as I normally would.

I'd love to be able to stop taping my mouth as it prevents me from speaking or taking pills.... But I hate that totally dred out mouth that wakes me up.

I had another idea that I haven't tried yet but might be helpful to others. I saw those expensive gel "gaskets" and wanted to kind of try the idea without commitment. I remembered these seasonal glass stick-on decorations that are kind of like thin jello. I bought a school bus at Target (Smile) to try.... I like that they're sticky on both sides to keep things in place, and that they should offer some padding, too... Would have preferred a whole sheet of the stuff as it can be hard to find a big piece, but this will do for now. Only $1 wasted if not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone tried a mouthguard? I bought a couple of the ones in this video from Century Martial Arts thinking I might need one with nasal pillows (turns out I don't). They are pretty nice though.

Here's another video on it: Full Face CPAP Mask: Do You Really Need One?

Linkless: YouTube videos N8tuVqAd8RI and hK2uE07bvKc

Post Reply Post Reply
I found that a mouth guard made me wake up with a jaw ache. I have a small mouth and they also kind of feel too thick, even after I tried to trim off excess material...

I also don't think they would prevent the little lip gap that is my issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 08:51 AM)Recipefordisaster Wrote: I found that a mouth guard made me wake up with a jaw ache. I have a small mouth and they also kind of feel too thick, even after I tried to trim off excess material...

I also don't think they would prevent the little lip gap that is my issue.

They make a "Youth" model that I need to spread just a bit while it's hot for my tiny wife.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 349 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 214 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.