Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going down a rabbit hole!
Going down a rabbit hole!
Hey everyone, after about 6-9 months of being in the zone and having good quality sleep w/ my ResMed AirSense 10, I am trying to figure out why things seem to be deteriorating.  During that "good" period, my AHI was typically in a range of 1.0 to 2.0 (Obstructions 0.5-1.0 and Clear Airways 0.5-1.0; pressure 12-15).  I felt fairly well rested.

Several months ago, something seemed to change.  AHI became more variable night to night (1.5-3.5 or so) but what was more concerning was that I didn't feel as well rested in the mornings.  Machine and mask remained the same, with leaks well controlled, and I don't think I was doing anything different re sleeping position.  I had gained a little weight, however.  Ultimately, I bumped up the pressure a bit and tightened the range a bit (from 12-15 to 14-16).

This did not seem to help much.  I then potentially complicated things by starting 20mg daily of prozac.  Almost immediately, I began to see more deterioration in the numbers, with AHI moving into a range of 3-6 with increases in both obstructions (1.5-3.0) and clear airways (1.5-3.0).  I have read that SSRIs like prozac can impact REM sleep and make breathing more shallow, possibly creating more clear airway events.  

I feel like I have gone down a rabbit hole here, constantly looking at SleepyHead and trying to figure out why I am not feeling as rested (even prior to prozac) and what can be done.  Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?  What did you do?  Am I right on how SSRIs can impact #s?  Should I go back in for a sleep study to rebaseline things?  Or in the big picture are these numbers ok and I am worrying too much?

Thanks for any help - I don't have access to SleepyHead at the moment, but can post images later of helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going down a rabbit hole!
If you would post some data from #SleepyHead, we might see something in your graphs and be able to advise.

Follow the tutorials in my signature line, and post a screenshot or two here.

As far as using Prozac or any medicines, you can count on it affecting your numbers.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Absolutely OpalRose, thanks.  Below I am linking two time series:
The first is from just last night (8/2/17) when my AHI was 6 with a pressure range of 14-16 and EPR 2.
The second is from March 2017 when I was consistently getting AHI ranges of 1.5-2.5 or so at pressures of 12-15 and EPR of 2.  

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

[Image: viiw9y9l.png]

[Image: tkakk71l.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Mabye go back to the pressure range that gave the best results.

One thing that may help with the Clear Airways is to lower the EPR to 1, and eventually off.

I do see the increase in CA's and obstructives, which may have increased due to the Prozac. I'm no doctor, but just assuming.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, in the first graph does the way the pressure bumps up against 16 suggest that I should actually be at a higher figure?  Like 17?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2017, 09:32 AM)richcrab Wrote: This did not seem to help much.  I then potentially complicated things by starting 20mg daily of prozac.  Almost immediately, I began to see more deterioration in the numbers, with AHI moving into a range of 3-6 with increases in both obstructions (1.5-3.0) and clear airways (1.5-3.0).  I have read that SSRIs like prozac can impact REM sleep and make breathing more shallow, possibly creating more clear airway events.  

It could be that something else changed that caused you to start taking prozac. Whatever that thing was, it could be responsible for you not feeling as rested. Anything like that can have an affect on your AHI.

Then when you started taking the prozac, things went further south. I would talk to your doctor about an alternative to the prozac. Emphasize that it makes you feel less rested when you take it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, I would say yes. The pressure bumped up to the max in response to obstructives, but then lowered probably due to the CA's.

If you keep raising the pressure, you could experience more CA's. I would first try reducing the EPR setting.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys, I will tweak and see what I can do
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last night's results, reducing the ERP from 2 to 1.  I noticed the difference in terms of exhalation, but reducing the ERP did seem to have a + effect as overall AHI reduced from 6 the night before to 3.  Of course, I realize one night is not a trend.  Anyone see anything notable in the graphs?  Thanks again.

[Image: x3peJeKl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
So far the only consistent trend I see is that AHI is worse with higher pressure. EPR does not seem to be a problem. Your results in March were with a pressure of 12-15, EPR 2. The increase to 14-16 does not seem to have been particularly helpful. The results for 8/3 actually has a slightly lower median pressure than August 2.

I think the setting changes are occurring too fast here to establish a trend, but I'm curious why the increase in pressure from your March baseline which appears to be better in terms of results?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 444 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Hole in Tubing - Thanks, Cat! garrityd 15 2,749 11-16-2021, 02:53 PM
Last Post: garrityd
  Vent hole / slot / Vent entry port jonathan richardson 4 1,360 10-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Last Post: chill
Question NOSE-HOLE POLL SuperSleeper 44 20,583 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Has anyone tried repairing a hole in a mask cushion? big_dave 25 24,302 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.