Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going rogue, temporarily at least
Going rogue, temporarily at least
So based on available appointment times for various doctors, combined with my own schedule for travel, etc., it seems the soonest I can realistically expect my sleep doctor to make any kind of NEW recommendation for me will be December.  In the meantime, I continue to have kind of lousy nights, as this suggests:
[attachment=8070]

I've been on fixed pressure for months now, 10 cm H20. The doctor started me on APAP, 8-12 cm, but it didn't do much for me. Maybe I didn't try it for long enough, and maybe he didn't choose an appropriate pressure range. Anyway, he put me on a fixed pressure after a few weeks, and I've been there ever since.

I thought I might try using APAP to see if it makes any difference. I set the machine to 9-15 last night, and ended up with this:
[attachment=8071][attachment=8072]

It seems to me that in trying to push through my OSAs, the machine is going to the maximum setting of 15 cm.  I wonder if I should give it a wider range, or at least a higher upper limit?  Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going rogue, temporarily at least
I would give using a soft cervical collar a shot. Some of those clustered events may be caused by your chin tucking in and cutting of your airway. The collar can prevent that from happening. You might also be able to drop the pressure while using the collar. Not much you can do about the CA events with the machine you have.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do use a cervical collar already.

But along those lines, I’m thinking a different pillow might be indicated. I use a memory foam pillow, a fairly firm one. It’s not overly thick, I feel it might prop my head up just a little too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
A flatter pillow may help. Make sure the collar is under jaw bone so your chin doesn't slip into the collar while your sleeping.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
fwiw, I've given up my foam shaped contoured fancy pillow in favor of a buckwheat one. foam was too firm against cheek and headgear, sometimes mask; also probably contributed to bent neck chin tucking. now I stand the foam pillow on it's long edge between the bw pillow and the wall to help keep bw pillow compressed in the shape I want. collar and buckwheat is best combination for me so far for reducing leaks (last night my max epap was about 13; max ipap about 23.5 with 2 short large leaks at about 17.5cm; with collar and bw pillow I think my leaks occur more from rolling onto my back than from pressure) and clusters of events (last night ahi 0.32). not saying you will get similar ahi with your machine but do encourage trying buckwheat or similar pillow as it might help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High CA Low AHI & tired, ENT Refused treatment, going rogue storesmoothie 2 863 04-04-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone gone rogue? (No insurance) SCgargoyle 29 3,307 05-20-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How to renew ramp time after temporarily stopping Airsense 10 Auto? Spunky8 9 5,360 09-04-2018, 08:51 AM
  A warning about rogue USB SD-card readers Fats Drywaller 2 1,671 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
Cool [CPAP] Should I Go Rogue? Sheepish 35 5,636 10-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Walla Walla
  Going "Rogue" - Buying a CPAP Machine on Amazon pbwebb 14 11,456 04-15-2017, 01:07 PM
  [split] Going "Rogue" - MyAir leak results Matzaball2016 2 1,433 04-12-2017, 08:24 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.