Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going through my first cold on CPAP
Going through my first cold on CPAP
Any tips from more experienced CPAPers? I use the nasal pillows, and I'm finding it a little more difficult to breathe with my nose stuffed up some. I've tried using menthol on my chest to open up the airways, as well as sleeping at about a 120 degree angle to avoid buildup.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going through my first cold on CPAP
I try to focus on relaxing into the pressure and letting it open my sinuses. I have never tried menthol or other tricks. A decongestant or saline nasal mist (avoid Afrin) and getting the humidity right can sure help. I have never missed a night or been unable to use CPAP due to a cold or sinus infection, and have never used a full face mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the time I used a nasal mask and running at higher pressures (18 cmH2O) would just open things up.
When that didn't work I'd use an old FFM. I feel that every CPAPer should have a backup FFM for use when other methods do not work.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the P10s actually kept my nostrils open. I breathed better with the P10s then without them. I would use Mucinex just before bed.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
When it's just the normal cold the P10 opens me up. If I am super congested I'll take a Halls, suck on it. Put on the P10. Then breathe in through my nose, and out through my mouth for a few minutes while my climate line heats up, and opens my sinuses. After a few minutes I'll usually spit out the Halls and be pretty clear to fall asleep. I find the CPAP actually helps clear my sinuses than anything else ever did. I've also used some Vicks vapor rub on my chest to help on some really awful nights.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Of course it is your fault that as I went to bed last night, I was congested, had a nagging cough and temperature of 100. Thanks

I used Robitussin Multi-Symptom cold relief and asprin. Got up at 1:30 to refresh; ended up with a record 10:47 of CPAP time and a AHI of 0.0 for only the second time in 9 years. Dont-know

The nasal congestion was not a problem, but the cough made for disrupted sleep, weird dreams and an interesting flow line.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the comments. The second night was a lot better, after turning up the humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2016, 10:07 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Of course it is your fault that as I went to bed last night, I was congested, had a nagging cough and temperature of 100. Thanks

I used Robitussin Multi-Symptom cold relief and asprin. Got up at 1:30 to refresh; ended up with a record 10:47 of CPAP time and a AHI of 0.0 for only the second time in 9 years. Dont-know

The nasal congestion was not a problem, but the cough made for disrupted sleep, weird dreams and an interesting flow line.

The power of suggestion will get you every time. Might I suggest you feel better Big Grin
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am dealing with my first illness on CPAP. Have bronchitis and starting week three of coughing. Finished steroid and zpak but he cough lingers on. Doc said it would for a month. Sad
On my worst nights when I cough every breath and felt I was dying I didn't use the cpap and sat upright. It's miserable. I am afraid of getting sick all over again using the mask and tubing. Is there anything special to do to disinfect other than washing it like normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's almost impossible for you to make yourself sick through the use of your own cpap tubing and mask. Good ordinary hygiene is adequate. As an illness progresses, the body develops antibodies that can give you increased immunity. Any low-level of contamination from your CPAP equipment will not reinfect you as your body clears that infection. Hospitals and clinics that reuse respiratory equipment use a highly diluted solution of Control III to disinfect between users. I have used Star-San, a food-grade acid sanitizer that I use in brewing beer. Either one will offer very high disinfection rates and a residual effect, and are odor-free and safe when properly diluted.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 547 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 608 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 887 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 831 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,270 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 898 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 961 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.