Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question About Tooth Pulled
Question About Tooth Pulled
Hi, I had a tooth pulled today as emergency, lost blood and don't have other teeth in the area of where my tooth was pulled. Can I use my Bipap (setting 14-18) tonight or do I have to wait a specified time? Dentist said it was ok but don't think he knew much about sleep apnea. My sleep doctor not around for the weekend. Thanks all who answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question About Tooth Pulled
Riv, if it's not too painful I would use it, your using a FFM so it shouldn't push on your teeth, possibly the lower ones if the mask pushes up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Riv,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a molar extracted last spring. Used my CPAP system with my FFM that very night. No problem.

I was given a mouth rinse with Chlorhexedine gluconate which I used just before mask strap on.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
What about using the heated humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had (sadly) a tooth pulled multiple different times. The dentist didn't know, and didn't care either way, but didn't think it would be an issue. Sleep doc said it was up to me, but if no machine, I was to sleep in a recliner or chair.

All that said, I have always used my machine, right after a tooth pull (Dental chicken, shocky when I get home, directly to bed after) - one time I ended up with a 'dry socket' - no idea if the machine caused it or not.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I'm afraid of is getting dry socket, Pete.
Read the Mayo Clinic on and how to prevent Dry Socket.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP should cause no issues with a typical tooth extraction. A humidifier would be best as it would help to keep the mouth moisturized.

A dry socket happens when that blood clot (within the hole left by the tooth) is removed. Usually that happens from sucking on a straw or some other similar action. I don't believe that the air from a CPAP would be strong enough to do that. I would think the force of snoring due to NOT using the CPAP would be worse.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2014, 12:52 AM)Riv Wrote: One thing I'm afraid of is getting dry socket, Pete.
Read the Mayo Clinic on and how to prevent Dry Socket.

Well, the dentist himself didn't think the machine BLOWING air would/could cause a dry socket. Out of five pulls (so far), only one dry socket (more than enough thank you) - I only mentioned it for completeness - I did not smoke, or use straws for like a week after each pull - but I do tend to make a suction in my mouth at night - so who knows...

For me it was easy - sleep with machine, or do not sleep - 'nuff said...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 313 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  Tooth Extraction - Should I sleep without CPAP until healed? Hydrangea 10 18,029 11-14-2022, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Merrillguice
  Looking for Help - Excruciating Tooth Pain, a Dentist’s Check, and Diet Change RayBee 10 1,825 05-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Tooth extraction, safe to use CPAP right away? OneSnorer 4 8,883 10-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Last Post: unidee
  CPAP use after wisdom tooth extraction and sinus repair poma 2 1,903 02-08-2021, 01:52 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Is my high v2 snore actually tooth grinding 10313horn 2 1,090 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tooth Pain After Two Months Mask Use Art Stan 12 1,709 07-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Art Stan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.