Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going to Bathroom?
Going to Bathroom?
Going to bathroom at night, how is it connected to Sleep Apnea?
I have always gone to the bathroom many times a night and since being diagnosed with sleep apnea I find it is one of the symptoms. Could someone please explain this one to me please? Is it just a trigger, once you wake, you think you had better go? That's basically how I work.
I am hoping once I get hooked up in about two weeks that my nightly walks will all but cease.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Going to Bathroom?
Many health-care providers and ordinary people think of nocturia as a urological or gynecological problem," she said. "They don't understand that sleep apnea can cause the body to produce too much urine at night.

"People who wake up to urinate shouldn't assume that it's my prostate, or 'I'm just old'," she said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fam...-urination
Post Reply Post Reply
Nocturia - urinating at night
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-at-night

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 10:10 PM)zonk Wrote: Nocturia - urinating at night
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-at-night
Cheers Zonk!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone put a post on this forum I read a couple months ago describing how nocturia is triggered by OSA but I can't find it now. It had something to do with fight or flight and blood flow rushes out of the heart when one stops breathing then rushes back to the heart when one starts breathing again and it triggers a hormone that tells the kidney there is an overload of fluid in the body and the bladder fills. That may not be the exact description but as best as I can remember. When I was talking with the sleep doctor last week he described it similarly when I told him how amazed I was that I no longer had the problem in the night.

I have gone to the bathroom frequently in the night for the last several years. Sometimes as many as 4 and 5 times but always at least once and more likely twice a night. I never knew about nocturia associated with OSA before reading it on this forum. I assumed I was developing a weak bladder as my Mom has a very weak bladder. Since beginning CPAP almost 2 months ago, nocturia is 100% reversed for me. I don't get up at all. Also I go far less during the daytime. I would say that is the most significant change for me so far with CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk for finding that post. I looked and couldn't find it!
Post Reply Post Reply
During an apnea event, the heart rate and stroke volume increases, along with blood pressure, to try to keep the body oxygenated. Increased BP increases the pressure gradient in the nephron of the kidney pushing fluid out. Also, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system is up-regulated.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 09:58 PM)me50 Wrote: Many health-care providers and ordinary people think of nocturia as a urological or gynecological problem," she said. "They don't understand that sleep apnea can cause the body to produce too much urine at night.

"People who wake up to urinate shouldn't assume that it's my prostate, or 'I'm just old'," she said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fam...-urination

Thank you for the link me50, I had never heard of nocturia and over the years I have had all sorts of tests done for my frequent urination. Never has anyone mentioned S.A.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 10:21 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Someone put a post on this forum I read a couple months ago describing how nocturia is triggered by OSA but I can't find it now. It had something to do with fight or flight and blood flow rushes out of the heart when one stops breathing then rushes back to the heart when one starts breathing again and it triggers a hormone that tells the kidney there is an overload of fluid in the body and the bladder fills. That may not be the exact description but as best as I can remember. When I was talking with the sleep doctor last week he described it similarly when I told him how amazed I was that I no longer had the problem in the night.

I have gone to the bathroom frequently in the night for the last several years. Sometimes as many as 4 and 5 times but always at least once and more likely twice a night. I never knew about nocturia associated with OSA before reading it on this forum. I assumed I was developing a weak bladder as my Mom has a very weak bladder. Since beginning CPAP almost 2 months ago, nocturia is 100% reversed for me. I don't get up at all. Also I go far less during the daytime. I would say that is the most significant change for me so far with CPAP.
I have the same problem that used to have right down to my mother, and have done for years and the Doctors haven't been able to find a reason for it. So hopefully once I am up and running on cpap this will be another problem of mine that will be solved.
I found Zonk's link and it basically said what you said your Dr. said, and it all makes sense.
I am so pleased for you and will be keeping my fingers crossed for me.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I had not seen the link between the two till now. I just thought I was waking up so my body told me to get up and go. Now with my machine I've only got up once in a month. Needless to say when I do get up in the morning I have to go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] How should I pause CPAP (ResMed AS11) for a bathroom break? ThinMountainAir 7 12,447 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,041 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [Pressure] High pressure after bathroom visit Roamer321 15 2,075 02-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Roamer321
  Going to the bathroom lngtrm1 17 5,213 06-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Nightly bathroom trips - will they go away? Loboix 18 2,868 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Marillion
Question Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP HughT 7 4,575 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs kimgh 10 9,097 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Last Post: rhandel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.