Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Going to Bathroom?
RE: Going to Bathroom?
(01-18-2014, 09:33 PM)Gabby Wrote: Going to bathroom at night, how is it connected to Sleep Apnea?
I have always gone to the bathroom many times a night and since being diagnosed with sleep apnea I find it is one of the symptoms. Could someone please explain this one to me please? Is it just a trigger, once you wake, you think you had better go? That's basically how I work.
I am hoping once I get hooked up in about two weeks that my nightly walks will all but cease.

I asked my doctor the same thing. Assumed for years that I had BPH (benign prostatatic hyperplasia). Would wake up 4 or 5 times a night and have trouble urinating.

When I began bipap therapy, this disappeared. Like that.

When asking my family doctor the reason for this, (he's very up-to-date and able to explain things well) he told me that it was related to an adrenalyn reaction caused by "fight or flight" reaction from the lack of oxygen.

I'm sure this is explained in layman's terms and leaves out a lot of detail.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 09:58 PM)me50 Wrote: Many health-care providers and ordinary people think of nocturia as a urological or gynecological problem," she said. "They don't understand that sleep apnea can cause the body to produce too much urine at night.

"People who wake up to urinate shouldn't assume that it's my prostate, or 'I'm just old'," she said.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fam...-urination

Thanks for this article!!!! It describes me to a T. I live alone so I didn't even know I was snoring but I was waking up 3 times or more a night to go to the bathroom. This is now down to once a night with wonderful CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 11:59 AM)Lukie Wrote:
(01-18-2014, 09:58 PM)me50 Wrote: Many health-care providers and ordinary people think of nocturia as a urological or gynecological problem," she said. "They don't understand that sleep apnea can cause the body to produce too much urine at night.

"People who wake up to urinate shouldn't assume that it's my prostate, or 'I'm just old'," she said.

Thanks for this article!!!! It describes me to a T. I live alone so I didn't even know I was snoring but I was waking up 3 times or more a night to go to the bathroom. This is now down to once a night with wonderful CPAP.

you are doing really well and that is great news. I think a positive attitude and doing whatever we can to make this work makes a big difference too. Keep up the great efforts and continued success in your treatment!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 12:02 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 11:59 AM)Lukie Wrote:

you are doing really well and that is great news. I think a positive attitude and doing whatever we can to make this work makes a big difference too. Keep up the great efforts and continued success in your treatment!

How can one help but have a positive attitude when one is snatched from the jaws of death. I was so miserable before CPAP. Even with mild OSA, my low oxygen levels were making my life HELL.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good Luck Gabby! My family was even making remarks to me I was getting to be like my Mom when I had to go so much. I love my Mom dearly but sure was hoping I wasn't getting the weak bladder. It is great not having to get up so much in the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same thing happened to me. I used to go about every hour and a half. I thought I had an enlarged prostate. One of the doctors I worked for was on CPAP and told me it could be that I had sleep
apnea. I didn't believe him so I looked it up. Sure was correct.
This was before I had collected enough info to pursue my CPAP
therapy. As soon as I had everything all dialed in I found that on some nights I didn't have to get up even once. Most of the time now
4 nights a week I get up once, 3 not at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 12:14 PM)Lukie Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 12:02 PM)me50 Wrote:
(01-19-2014, 11:59 AM)Lukie Wrote: Thanks for this article!!!! It describes me to a T. I live alone so I didn't even know I was snoring but I was waking up 3 times or more a night to go to the bathroom. This is now down to once a night with wonderful CPAP.

How can one help but have a positive attitude when one is snatched from the jaws of death. I was so miserable before CPAP. Even with mild OSA, my low oxygen levels were making my life HELL.

Lukie I know how you were feeling, that is how I am feeling now, miserable and my life is hell.
I keep telling myself I am on the home straight now. Just waiting for the prescription to come through in about two weeks.

I love reading all of your positive stories. They are what keep me going every day.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 03:20 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Good Luck Gabby! My family was even making remarks to me I was getting to be like my Mom when I had to go so much. I love my Mom dearly but sure was hoping I wasn't getting the weak bladder. It is great not having to get up so much in the night.

Smile Thanks ImaS. Another problem I hope I will be able to tick off the list.
Not long to go now until I am all set up.
I just keep reading this forum every day and learning more and more invaluable information from you all.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2014, 03:35 PM)GreyParrot Wrote: Same thing happened to me. I used to go about every hour and a half. I thought I had an enlarged prostate. One of the doctors I worked for was on CPAP and told me it could be that I had sleep
apnea. I didn't believe him so I looked it up. Sure was correct.
This was before I had collected enough info to pursue my CPAP
therapy. As soon as I had everything all dialed in I found that on some nights I didn't have to get up even once. Most of the time now
4 nights a week I get up once, 3 not at all.

Well done GreyParrot, it's so good to read all of these positive, successful stories.
I just couldn't work it out because I would not drink for hours before retiring, yet sure enough every two hours I would be up and peeing.
It's great to finally get an answer.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep hanging in there Gabby. It gets better. I have learned a lot from this forum and the members are really good people who really want to help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] How should I pause CPAP (ResMed AS11) for a bathroom break? ThinMountainAir 7 12,451 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Nocturia (Frequent Bathroom Awakenings) + Shorter Sleep Nights Sleeper396 8 1,041 07-01-2021, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [Pressure] High pressure after bathroom visit Roamer321 15 2,075 02-18-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Roamer321
  Going to the bathroom lngtrm1 17 5,213 06-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Symptoms] Nightly bathroom trips - will they go away? Loboix 18 2,868 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Marillion
Question Bathroom trips really mess up the CPAP HughT 7 4,575 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Last Post: justMongo
  Disconnecting for Bathroom Runs kimgh 10 9,097 06-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Last Post: rhandel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.