Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gominak on vitamins, gut health, and sleep
Gominak on vitamins, gut health, and sleep
When I first joined ApneaBoard, I had watched some videos by neurologist Stasha Gominak about the possible links between vitamin D levels, certain B vitamins, and sleep disorders. I even experimented on myself, raising my blood levels of D3 to 80, and taking extra B vitamins to see if it would make any measurable difference. I started some threads on it.

It didn't make any measurable difference.

Here's a more recent video of Dr. Gominak on the same subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74F22bjBmqE

As you can see, it's a fairly long video. I'm posting this not because I think she has any "remedies" for OSA or CSA but just for the edification of anyone who might be interested in this sort of thing. Dr. Gominak clearly has a very active interest in trying to understand disordered sleep, and to discover treatments that might help her patients, some of whom also use xPAP therapy.

I am intrigued by her hypothesis that even OSA involves some sort of dysfunction of the sleep paralysis mechanism. She gives a lot of attention to PLMs, which apparently she is herself afflicted with. She mentions being on a medication for it but doesn't say what it is: perhaps gabapentin.

Anyway, for those who find this sort of thing interesting...happy viewing!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gominak on vitamins, gut health, and sleep
Yeah!  I have seen this sort of thing before and did watch one of the videos, however, where is all the evidence to back any research up?
There is a few started down this route a while back but I never hear of any of them these days.
I had dismissed it after reading a bit more somewhere, however, it might help with some sleep disorders, but Sleep Apnea I have my doubts somehow.
A handful of vitamins is not going to stop my throat from closing, if this was the case none of us would have CPAP machines.

Then again, playing the Devils advocate, are they not telling us this and making us buy expensive machines when all we need is some vitamin D.
I think not! Rolleyes
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 03:55 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Yeah!  I have seen this sort of thing before and did watch one of the videos, however, where is all the evidence to back any research up?
There is a few started down this route a while back but I never hear of any of them these days.
I had dismissed it after reading a bit more somewhere, however, it might help with some sleep disorders, but Sleep Apnea I have my doubts somehow.
A handful of vitamins is not going to stop my throat from closing, if this was the case none of us would have CPAP machines.

Then again, playing the Devils advocate, are they not telling us this and making us buy expensive machines when all we need is some vitamin D.
I think not! Rolleyes

Yes, where indeed is the evidence? Dr. Gominak seems to think that obstructive apnea is a neurological problem. The closing of the airway, in her view, is due to a dysfunction in neuromuscular control of the airway, not just a mechanical collapse. If she could gather solid evidence from a controlled study it would be a breakthrough, but I'm just not seeing it yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
It did not affect my OSA in any detectable way, but getting my vitamin D levels up vastly improved the quality of my sleep and the duration of periods of sleep.  If anyone is interested, The Vitamin D Solution by Michael Holick PhD, MD is a very readable account by one of the main researchers.  It is partly the life story of a medical researcher (and interesting for that alone) and partly an exploration of what we do and don't know about Vitamin D and how it affects our bodies.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 140 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 217 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 283 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 248 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 357 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,401 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 829 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.