Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Good AHI?
Good AHI?
Was wondering if lower than 5.0 for 46 out of 53 days was good progress?...Thanks!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good AHI?
I'd say that it isn't terrible, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's great either.

Given the machine that you have, you should really consider looking at the data with either Sleepyhead or Encore Basic and see what it looks like. You may see something that could help get your AHI even better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Ripandsnort!

You should be under 5. However sometimes an apneic event can happen while you are still awake and they don't mean anything. As Bama Rambler suggested, if you look at software you should be able to determine when those times occur and if you were actually asleep. Things like unconsciously holding your breath while still awake or even sneezing with the mask on can register as an event. I have had a small handful of times AHI over 5 in 4 months. A couple of those was when I had my first cold since being on CPAP. Another time was during a severe sneezing spell. As a newbie, when it was still difficult for me to get the mask on and adjusted just right, I didn't want to take it back off when I was overcome with a sneezing spell. It put my AHI over 5 Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Rip, it's kind of relative to where you began. You're under 5, and that's great. So now you need to check on your leak percentages to see if other improvements can/should be made. I had a zero last night, which I do not do all that often. Usually I'll bounce around between .2 and 2.0. But last night everything came together with the mask playing nice and very little leakage. The results showed it.

So the most important thing for you to do now, if you haven't already, is to download the Sleepyhead software and begin to use it to see exactly what's going on in the night when only your cat and your machine are awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, as others have said, Rip, it can be very personal. If you were assessed with an AHI of 50, I'd say terrific! If you were assessed at an AHI of 10, it's a good improvement, but not quite as earth-shattering.

There may be some room for improvement still and, of course, one of the important questions to ask is: how do you feel? If you're feeling better and getting good sleep, then it sounds like therapy is working for you and that's a good thing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an interesting machine, and should get the Clinician's Manual for it. In there, you will find that you can set an Auto-Trial mode, which turns the machine into an Auto-CPAP device. Now, use of that mode is limited to a total of 30 days (not resettable except at the factory), but that mode is what told me that my fixed pressure was inadequate for my treatment and what prompted me to buy the "real" Auto-CPAP machine I have now.

Think of it as a multiple night at-home sleep study titration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak data is very important. I ONLY have an OSA now when my
mask leaks and I don't wake up to fix quickly. I'm pretty good at
being able to catch a leak early now, so my AHI is rarely over 1.0
but when it is have either had a mask leak, or I have taken an opiate
painkiller too late in the day. That causes many CAs for me so unless
I really have to I medicate at noon. The med works just OK by the time I go to bed, but I'd rather have a sore back than a high AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 625 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.