Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

head gear for mouth and beard
head gear for mouth and beard
I have a beard. For now it is fairly short but I may grow it long. I have been very happy with the Dreamwear. The swivel at the top alone is huge. I find it comfortable and needs little adjustment when I roll over. However, I have allergies and somewhat frequent sinus issues. So I am looking for a mouth type device for such occasions. Any suggestions for a beard?

I have tried an airfit f10 and it leaked HORRIBLY. So still looking.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: head gear for mouth and beard
beard here, using Amara View. I love it, some don't. You have to learn to set it up correctly
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 12:32 AM)PoolQ Wrote: beard here, using Amara View. I love it, some don't. You have to learn to set it up correctly

Looks like that is a nasal cushion or nasal pillows with a mouth mask. What is the trick to getting it set up correctly?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, in the 8-years I have been using CPAP, I have never used a full-face mask, and I have never missed a night of using the machine due to congestion or illness. Not that I never get sick, but the nasal pillows are able to work in spite of any congestion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2016, 07:10 AM)parrst Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 12:32 AM)PoolQ Wrote: beard here, using Amara View. I love it, some don't. You have to learn to set it up correctly

Looks like that is a nasal cushion or nasal pillows with a mouth mask. What is the trick to getting it set up correctly?

Ditto
Full beard and I use Amara view. Six straps to adjust on set-up. Seals on beard when adjusted to correct tension. Nasal cushion seals around nose when it inflates. Some folk say it irritates their nose. Others say it blows air upward into there eyes.

Mask is low profile nothing on top of nose or forehead.
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 10:24 PM)parrst Wrote: I have a beard. For now it is fairly short but I may grow it long. I have been very happy with the Dreamwear. The swivel at the top alone is huge. I find it comfortable and needs little adjustment when I roll over. However, I have allergies and somewhat frequent sinus issues. So I am looking for a mouth type device for such occasions. Any suggestions for a beard?

I have tried an airfit f10 and it leaked HORRIBLY. So still looking.

Bob

I don't think any mask will fit as well with a beard? I have used the ResMed Mirage Quattro for about seven years without too much leakage around the beard, but you have to keep the chin straps tight under higher pressures. The F10 airfit is useless for bed use, but works ok while seated and at reduced pressure taking a nap in the afternoon. Grin Nasal masks or pillows are also useless for me at a normal 16 pressure number, but work ok sitting down at around a number 12 pressure setting... (I use an old respironics machine without a humidifier for naptime) I find that CPAP actually reduces sinus drainage personally. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a beard and use a Mirage Quattro. My machine records 0 unintentional leakage most nights (at least 80% of the time). My IPAP varies from 18 to 20.6.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I also started with the Mirage Quattro, but went to the F10. I had leaks with the beard until I switched from the med. cushion to the Large one. Seems more of the leaks were due to mouth movement under the med. cushion. With the large one, leaks stay under control.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 239 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,168 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.