Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Did HSAT (inconclusive); now have to do a full Polysom
Did HSAT (inconclusive); now have to do a full Polysom
Background: Dxed w/ OA 11 years ago following two in-lab polysomy studies.  Nine years ago, did a HSAT and doc said OA had gone away (he speculated being intubated for surgery for over 7 hours eliminated the problem).   Five months ago a friend noticed severe interruptions in my breathing while sleeping.  Have been using an old AutoPap for past month and feel better.  Did HSAT a week ago, results are inconclusive and have to do a full, in-lab Polysom.

Are HSATs not worth doing?  I'm suspicious that the first one I did 9 years ago gave me a false negative, which means I've been living with this for nine years untreated.

According to nurse, the recent HSAT had my AHI at 6.5 and lowest SO2 at 91% - apparently, not low enough to be eligible for insurance covered treatment.   How low does the O2 need to go for it to be concerning?   And how high a AHI does one need?   I wanted to do a full study, but gather insurance pushed for the less expensive at-home study.

Frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Did HSAT (inconclusive); now have to do a full Polysom
(07-31-2018, 04:48 PM)Mountain Head Wrote: Are HSATs not worth doing?  I'm suspicious that the first one I did 9 years ago gave me a false negative, which means I've been living with this for nine years untreated.

The RT supervising the Kaiser home test (WatchPat) class I took said they get can false positives but not false negatives from the home tests. That is, the home test might incorrectly diagnose you as having apnea when you don't (my ResMEd, for comparison, scores my pauses in breathing while awake as CAs because it doesn't know I'm awake - only restrictions in breathing while *asleep* are actual sleep apnea). The home test would not fail to diagnose sleep apnea if present, she said. I don't know if the RT was correct in her assertion.

The AASM considers home testing to be recommenced only for sleep apnea without confounding factors like chronic insomnia. And that more complex issues need a full polysomnogram. But the AASM is a bit like a union for sleep doctors, so they are, to an extent, trying to stake out their turf.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Stom, thanks for the information.   I did have apneas, however the machine scored me at 6.5 AHI and low O2 sat of 91%.  I have lost 6% of my body weight since this started, so wonder if that little weight loss could be improving my sleep.  The weird part is sleeping w/ a CPAP, despite it being less than ideal a sleep partner, is leaving me much more refreshed in the morning. 

thanks, again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2018, 04:48 PM)Mountain Head Wrote: Background: Dxed w/ OA 11 years ago following two in-lab polysomy studies.  Nine years ago, did a HSAT and doc said OA had gone away (he speculated being intubated for surgery for over 7 hours eliminated the problem).   Five months ago a friend noticed severe interruptions in my breathing while sleeping.  Have been using an old AutoPap for past month and feel better.  Did HSAT a week ago, results are inconclusive and have to do a full, in-lab Polysom.

Are HSATs not worth doing?  I'm suspicious that the first one I did 9 years ago gave me a false negative, which means I've been living with this for nine years untreated.

According to nurse, the recent HSAT had my AHI at 6.5 and lowest SO2 at 91% - apparently, not low enough to be eligible for insurance covered treatment.   How low does the O2 need to go for it to be concerning?   And how high a AHI does one need?   I wanted to do a full study, but gather insurance pushed for the less expensive at-home study.

Frustrated.

Will your insurance cover the full study?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2018, 10:46 AM)Mountain Head Wrote: ...  I have lost 6% of my body weight since this started, so wonder if that little weight loss could be improving my sleep.  The weird part is sleeping w/ a CPAP, despite it being less than ideal a sleep partner, is leaving me much more refreshed in the morning. 

thanks, again.

It's always possible, but highly unlikely.  The trouble is that other confounds can contribute to the salutary changes we see over time, and even the non-salutary ones.  For example, you lost weight, but did you do that by stopping all alcohol consumption?  Were you drinking a glass of red wine with dinner most often years ago?  Maybe your histaminic response is no longer a factor if that is the case, in which case your sleep could improve just that way alone.  Perhaps you're generally eating a healthier diet, and not the wrong kind of calories, resulting in the desired changes of lowered OA.   Maybe you have moved and are no longer in a home that was, unbeknownst to you, somewhat saddled with a mold problem.

...and so on...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2018, 10:46 AM)Mountain Head Wrote: ...  I have lost 6% of my body weight since this started, so wonder if that little weight loss could be improving my sleep.  The weird part is sleeping w/ a CPAP, despite it being less than ideal a sleep partner, is leaving me much more refreshed in the morning. 

thanks, again.

It's always possible, but highly unlikely.  The trouble is that other confounds can contribute to the salutary changes we see over time, and even the non-salutary ones.  For example, you lost weight, but did you do that by stopping all alcohol consumption?  Were you drinking a glass of red wine with dinner most often years ago?  Maybe your histaminic response is no longer a factor if that is the case, in which case your sleep could improve just that way alone.  Perhaps you're generally eating a healthier diet, and not the wrong kind of calories, resulting in the desired changes of lowered OA.   Maybe you have moved and are no longer in a home that was, unbeknownst to you, somewhat saddled with a mold problem.

...and son on...
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe so.  Have it scheduled. 

And, Mesentaria, I've always been a healthy eater.  Zero junk food, and minimal sugar or white carbs.  I have recently cut out ETOH, as I can't loose weight if drinking and keeping a calorie deficit going. 

Such is life.

Thanks, all!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 350 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 687 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,114 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 772 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 456 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 524 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 295 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.