Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Good board, this.
Thumbsup 
Good board, this.
Quick note to say that in the short time I've been here, this is coming across as a very good forum. I'm comparing with another couple of fairly well known forums (who shall remain nameless) in the apnea area, which I find aren't so useful.

Two things I look for in discussion forums are: recent activity (that's not just a flash in the pan); and that most threads have multiple replies. That second one is very important. Even if there are a lot of posting to a forum, it's not much of a support community if a lot of those posts go unanswered, or with just a single reply. This forum seems to score well on both of those.

Another thing is a non-judgmental approach. To be honest, I'm not here long enough to fully defend this in court yet, but the vibe so far is good. One example is the way that, on some forums, people get jumped on for moving outside what The Forum Gods consider Received Wisdom. Obviously there's space for demanding common sense. If someone claims that their new "drink a gallon of scotch and then tape your mask to your face while gluing your nostrils shut" method is a cure for apnea, then we all reserve the right to say "shush, child!" But on some boards the attitude seems to be that doctor always knows best, and that we should all be seen and not heard.

Finally, and this is probably an example of the openness I've just mentioned, is the provision of CPAP admin control data. The analogy about how we're sensible enough to handle our prescription drugs ourselves is good. Also, the fact that there is now some published science to show that, shock horror, with a modest amount of education we apnea sufferers *can* actually self-titrate in a way that improves wellbeing. So VERY WELL DONE on that.

Whoever is running the show (but also to the various keen members who all make up "the culture"), kudos and many nights of deep and restful sleep to you dude(s)/dudette(s)!

Thanks
I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Good board, this.
Thanks onsonby. It's really the membership here that helps to make Apnea Board a great place. And our Moderators, Monitors and Master Members who have a long history of helping to make this place better.

Although it's hard to involve everyone in the decision-making, we try to have some degree of an "open source" policy when it comes to making tweaks and improvements to the forum, set up so that we have community involvement, not just a top-down dictate.

You can read more about this "open source" philosophy here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...m-of-sorts

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
SuperSleeper, thanks for posting that link to the board's philosophy. Kudos in meeting the stated goal. I think the the board is doing a fine job. Thanks for all the unbiased help and putting up with tons of annoying "newbie" questions from me :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 06:09 PM)Paptillian Wrote: Thanks for all the unbiased help and putting up with tons of annoying "newbie" questions from me :-)

No such thing as an unwanted "newbie" question. Unless it's a really, really, really, really stupid question. BigwinkToo-funny

And (of course) none of your questions were stupid at all. Thumbs-up-2
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 06:24 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: And (of course) none of your questions were stupid at all. Thumbs-up-2
Of course! Naturally! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
I would spend more time here if the answer to every question seems to be "Get a ResMed S9." It seems like people with most other machines aren't considered "cool" by the regulars.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey - I've used ResMed for 7-8 years starting with the S8 Elite. Good meter. S9 is better. But I also run an Intellipap and in some ways it is superior to the ResMed S9. I would not hesitate to go with it on an equal footing with the S9.

OMyMyOHellYes
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 08:14 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: I would spend more time here if the answer to every question seems to be "Get a ResMed S9." It seems like people with most other machines aren't considered "cool" by the regulars.

Not at all... I believe you're "cool" just for challenging the status quo opinion here. Conformity to the majority without reason is seldom productive. Coffee

To help your point, perhaps you can tell us why you consider your F & P machine to be superior to the ResMed units?

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't necessarily consider the Icon superior. I do believe, however, that just about any brand out there will do the job if used properly. I do wish my Icon used a standard memory chip rather than a proprietary one. On the other hand, I like the fact that the humidifier is part of the compact package which makes it a little easier to travel with. My irritation is that if a newcomer says hello and says he or she is getting a non-ResMed machine the immediate reaction of some for members is "You have a choice! Demand that they give you a ResMed S9!." Reminds me a little of digital cameras. When the first DSLRs came out the Canon fans said their cameras were best and the Nikon fans claimed their brand was superior. But now it's reached the point where most fans admit the both brands will do just about anything you ask of them and say it's pretty much a matter of personal choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zork,

I'd have to disagree with you, except you're right. There is definitely a bias toward ResMed and autoset machines in particular on the forum.

So, poke us with a stick. Please stay involved in the forum and please disagree whenever you like. No one has ever been censured on this forum (that I know) unless they went way beyond common courtesy and decorum. We almost never cross the Goodwin/Snacky Law line.

I welcome a dissenting opinion. I hope to hear more from you soon!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 73 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 149 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,340 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 499 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 808 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.