Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Good board, this.
RE: Good board, this.
The bias towards autoset machines is very easy to understand. Typically, they are only slightly more expensive than fixed pressure CPAP machines, they can be configured to do everything a fixed pressure CPAP machine can do, plus they allow the extra possibility of automatic adjustment throughout the night. They are, objectively, the biggest bang for the buck. If I had done more reading of this forum before I got my CPAP machine, I would have paid the difference out of my pocket to get the AutoSet machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 12:48 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: I do wish my Icon used a standard memory chip rather than a proprietary one.
You've answered the question, both S9 and PRS1 uses SD card

I have not used other than S9 but I like the amount of data the S9 shows on the screen and the way unintentional leak displayed
Other machines including the Icon display total leak which for someone like me is too complicated to work out

Unlike S9 or PRS1 ... the Icon do not differentiate between obstructive and central apnea (clear airways events) or flag central apnea either

Plus ResScan (proprietary software) is freely available for the S9 user, while F&P InfoSmart is not and cost money around $80

ResMed put heaps of information about the S9 including ResScan guide to assist the S9 user

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2013, 01:39 PM)jdireton Wrote: Zork,

I'd have to disagree with you, except you're right. There is definitely a bias toward ResMed and autoset machines in particular on the forum.

Slight clarification: a bias towards autoset with detailed data capabilities.

Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I would spend more time here if the answer to every question seems to be "Get a ResMed S9."

I think this statement is a bit misleading. The advice to many newbies here generally is directed to those who have ignorantly accepted a "dumb brick" (non-data capable CPAP machine) from a DME who is primarily interested in maximizing their profit. The advice given here is seldom "get a ResMed S9" but rather more often, "return your brick and get a good, data-capable machine". Which brand is not as important as making sure that you can easily and cheaply read and analyze the machine's data.

The only reason I recommend S9 AutoSets over other brands is because I truly believe they are superior in quality, cost, functionality, convenience and complete data collection.

Also, as mentioned before, using an inexpensive, non-proprietary SD data card and the free ResScan software package for data analysis adds a heck of a lot to the plus side of things.

There's a reason why many OSA patients here go with ResMed S9 AutoSets or PR System One REMstar Autos. They're simply better overall than the competition.

That doesn't make us "biased" - rather, it makes us good, logical consumers who use our brains for product selection.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2013, 08:14 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: I would spend more time here if the answer to every question seems to be "Get a ResMed S9."

That's simply not true.

You need to "get a ResMed S9 AutoSet, and avoid the S9 Escape or Escape Auto."

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 03:37 PM)archangle Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 08:14 PM)Zorki1c Wrote: I would spend more time here if the answer to every question seems to be "Get a ResMed S9."

You need to "get a ResMed S9 AutoSet, and avoid the S9 Escape or Escape Auto."

I would jump in here and suggest the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto, but I know I would get flamed to a crisp by all the ResMed fanatics. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 04:23 PM)RonWessels Wrote: I would jump in here and suggest the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto, but I know I would get flamed to a crisp by all the ResMed fanatics. Dielaughing

Okay, that's it, Ron. You've been banned from the forum....

... okay, just kidding.... Bigwink

Actually the PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto is an excellent machine. It would be right up there next to the ResMed S9 AutoSet, IMHO.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 05:31 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Actually the PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto is an excellent machine. It would be right up there next to the ResMed S9 AutoSet, IMHO.

Yup, and just that little bit ahead ... :ducking:

Actually, to be serious for a moment, the PRS machines do have one significant flaw - it takes a trip to the repair depot (or the DME shop if you're lucky) to correct the clock, whereas the ResMed clocks are user-settable. Other than that, according to Respironics (who might just be a bit biased), the PRS systems are quieter than the S9's. Former complaints against the PRS machines about heated tubes have been addressed by the latest PRS 60 Series humidifier. There are claims that the ResMed EPR is "better" than the PRS CFlex, but I wonder how they are against the new CFlex+? According to my DME, the PRS machines are more reliable than the ResMed devices, but (a) that's the DME's opinion, so take it with large helpings of salt because it might just be a little bit biased, and (b) there are no similar systematic claims being made on the Internet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 05:46 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Yup, and just that little bit ahead ... :ducking:

I might have chosen the PR System One REMstar Auto back when I bought my S9 AutoSet, if only there was a solid free software program developed to offer good data analysis back then. Now that SleepyHead has been tweaked to being a good software package, I may have chosen the PR machine if I had to make that same choice today. It's cheaper than the AutoSet and that would be a bigger factor for me today than it was a few years ago.

:grin:
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2013, 04:23 PM)RonWessels Wrote: Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto

Too many words. If I can't easily Google it, it's not showing up on my radar! Tongue

Okay in all seriousness, is anyone else vein enough to admit they like the S9 series for its looks? I know I'm not alone in thinking the competition just screams "medical device."

(as if masks and hoses aren't a dead giveaway!)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 189 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 137 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 372 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 131 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 205 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 229 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.