Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat
A major study has determined that there is no link between coffee consumption and atrial fibrillation. http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-09-li...gular.html

So drink up and enjoy!

lots-o-coffee lots-o-coffee lots-o-coffee lots-o-coffee

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-23-2015 03:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

RE: Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat
Yeah! Good News. How can something this good be bad for you?

[attachment=1754]

OpalRose
09-23-2015 07:07 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

RE: Good news: No link between coffee consumption and common type of irregular heartbeat
In a world that gives us bad news on a daily basis, this is very good news.

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

lots-o-coffeelots-o-coffeelots-o-coffee

Shock-2 Shock-2 Shock-2

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

09-23-2015 09:23 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

I should probably read the article before asking...
Doesn't caffeine exacerbate a-fib in a person who is known to have a-fib?
The doc told my buddy with a-fib that coffee was verboten.

I have a rare skipped beat; and caffeine seems to make that more frequent. I my case the occasional skipped beat is benign; so, I still enjoy good coffee.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 10:54 AM by justMongo.)
09-23-2015 10:54 AM
foss Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Autosense 10
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View FFM
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 9 - 13.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Marine Chemist, Science Teacher & Counselor, Internet Server Admistrator

I have family members with a-fib. They are restricted from caffein. I really enjoy several cups of Gevalia coffee every day. I don't have a-fib as yet. I sure would hate to give up coffee.

Jeff

Sleep is worth the effort.
09-23-2015 07:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ghost1958 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS1 Series Sixty Auto Aflex
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: PRS1 with Heated Hose
CPAP Pressure: 10.5 min 16 max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Moderate to Severe SA Obstructive. Rapid O2 desat off the machine.

Haveing had afib i can say coffee or caffine will set it off. Also makes PVCs worse.
09-23-2015 11:58 PM
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

(09-23-2015 10:54 AM)justMongo Wrote:  I should probably read the article before asking...
Doesn't caffeine exacerbate a-fib in a person who is known to have a-fib?
The doc told my buddy with a-fib that coffee was verboten.

I have a rare skipped beat; and caffeine seems to make that more frequent. I my case the occasional skipped beat is benign; so, I still enjoy good coffee.

Yes, it does - you should avoid caffeine in any form (coffee, tea, chocolate, coke, whatever) if you suffer from a-fib, or pvc/ves or other forms of heartbeat irregularities. However, if you have a healthy heart, go ahead - drink away.

As a rule, it is better to keep away from caffeine no matter what - it is a drug, and an addiction. It does a lot of things to your body that yo might be happier to not have done to it, if you are "clean" you will understand.

I avoid touching the stuff before an op, it makes my hands shake, not such a big deal on big ortho work, when you get out the hammer and chisel (yeah, we are really stone masons and carpenters in this trade), but with an arthroscope, you really don't want even a slight tremor translated down the path of the device.

My advice is moderation if you are healthy in your heart, and stay off it otherwise. Stay off it if you can even if you are healthy (and yes, there are withdrawal symptoms - it is both physiologically and psychologically addictive and can be hell for some people to get off it) but if you are a user, understand the risks and understand that you are indeed a user, not just a harmless imbiber. And realise also that caffeine is hidden, like sugar, in a lot of things where you don't think it is - so be informed and be safe, or you still may be a user unawares.

Oh, and Hi, I am DocWils, and I am an addict. Here is my story.....
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 06:31 AM by DocWils.)
09-24-2015 06:30 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Don't worry doc. Politics in the US is so wacky that they'll criminalize coffee; and decriminalize pot.

09-24-2015 11:10 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

The problem is that we are given a scientific study today that says coffee or caffeine is bad for you, then tomorrow, one comes out that says it's good for you, each coming from seemingly reliable researchers and scientists... wash, rinse, repeat...

It seems that basing ones decisions solely on any particular "scientific study" is at best an ephemeral exercise.

Contrary to the claims of some, accepted "scientific facts" change from year to year. There is "science, falsely so-called" and then there is true science. The problem is that our culture relies heavily upon any and all "science" as a religion almost, and adherents to this religion often declare "scientifically proven facts" as a conclusive proof that should end arguments over what is true vs. what is false.

Much good has been done when "true science" is followed, but far too much of today's so-called "science" is muddied up by faulty procedures, false assumptions and even intentional deception - especially when scientific funding (money) is involved, which tends to corrupt even the most sincere scientist at times . Unless we are personally participating and watching over all aspects of each step in a scientific study, it would be wise to be sceptical of any "scientific proof".

As for me and my house, the coffee machine will not be unplugged for any length of time, simply because "a study was done". Bigwink Too-funny

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

09-24-2015 11:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

You're preaching to the choir on that one SS !!
Science is funded by agenda -- come up with the desired outcome -- or no more funding.

lots-o-coffee lots-o-coffee lots-o-coffee

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 11:21 AM by justMongo.)
09-24-2015 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Coffee Day (US) justMongo 8 221 09-30-2016 10:42 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Acrobat alternative PDFCreator, good/bad? justMongo 13 690 07-14-2016 06:00 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sacked for having a cup of coffee on the job zonk 44 2,454 06-19-2016 04:28 AM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  type 2 diabetics... cause for hope? DariaVader 7 488 03-15-2016 07:22 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear
  Coffee - latte GrammaBear 20 1,282 01-22-2016 05:00 PM
Last Post: S10wanderer
  Where is the best coffee in the world? zonk 62 3,874 10-05-2015 02:15 PM
Last Post: zonk
  The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. justMongo 32 1,491 10-01-2015 01:40 PM
Last Post: AlanE