Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got Sleep Study Results
Got Sleep Study Results
Well, as some of you may remember, I have been dealing with central apneas since around the first of the year.  I asked my doc for a new sleep study to see what was causing the centrals.  I had the study on 3/28 and finally got the results today.

Total Sleep 475 min
Sleep latency 14.5 min
REM  sleep 101.5

They started with fixed pressure CPAP and worked up and through BiPAP.

The results basically say my centrals are pressure induced and I need to keep my cpap pressure at 8 or lower as anything above that brings on the centrals.

Of course in the past, I would start having OSA at pressures below 10 or so.  They didn't see any apneas (of any kind) during the study at a pressure of 8.

They did state that BiPAP failed in controlling the centrals.

So, for now, I will set my machine at a fixed pressure of 8 and hope the OSA's don't come back and the centrals stay away.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions over the past month or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got Sleep Study Results
Refresh my memory, did you try a cervical collar to help prevent OA events?
Post Reply Post Reply
I did not.  

Once I settled into the settings listed in my profile I had an average AHI of less than 1 for about 8 months.  So, no need for the collar.

It was around the first of the year I started seeing clusters of central apnea events raising my average AHI to around 10, with nights approaching 20.  Even during this my obstructive events were still very low.

The sleep study was primarily to document the centrals  with the hope of figuring out a good solution to treat them.   The suggestion to use a fixed setting of 8 to control the centrals may help that, but I am concerned the Obstructive apneas will return.  We shall see.
Post Reply Post Reply
What you can do is start at 8 for a week or more then go up to 8.5. Then sit there for several weeks then go up to 9. Etc etc.

The trick is to find that sweet spot where your OSA is kinda controlled (aim for less than 5, no need to aim for even less just yet) yet not so high the CSA starts. Then keep it there for a long while (coupla months) then increase again.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Gee whiz, I missed it by 1-cm. On March 3 I predicted your results, but said they would recommend CPAP pressure at 7.0 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid194553

Ya think we could have saved some money and time? Probably not...your results have had a tendency to change a lot night-to-night. This new titration will work for a while, and eventually the inconsistent results may resurface. We noted a change in your therapy results seemed to coincide with medication you're taking, and have even recommended this same 8-cm pressure before, and eventually just resigned ourselves to trying variable auto pressure again. So We have been down this road before.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid242926
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid242963

I think you have done the right things in touching back with the doctor. The Bilevel titration is now documented as failed, and if in the long-term the new CPAP pressure also fails your next stop may be ASV. It's going to take some time for everyone else to catch on, but your results (like most with complex apnea) are consistently inconsistent. Be sure to retain copies of the studies.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider,

Yes, it does feel like this is more of the same in many ways.  However, the insurance game will at some point require the data I now have to move forward if ASV is in my future.  

At least its documented.

I have copies of both sleep studies, no worries there.  I learned a long time ago to ask for copies of everything!

I'll try their recommendation until I settle in to a new pattern of blissful, restful sleep, or it all comes crashing down and I have to do something else.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

I'm just glad to have this step complete and am taking this as one more positive step towards getting this under control and getting a restful night of sleep.

I'll give it a week or so and post some charts unless someone wants to see something sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interested to hear your weekly report next week. Hope this recent activity brings you closer to successful therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 45 10 hours ago
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 115 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,613 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 102 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.