Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got a new mask and I love it, this is the one for me!
Got a new mask and I love it, this is the one for me!
I've tried many masks since I was diagnosed in 2004, nasal pillows and various face masks. I just switched from a Mirage Quattro full face mask to a Mirage Liberty hybrid. Last night was the first night I used it and I have more energy today than I have in a long time. I actually slept almost 9 hours which is unheard of for me.

With my old CPAP machine on 10cm H2O I was only sleeping about 6 hrs per night and feeling tired all the time. I got an APAP machine about a month ago and have gradually been able to sleep longer, usually 7-7.5 hrs per night. I've been gradually adjusting the range on the pressure and was at 10-14 with the Mirage Quattro.

The last night I used the Quattro my AHI was 2.05 (CA 4, HI 8, OA 3) with an avg pressure 11.89 & 95% pressure 14.2. Last night with the Liberty my AHI was 1.32 (CA 9, HI 3, OA 0) with an avg pressure 10.6 & 95% pressure 11.89. I lowered the range down to 9-13 and will try that for the next week because I always have more CA when the pressure is set too high. Most, but not all, of the CA are bunched in the morning when I am waking up, stretching and yawning so I guess that is fooling the machine.

Best of all the new mask is so much more comfortable on my face and I can see. No more red indentation on my nose or cheeks when I wake up. No air leaks into my eyes drying them out. Yipee, I'm so happy!

I do have one question though. I have the climate line tubing and haven't been getting any condensation on the inside of my mask up until now. Last night I rolled over on my back and got water in my nose from the condensation in the nasal pillows.

Do I have the humidifier set too high? It's on 86, as high as it will go. There is a short piece of plastic tubing about a foot long on the Liberty mask that connects to my climate line tubing. Do you think this is causing the condensation? I can take that piece of plastic hose off and turn down the humidity if that will help.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mirage Liberty mask? I read a lot of negative reviews about the nasal pillows falling out of the nose and mask leaks. I didn't have either of those problems last night and it was very comfortable. Several reviewers also mentioned that the mask isn't well made and breaks easily, especially where the hose attaches to the mask. Has anyone had any of these problems? I'm using the medium nasal pillows and it seems to be a good fit. The seal was good and I didn't have to adjust them even once during the night. I am concerned about the mask breaking. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got a new mask and I love it, this is the one for me!
After you've used it a while, do a review of it in the Reviews section, please!

Was the room cooler than usual? I don't often have rainout anymore (I did a lot with the S7) but I will sometimes get condensation just in the mask, just enough I snort it when I roll onto my back.

I'd start with turning the humidifier down. That will eliminate one variable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the room was cooler than usual. The outdoor temperature dropped down into the 30's last night and we didn't have the heat on.

How much should I turn down the humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 12:06 PM)shutterbug sue Wrote: Yes, the room was cooler than usual. The outdoor temperature dropped down into the 30's last night and we didn't have the heat on.

Since my temp last night only went to 68, I envy you.

On your machine, when using the climateline, you should have two settings. One for the temperature and the other for the humidity. On mine, I use the heated humidifier set on 4.5, and my temperature set on 76. So far, no rainout issues. I think what you are describing as a humidifier setting is, in fact, the line temperature. You might check that, as the climateline should alleviate the rainout. Is your PAP lower than your bed surface?

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
If hers is set up like mine, I only see the one setting which is temperature. I have the climateline, too.

I keep mine set at 80.

(and it got to 31 here last night and will be colder tonight)
Post Reply Post Reply
Lucky you! I have a Mirage Liberty hybrid mask in the closet. I really wish it had worked for me because it was comfortable and as unobtrusive as you can get in a full face mask. Unfortunately, I could not get a consistent seal on the nasal pillows throughout the night which would wake me up. Tried both medium and large sizes. Both would start out OK, but eventually would come loose and start leaking...even tried Lansinoh. Just this week, I obtained a 1-week mask trial on a Respcare Innomed Hybrid mask as some reviewers had better luck with that brand than the Resmed but same results for me as I can't get the nasal pillows to stay sealed. I did see some of the same reviews about the Liberty complaining about the plastic headgear attachments breaking off the mask. I never did break one off myself, but I can see how it could be very possible as they're made of pretty thin plastic. Just have to be careful with that I guess. Happiness is finding a mask that works for you. Good luck and continued success! For me, the Quattro FX has worked the best.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 12:20 PM)JumpStart Wrote: On your machine, when using the climateline, you should have two settings. One for the temperature and the other for the humidity. On mine, I use the heated humidifier set on 4.5, and my temperature set on 76. So far, no rainout issues. I think what you are describing as a humidifier setting is, in fact, the line temperature. You might check that, as the climateline should alleviate the rainout. Is your PAP lower than your bed surface?

(04-11-2012, 12:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If hers is set up like mine, I only see the one setting which is temperature. I have the climateline, too.

I keep mine set at 80.

(and it got to 31 here last night and will be colder tonight)

In the settings, there is a way to either choose auto humidity setting or manual. With the auto which Paula02 is describing, you just set the temperature (default is 80 degrees) and the machine automatically sets the relative humidity (I believe at 80%). If you choose the manual setting, then you do in fact choose both the temperature and the humidity separately as JumpStart says. About 2 weeks ago now, I actually disconnected my humidifier and climateline hose and have only been using a standard slimline hose attached directly to the blower unit. We've got plenty of humidity down here in the Lone Star state, so no need for a humidifier outside of the winter months. Working great for me and has cut down on some of my maintenance requirements. Too-happy-2
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 12:43 PM)b360155 Wrote: Lucky you! I have a Mirage Liberty hybrid mask in the closet. I really wish it had worked for me because it was comfortable and as unobtrusive as you can get in a full face mask. Unfortunately, I could not get a consistent seal on the nasal pillows throughout the night which would wake me up. Tried both medium and large sizes. Both would start out OK, but eventually would come loose and start leaking...even tried Lansinoh. Just this week, I obtained a 1-week mask trial on a Respcare Innomed Hybrid mask as some reviewers had better luck with that brand than the Resmed but same results for me as I can't get the nasal pillows to stay sealed. I did see some of the same reviews about the Liberty complaining about the plastic headgear attachments breaking off the mask. I never did break one off myself, but I can see how it could be very possible as they're made of pretty thin plastic. Just have to be careful with that I guess. Happiness is finding a mask that works for you. Good luck and continued success! For me, the Quattro FX has worked the best.

I'm sorry the Mirage Liberty didn't work out for you. I guess it's the shape of your face that determines if you will get a good mask fit or not. I've tried just about every full face mask on the market. The vast majority didn't work for me at all. Up until now I've had the best luck with the Mirage Quattro but I had to cinch it up pretty tight so I didn't get any air leaks and it was very uncomfortable on the bridge of my nose and on my cheeks. I would have a red indentation on my nose and cheeks for 2 hours after I took it off in the morning. I didn't like the bulkiness or the forehead rest either.

I guess the lesson here is just keep trying until you find the one that works best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 12:20 PM)JumpStart Wrote:
(04-11-2012, 12:06 PM)shutterbug sue Wrote: Yes, the room was cooler than usual. The outdoor temperature dropped down into the 30's last night and we didn't have the heat on.

Since my temp last night only went to 68, I envy you.

On your machine, when using the climateline, you should have two settings. One for the temperature and the other for the humidity. On mine, I use the heated humidifier set on 4.5, and my temperature set on 76. So far, no rainout issues. I think what you are describing as a humidifier setting is, in fact, the line temperature. You might check that, as the climateline should alleviate the rainout. Is your PAP lower than your bed surface?

Thank-you for the info! I didn't know you could adjust them separately. The humidity was set on auto so I changed it to manual. I figured out how to change it to 4.5 and 76 like yours. I'll try that tonight to see if there is any difference. The PAP is on my nightstand at the same level as the bed. The tubing is draped up and over the bedpost. Does that make a difference?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 01:28 PM)shutterbug sue Wrote: Thank-you for the info! I didn't know you could adjust them separately. The humidity was set on auto so I changed it to manual. I figured out how to change it to 4.5 and 76 like yours. I'll try that tonight to see if there is any difference. The PAP is on my nightstand at the same level as the bed. The tubing is draped up and over the bedpost. Does that make a difference?

I don't think that should make a difference. I know that my machine is a few inches (3-4) below bed level, and the hose goes straight to the bed, starting with a small dip between table and bed early in the night, and tending to be straight as I move about and stretch the hose. Before I had the climateline, I did get rainout, so I see my current setup as an improvement. But B36 made an interesting comment, and since Houston has far more humidity that much of Texas, I may try his setup as well. Let us know if this works for you.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 529 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 381 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 4,949 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,192 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
Arrow Would love some feedback on OSCAR data esaulcatnas 3 509 08-31-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  I'd love a review of my data and/or advice, esp. re. waking up at night danielsomers 6 775 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Last Post: danielsomers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.