Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got a new mask and I love it, this is the one for me!
RE: Got a new mask and I love it, this is the one for me!
(04-13-2012, 09:30 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Rainout is condensation, like on the outside of a soda can.

The colder the can, the warmer the room, the more condensation.

A can at room temperature won't condensate.

So, the closer the bedroom temp is to the temp of the moist air coming from your humidifier, the less rainout. This is why heated hoses work. They keep the "room" of the hose warm so the condensation is less or not at all.

As for the pillow, we got me a down pillow. A good one, not one from Kmart. I can make it as fluffy or flat as I need it to be. I sleep predominantly on my left side. I used to sleep with my face right on the edge so the mask hung off, basically, but that wasn't always comfortable for me. With the down, I can push it down and make a little dip where the mask is. My head and neck are still aligned and the mask isn't being pushed. But then I use nasal pillows (Breeze) and there's not much to push against.

The reviews here of the CPAP pillows on the market have not been favorable.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-old-forum

The thermostat was set on 71 in the house last night and the apap humidifier was set on 80 degrees last night. I got big drops of water in the nasal pillows that dripped into my nose when I rolled over last night.

I used to use a down pillow and it worked pretty good with the mask except I kept having to fluff it up during the night. It would compress and become too thin. My husband took it over because he likes to sleep on his back so it's perfect for him. I think I will buy another one for me because that's the pillow I've had the best luck with. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a really good one, not a cheap one. I've used cheap ones in the past and hated them.

It does take me several minutes to get the pillow right when I first lay down. But that's not because it is moving the mask but to try to cut down on the air sound.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 09:32 AM)b360155 Wrote: I use a Sobakawa Cloud Pillow. It's got little microbeads inside that you can shape. If you're a back sleeper, it conforms around your head and neck. If you're a side sleeper, the edges are fairly firm so that the mask hangs freely without hitting the pillow. It's only $19.99 and I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. I've had neck stiffness in the past and used to use a Tempurpedic contoured pillow. The Sobakawa pillow has eliminated my neck stiffness and is much cheaper to boot!

I saw on the cpap pillow thread that someone else liked the Sobakawa Cloud Pillow that they bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. I actually went there a couple of weeks ago to look at that pillow. It looks too thin to me. I need something thicker that isn't going to smash my shoulder. I didn't buy it because I didn't think it would work for me.

I actually have the Tempurpedic contour pillow. I think I'll take the electric knife and cut out a little divot on the edge for my mask to see how that works before I buy a new pillow. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 10:13 AM)shutterbug sue Wrote:
(04-13-2012, 09:32 AM)b360155 Wrote: I use a Sobakawa Cloud Pillow. It's got little microbeads inside that you can shape. If you're a back sleeper, it conforms around your head and neck. If you're a side sleeper, the edges are fairly firm so that the mask hangs freely without hitting the pillow. It's only $19.99 and I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon. I've had neck stiffness in the past and used to use a Tempurpedic contoured pillow. The Sobakawa pillow has eliminated my neck stiffness and is much cheaper to boot!

I saw on the cpap pillow thread that someone else liked the Sobakawa Cloud Pillow that they bought at Bed Bath & Beyond. I actually went there a couple of weeks ago to look at that pillow. It looks too thin to me. I need something thicker that isn't going to smash my shoulder. I didn't buy it because I didn't think it would work for me.

I actually have the Tempurpedic contour pillow. I think I'll take the electric knife and cut out a little divot on the edge for my mask to see how that works before I buy a new pillow. I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner!

That reminds me of a funny post I saw on another CPAP forum. There was a person that was a stomach sleeper that had a Tempurpedic mattress. What did she do to allow herself to sleep comfortably on her stomach with a CPAP mask on??? Yep...she took a carving knife to the Tempurpedic mattress and cut a trench in it for the mask to hang into!!! Dielaughing Said it worked like a charm Cleaver
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
That took guts. I so want a new bed with a Tempurpedic. But there's no way I'd be able to take a knife to it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 10:54 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That took guts. I so want a new bed with a Tempurpedic. But there's no way I'd be able to take a knife to it.

I'm right there with you Paula, there's no way I could do that either to a nice mattress. I'd say it took more craziness than guts though! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 10:35 AM)b360155 Wrote: That reminds me of a funny post I saw on another CPAP forum. There was a person that was a stomach sleeper that had a Tempurpedic mattress. What did she do to allow herself to sleep comfortably on her stomach with a CPAP mask on??? Yep...she took a carving knife to the Tempurpedic mattress and cut a trench in it for the mask to hang into!!! Dielaughing Said it worked like a charm Cleaver

in this crazy anonymous internet world, ya gotta wonder how many people that say things like that, actually did it, or if they just typed what they were thinking of doing.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 11:53 AM)shutterbug sue Wrote: I've tried many masks since I was diagnosed in 2004, nasal pillows and various face masks. I just switched from a Mirage Quattro full face mask to a Mirage Liberty hybrid. Last night was the first night I used it and I have more energy today than I have in a long time. I actually slept almost 9 hours which is unheard of for me.

With my old CPAP machine on 10cm H2O I was only sleeping about 6 hrs per night and feeling tired all the time. I got an APAP machine about a month ago and have gradually been able to sleep longer, usually 7-7.5 hrs per night. I've been gradually adjusting the range on the pressure and was at 10-14 with the Mirage Quattro.

The last night I used the Quattro my AHI was 2.05 (CA 4, HI 8, OA 3) with an avg pressure 11.89 & 95% pressure 14.2. Last night with the Liberty my AHI was 1.32 (CA 9, HI 3, OA 0) with an avg pressure 10.6 & 95% pressure 11.89. I lowered the range down to 9-13 and will try that for the next week because I always have more CA when the pressure is set too high. Most, but not all, of the CA are bunched in the morning when I am waking up, stretching and yawning so I guess that is fooling the machine.

Best of all the new mask is so much more comfortable on my face and I can see. No more red indentation on my nose or cheeks when I wake up. No air leaks into my eyes drying them out. Yipee, I'm so happy!

I do have one question though. I have the climate line tubing and haven't been getting any condensation on the inside of my mask up until now. Last night I rolled over on my back and got water in my nose from the condensation in the nasal pillows.

Do I have the humidifier set too high? It's on 86, as high as it will go. There is a short piece of plastic tubing about a foot long on the Liberty mask that connects to my climate line tubing. Do you think this is causing the condensation? I can take that piece of plastic hose off and turn down the humidity if that will help.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mirage Liberty mask? I read a lot of negative reviews about the nasal pillows falling out of the nose and mask leaks. I didn't have either of those problems last night and it was very comfortable. Several reviewers also mentioned that the mask isn't well made and breaks easily, especially where the hose attaches to the mask. Has anyone had any of these problems? I'm using the medium nasal pillows and it seems to be a good fit. The seal was good and I didn't have to adjust them even once during the night. I am concerned about the mask breaking. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?
I have been using my ResMed S9 VPAP for 2.5 months, I have used 2 masks, first the Quattro FX and then the standard Quattro full face. The FX leaks at the nose very badly, the standard Quattro FF leaks near the chin to a lesser degree. The stand Quattro FF leaks are small if I tighten it, but it is very uncomfortable. I bought a gel cushion from [commercial link URL removed per Apnea Board rules], but it is clumsy (I have to scratch my nose or face often). Does anyone has similar experience? I am thinking about getting the Mirage Liberty hybrid and try out my luck. B36 mentioned that he obtained a 1-week mask trial, how does he obtain such a trial? Can somebody say something I don't know, I am new to using the CPAP. Thanks

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly all DME will allow you to try out a mask for a number of days before deciding. Each one has a different policy. Contact whoever you are working with and ask them about this.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2012, 05:10 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote: I have been using my ResMed S9 VPAP for 2.5 months, I have used 2 masks, first the Quattro FX and then the standard Quattro full face. The FX leaks at the nose very badly, the standard Quattro FF leaks near the chin to a lesser degree. The stand Quattro FF leaks are small if I tighten it, but it is very uncomfortable. I bought a gel cushion from [commercial link URL removed per Apnea Board Rules] but it is clumsy (I have to scratch my nose or face often). Does anyone has similar experience? I am thinking about getting the Mirage Liberty hybrid and try out my luck. B36 mentioned that he obtained a 1-week mask trial, how does he obtain such a trial? Can somebody say something I don't know, I am new to using the CPAP. Thanks

The one week trial I mentioned is through a company that has a link to their website listed on the Supplier List at the top of the page. Just click on Supplier List, go down to #25 on SuperSleeper's list and go to the link for the CPAP Library site. Once there, click on Mask Trials and register. They have a list of masks you can sign up to try for one week for $14 which covers postage and handling. When the mask you want is available, they send it to you and you get to try it at home for a week. It may take a couple of weeks before you get it. It just depends on how many of the masks they have in stock and how popular the mask is that you want to try.

I've used the service twice. (I'd already exhausted my free exchanges with my DME) Once to try the Quattro FX and once (currently) to try the Respcare Innomed Hybrid which is very similar to the Mirage Liberty (which I own). I ended up buying the Quattro FX based on the trial and that has been my mask of choice for several months now. Always looking for the ideal mask, but I should just quit searching as the Quattro FX works very well for me.

This just goes to show you that masks are very personal and what works for one person may not work at all for another. I also own a Mirage Quattro which is my backup mask. I get a good seal with it too, but it tends to cause a red sore spot on the bridge of my nose. I like the concept of the Mirage Liberty and Hybrid but I just can't seem to get a good seal on the nasal pillow portion of the mask.

Anyway, welcome to the Board and good luck on your search for a mask!
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 546 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Negative for OSA - Would love some advice duude 2 395 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Would love some feedback on OSCAR data kewlpewl 51 5,111 11-09-2023, 02:22 AM
Last Post: kewlpewl
  Love a follow up on my OSCAR readings plz! Captain Howdy 72 6,362 10-22-2023, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
Arrow Would love some feedback on OSCAR data esaulcatnas 3 539 08-31-2023, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  I'd love a review of my data and/or advice, esp. re. waking up at night danielsomers 6 790 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Last Post: danielsomers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.