Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got my Script! And a big shoutout to Apnea Board!
Smile 
Got my Script! And a big shoutout to Apnea Board!
I gotta say, you guys are awesome!

I-love-Apnea-Board

So here's what happened. Had to wait an hour to see the doc, normally this would cause me even more anxiety. But because of all of you, I knew what to expect, and also what I needed to do.

The doc sat down with me and briefly explained my first study results (1 min). But he didn't say anything I hadn't already learned here.

Then he shared my titration results. (1 min). Very excited to learn that with CPAP at a pressure of 7, I was sustained at 1.0 AHI and that resulted in 100% oxygen for the entire night! This makes me doggone happy, because it means my neurological condition isn't impeding my breathing as much as I had worriedly thought!

I then explained my neurological condition and the ongoing symptoms I deal with, and my family history of sleep apnea. (2 mins)

He told me that once I start getting good, restorative sleep, I will likely see overall improvement in my condition, esp. less pain and fatigue. This was encouraging. (1 min)

Then he whipped out his prescription pad and pen, and starts writing out a prescription. Wow, I needed to speak fast! "Is it possible for me to chose which kind of machine I get? Can I get an Auto?"

"An auto?" looking at me with a somewhat puzzled look on his face. "Uh, sure. Come with me" and we went to the back desk where 3 other female employees were working.

"I would also really like a particular brand" as I followed.

"What kind are you thinking of?" as he prepared his pad on the countertop to write.

"Well I need to dry camp a lot, and the ResMed is more difficult to hook up to a battery, so..."

"Oh, then you're going to need a Respironics?" one of the girls chimed in.

"Yes."

"Wow." another girl said. "You've really done your research."

"Yes, I really wanted to get the right machine."

"Okay. A Respironics..." the doc wrote.

"Wow. She even knows which kind of machine she wants!" the third girl said to the other. I took this as my chance.

"Well I really want a particular model, if that's possible." He looked at me incredulously. I pulled out a copy of the info Zonk gave me, and showed him "It's the DS560, um, TS. It has the heated hose". I smiled. He smiled back.

He actually wrote the model number right on the script! Then he asked one of the girls "Which mask did she wear that night?"

"Oh, I've picked out my mask too, if that's okay..."

"She knows more than any of our patients, ever. Usually they are so bewildered by all this..." one girl said to the others, shaking her head.

"Okay... what kind of mask?" the doc asked, now sounding a bit annoyed.

"The Pilairo" I replied.

As he started to write, one of the girls told him "You can just put 'Mask of patient's choice'" Now why she would even need to inform the doc of this was a little scary, ya know? Unsure But he scratched out 'Pilairo' and wrote her suggestion down.

As it was already late, the main girl promised to call me tomorrow to get things all set up with the hospital. I asked for a copy of my script, which they were happy to give me, and I was on my way. (Total time: 8 mins.)

Pah! I got exactly what I wanted, and left a happy camper! Way-to-happy

In hindsight, I wish I had remembered 2 things, to get an original script instead of a copy, and a copy of my titration results. But the girls in the office are so amiable, I am sure they will get me anything I ask for when I call.

Had it not been for APNEA BOARD and all your collective wisdom, I would have been a lost, bewildered patient, and likely the victim of a ResMed S9 Escape or worse! Can't thank you all enough!
Thanks And a BIG HUG to you all! Grouphug3

-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my Script! And a big shoutout to Apnea Board!
You go girl!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay! It's so much better dealing when you know what's going on.

Just an FYI. The copy will work fine for all the online stores. If you need it to go to another local DME they will fax it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ailu,
WOO HOO!
Great job and, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Nicely done! Congrats, and let us know how you progress with the new equipment once you get it home and operational! Thumbs-up-2

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great! Now comes the hard part...getting used to the mask, hose and machine altogether at night!

Hang in there though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good.

Did the script state the pressure parameters for Auto or did it prescribe straight CPAP at 7cm?
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget to call the supplier tomorrow and ask when you can pick up your new machine.
And then remind them on Monday and Tuesday etc. that you are ready to pick up your new machine..
Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys! The Dr. only put a straight perscription at 7. But he also wrote the machine & even the model number I wanted on the perscription as well. An PR Auto 560 TS That includes the humidifier and the heated hose. I am not settling for anything less! Smile
-Ailu
Reformed CPAP Outlaw
Post Reply Post Reply
When are you anticipating that the machine will arrive?

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,341 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 499 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,672 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 645 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Information [Mod Note] Do you want us to know when you die? [Apnea Board Postmortem Form] SuperSleeper 15 5,544 08-07-2023, 06:30 PM
Information [Admin Note] Apnea Board now operating under SSL encryption SuperSleeper 3 1,686 06-09-2023, 11:48 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.