Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got my home study results....finally
Got my home study results....finally
Took them 6 weeks to score it! Interestingly, they had me go in the lab for CPAP titration because the doc said he saw central events, but this (from a different doc, same clinic that actually signed it) shows no central events. Weird. Just talked to the doc about the results of the titration study (which I assume won't be fully scored for 6 weeks), and I had substantial difficulty sleeping - worse than I thought! He said that there were only 2 minutes of REM sleep! That makes him slightly less confident in the pressure that he prescribed, but he said that we'll see that in a high residual AHI when on the machine if it's wrong. Because he's thinking that there might be central events, he didn't do APAP, but he said he's going to prescribe an APAP machine, set with a pressure of 8-8 (in case we want to use the auto feature later). Anyhow, here's the full results from the home study:

Sleep: Total recording time was 449.5 minutes. Total sleep time was 341.5 minutes. Sleep efficiency was 76.0%. The latency to sleep onset was 32.0 minutes. The first REM period started after 23.0 minutes from sleep onset.

Sleep Stages Distribution: Stage N1: 51.5 min. (15.1%)
Stage N2: 171.5 min. (50.2%)
Stage N3: 26.5 min. (7.8%)
Stage REM: 92.0 min. (26.9%)
Total Arousal Index was 10.7/hour.
Spontaneous Arousals: 6.9/hour.
Respiratory Arousals: 3.9/hour
Periodic Limb Movement Index: 0.0/hour
Periodic Limb Movement Arousal Index: 0.0/hour

Respiratory Events: The patient had 17 obstructive apneas; 0 central apneas; 32 hypopneas (with 4 % desaturation criteria); and 93 hypopneas with 3% or less desaturation and arousals.

Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI 4%): 8.6/hour
Apnea Hypopnea Index (AHI 3A): 24.9/hour
Supine AHI 3A: 23.6; Non-supine AHI 3A: 25.9
REM AHI 3A: 33.3; NREM AHI 3A: 21.9
The lowest O2 saturation was: 88%
Cumulative O2 desaturation below 90% was (hh:mmConfuseds): 0:03:17.0
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my home study results....finally
Get a auto cpap and learn how to use it. I wish I had started when my numbers were as low as yours. It could have saved me lots of pain.

Use the folks on this forum to help you. Read when you can and you will learn a lot to help you have a better life.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Define save lots of pain.

I went and had this done because I'm tired a lot, caffeine and me have become best friends. I'm also entirely not a morning person, even after getting 9 hours of sleep! So it's really affecting my life, and not in a positive way. I hope that some of this goes away once I start treatment. Supposedly the doctor was going to prescribe today, and he said he is going to provide an APAP machine, with a constant pressure setting of 8 (this because of the central events that he suspects I'm having).

They sent me home with the mask that I used in the titration study - I tried figuring out how to put that thing on again just to get used to it, and it is beyond me! It had an insert that had little pictures, and they're more confusing. I guess the DME folks will show me how to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jds2001,
When you go to the DME, make sure you ask them to show you how to put on the mask that you wind up with.
Good luck, and feel free to ask as many questions here on this forum as you need, to understand better about your machine and mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Lots of pain:

Cause by low oxygen while sleeping.

20 years thinking I had a head cold the caused pain in the morning.

Slow healing of wounds. Lack of energy. Tired all the time. Lots of money spent on coffee. Sleeping on the couch. Mood problems lack of enjoying life.

How much it has led to other health problems or made them worse? who knows.

But after 4 to 6 months of cpap with added oxygen have made lots of improvement to all parts of my life.

I can only tell you that I wish I had started cpap sooner.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-09-2017, 10:03 PM)jds2001 Wrote: ...I tried figuring out how to put that thing on again just to get used to it, and it is beyond me!...

Here's a Google search to find instructions on how to put it on. Perhaps one of those may help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Amara+Vi...Amara+View

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Just want to put in there that masks were completely baffling to me when I first started. After a few months it was a big nothing. Don't beat yourself up - use the videos to help you get it right. You will be an old hat at it in a few months.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 44 8 hours ago
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 44 2,850 03-16-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: mugen4u
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 152 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 115 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 57 5,612 03-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 102 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.