Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Got my machine today - So Excited!
Smile 
Got my machine today - So Excited!
Picked up my new AirSense A10 AutoSet today. The DME fixed the nasal pillow issue I had during the titration test (different size). Gave me a few freebies (extra filters and nasal pillows and such). It was really my lucky day. Everything was approved by the insurance company at a rate much lower than the supplier list prices. They even allowed the purchase rather than a rental. The DME said that's a first in about 3 months for him.

I can't wait to go home and sleep tonight! (fingers crossed)

I had no issues getting the machine I wanted or getting all my questions answered. But then again I wouldn't have known what I wanted or what questions to ask if it hadn't been for this board. A huge thank you to everyone here that posts such great information!

Dave
aka partsmutt
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my machine today - So Excited!
Thanks for letting us know.
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a suggestion. There are several comfort settings that can take time to get set correctly for you, so I suggest that you set up the machine with water in the humidifier chamber and put it on, lay down and relax way before bed time and see how it feels. This way you can play with a comfort setting if you want before you are trying to sleep. It will also give you a chance to used to the mask before trying to sleep.

Sit up and read or watch tv or use the computer with the mask on and system running. Kind of like new shoes, wear them for a while before going on a long hike.

Give yourself the best chance for a great first nights sleep and congrats on your new machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi partsmutt,
Great news, CONGRATULATIONS! on your new machine.
Let us know how your first night gose.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my machine today - So Excited! - Update
First night with a machine at home was definitely different than the titration study. I sat with the machine connected while I read a book for about 30 minutes getting used to it. Not too bad. At one point I cleared my throat and my ears popped from the pressure. A little uncomfortable. I didn't think I could get to sleep. Ended up on my back, which is unusual. The side was uncomfortable with the mask. When I finally fell asleep I slept on my back and side, so in the long run it didn't matter. Checking the MyAir website this morning, my machine reported an AHI of 0.7!! My original sleep study was 83.3, so that's a big win!

Some small issues remain. In the middle of the night I got up and when I laid back down the air seemed incredibly hot. It wasn't of course, but it was warmer than the bedroom air and humid, so it was uncomfortable to breathe. I left it on and fell asleep anyway. How do I know how much humidity is too much?

The other small concern is tenderness around my nostrils this morning. Is that normal and goes away or do I need to adjust something?

Thanks all.
Dave
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Got my machine today - So Excited! - Update
(04-29-2016, 09:30 AM)partsmutt Wrote: Some small issues remain. In the middle of the night I got up and when I laid back down the air seemed incredibly hot. It wasn't of course, but it was warmer than the bedroom air and humid, so it was uncomfortable to breathe. I left it on and fell asleep anyway. How do I know how much humidity is too much?

You can set temperature and humidity either in the settings or the clinician menu. To get to the clinician menu, press and hold the big round button at the same time as the home button (bottom center under the display) for about 4 or 5 seconds.

Manuals for settings are available, but most that you will want to set ar obvious.

Quote:The other small concern is tenderness around my nostrils this morning. Is that normal and goes away or do I need to adjust something?

Thanks all.
Dave

You should get some Lanolin and use it sparingly on your nostrils until you are acclimated to the pillows. I also expect you may have them too tight, try loosening the straps a little, the pillows inflate to seal and don't need to be very tight at all.

Good luck and I am glad to see you first night go so well!
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Great news for you! As above for all your questions. You "may" have the mask too tight, play with it a little (not while trying to go to sleep) adjust straps 1/8" at a time (yes they are really that sensitive)

Humidity is what is called a comfort setting, put it where you are comfortable. Personally I have mine at 61 degrees and use a damp paper towel in the chamber for a "just right" for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2016, 12:49 PM)partsmutt Wrote: Picked up my new AirSense A10 AutoSet today. The DME fixed the nasal pillow issue I had during the titration test (different size). Gave me a few freebies (extra filters and nasal pillows and such). It was really my lucky day. Everything was approved by the insurance company at a rate much lower than the supplier list prices. They even allowed the purchase rather than a rental. The DME said that's a first in about 3 months for him.

I can't wait to go home and sleep tonight! (fingers crossed)

I had no issues getting the machine I wanted or getting all my questions answered. But then again I wouldn't have known what I wanted or what questions to ask if it hadn't been for this board. A huge thank you to everyone here that posts such great information!

Dave
aka partsmutt

Shoot why wait? Take a nap!! got to try it on for size!! Sleep-well
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome partsmutt. Congratulations on a very good first night.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 816 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today slam7241 13 1,174 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,789 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  My silly question for today. David Clark 9 963 03-30-2022, 11:30 AM
Last Post: RayBee
  I ordered. Excited & terrified. Emaz 15 1,398 03-05-2022, 10:51 PM
Last Post: KobeT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.