Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is AHI the best indicator of success?
Is AHI the best indicator of success?
I'm having real trouble with mask fit. On my third different mask. Amara View is the best so far for me. When my machine ramps up the pressure to control a central event my mask can't handle it. My unit was initially came set to 14 max and I have slowly lowered it to mid 12's and AHI is still under 1. When will I know if it isn't working for central events?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is AHI the best indicator of success?
I think you would be better with an ahi of 1 and a good nights sleep, than be woken/disturbed every hour with a leak. They say under 5 is fixed.
Is your DME loaning you masks to try? If so, try a f-20
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME is next to useless, they don't provide a mask fitting service! I'm buying masks from an internet supplier and trying them. Still looking for something so I can sleep uninterrupted all night!
Post Reply Post Reply
Does your unit have a Mask Fit option on the menu?  This feature usually will use the highest pressure set on your machine to allow for setting the proper strap tension.  You need to be in your sleep position when adjusting the mask.

If you haven't read this article, you might find this link very useful:  Mask Primer
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI is a good suggestion of the numbers and is part, only part of the solution. How you feel is at least as important.

A 2 phased approach with the first to get your numbers under control. The second to help you feel better
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm very new but, is your mask too big/sized properly?  You say three different ones, does that mean three different sizes or three different brands?  I can only speak from limited personal experience, but for me, I also use a full mask and have less blowouts with the medium mask than the large mask but the large mask just feels better.   So consider the size maybe.

I also made a conscious decision to go by numbers and as much by feel in judging success.  If the numbers show you're within the acceptable results range and you feel great, you're there.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 46 3,074 04-16-2024, 05:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,569 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 637 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 949 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,906 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Success! joepublic23 2 593 01-31-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: joepublic23
  Anyone have success with Straterra / Atomoxetine Resmed10user 1 789 01-01-2023, 02:03 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.