Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F & P SleepStyle AHI Accuracy
F & P SleepStyle AHI Accuracy
I just purchased a F &P SleepStyle as a backup machine because of the Philips Respironic recall. I had been using the DreamStation since I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea seven months ago. 

My average AHI with the DreamStation was around 4. In two nights of using the SleepStyle my AHI was reported as 0.8 and 1.2 On the first night I had SensAwake turned on and I had it turned off on the second night. My settings are 8 min., 12 max. 

I am concerned that the AHI report on the SleepStyle may not be accurate. I realize I can’t download the new machine to OSCAR to get detailed information with the SleepStyle, but I find it very comfortable to use and I do believe my sleep has been better the past two nights using it. 

Does anyone have an opinion as to the accuracy of the AHI readings I am getting with the F & P SleepStyle. 

Thank you,
Steptoe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F & P SleepStyle AHI Accuracy
We are testing SleepStyle support in OSCAR. If you would like to help test it, send a PM to Gideon and ask to join the beta test team.

If you would like me to look at your data, zip your InfoUSB card and upload the zip file to my Dropbox folder. Please include your forum name in the zip file name so we can get back to you if we have any questions.

Now, on to your question about SleepStyle accuracy. I use a VAuto but have used an AutoSet in the past. I have been recently been using the the SleepStyle and find the AHI is about what I would expect -- higher than the VAuto and with similar values as with the AutoSet.

To compare the two machines you used, you would need to post a typical OSCAR page from the DreamStation and one from the SleepStyle (which I can create for you) and ask for opinions on the difference. Maybe the answer is in DreamStation settings. (I am not personally familiar with the DreamStation machines, so someone else would need to address that.)

F&P documentation is slim on how SensAwake works and how it can be used. However, I investigated that last night and had some answers this morning.

Here's a screenshot showing how SleepStyle's SensAwake feature works. When the machine thinks you are awake, it changes the pressure to the SensAwake level (6 in this example). Pressure stays there until there is an event that causes a pressure increase, at which time pressure is increased to APAP Minimum (9.5). Normal pressure changes occur from there, until the next SensAwake event, when pressure is reset to the SensAwake level. It's like the machine restarts the pressure settings automatically when it senses you are awake.

This could be quite useful to someone who suffers from run-away pressure as the machine tries to increase the pressure to something that pressure cannot treat (like positional apnea) and brings you awake. With other machines, you have to reach over and turn the machine off and back on to restart at a tolerable pressure, while the SleepStyle detects the need and does it automatically. I have not used the SleepStyle for long, so it could be that I will no longer think this useful with more experience.

I had my SensAwake setting (6) quite a bit below APAP Minimum (9.5), so the effect on the pressure graph is quite dramatic. I think it would probably be more appropriate to set the SensAwake level to just below the APAP minimum, or even the same as the APAP minimum. I will set the SensAwake to 9.0 tonight and the Pressure graph should lack the big bumps.

Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [CPAP] F & P SleepStyle KittyKatIs 15 316 04-11-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  F&P SleepStyle or ResMed AirSense 10 Tampa Jim 5 462 03-04-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  F&P SleepStyle Opinions zzz1 0 205 02-01-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: zzz1
  Sleepstyle F&P is very loud bibbie 5 589 09-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 966 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus
  Accuracy of the o2ring compared to checkme Zackio 22 4,959 08-08-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: goku
  Accuracy of REsmed MyAir hegel 8 3,741 07-08-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.