Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gotta love my Sleep Doctor
Gotta love my Sleep Doctor
Went to my six-month follow-up visit with my sleep Doctor last week.  

Got my new Resmed A11 about two weeks ago (which same doctor ordered six months ago), and I brought him some fresh OSCAR data to review.  

He was interested in looking at the graphs, reviewed all the numbers, and discussed them with me; confirming that the advice I have received on this forum has resulted in effective pressure settings and successful therapy. 

Here's an excerpt of the note he sent to my primary care doc: 

Quote:He is being treated through XXXXXX DME with auto CPAP and has just acquired a new ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet device.

He has empirically derived his own pressures of 8.6 up to 16 cm of water over the last several years, and I will send a new prescription to his XXXXXXX  DME for these settings.  His download from the "OSCAR" software program that he uses shows 100% adherence to treatment, consistently more than 4 hours per night, with a residual apnea-hypopnea index of less than 4.  Most nights his apnea-hypopnea index residual is less than 1.

This doc is interested in the detail data and doesn't mind that it came from OSCAR. 

His nurse mentioned that my DME had "squealed on me" for changing my own settings.  They also failed to connect my Doc's office to my new machine. So I gave her the serial number from my OSCAR printout, which she appreciated.  

Discussed with the Doc how I had told the DME if they do it again I would fire them.  That I buy stuff from them and that's all I expect from them.  Therapy settings are between me and my doc.  He smiled and said he would send them a note to leave me alone.   mwa ha ha.  

Gotta love this doctor.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gotta love my Sleep Doctor
That's a great response from your sleep doc.

Most are not so lucky.

My sleep NP noticed I had adjusted my settings. Told me it was "incredibly dangerous". She refused to look at my OSCAR reports. Then she fired me.
On the hunt for a good one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a similar relationship with my doctor, except that she gets the compliance data from ResMed either remotely, using the card, or just viewing the display screen on my machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are very fortunate to have an actual 'sleep doctor'.  My PCP deferred to the DME for my care and the DME doesn't care on bit about my journey.  Had video call with the DME respiratory therapist a week ago to see if he finally got my sleep study from my PCP - he hadn't.  Being a video call I could plainly see by his body language that he was unhappy and would not talk to me because he didn't have the prescription from the PCP based on the sleep study from 9/1.  When I told him about OSCAR he said he never heard of it.  When I told that I was able to reduce/eliminate Large Leaks using OSCAR he didn't say a word.  His only comment was "Oh I see you changed the settings on the machine."!  Of course I did because you nor the PCP have done anything after my having the machine almost two months.

So, I'm done with the PCP and DME and will continue on my journey with apnea using OSCAR and the apneaboard site.

Thanks to all.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my case the sleep NP told me how impressed she was by what I’d learned and how she had no problem at all with me managing my settings. In addition she commented how she wished more of her patients educated themselves as there is a lot learn.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2022, 12:18 PM)YipeekiOH Wrote: In my case the sleep NP told me how impressed she was by what I’d learned and how she had no problem at all with me managing my settings. In addition she commented how she wished more of her patients educated themselves as there is a lot learn.

In my case, the NP told me that my new machine would be setup correctly by the DME and I was not to touch it!  Of course it wasn't setup correctly because the NP didn't send the sleep study to the DME.  In addition, I told the DME RT before I received the new machine that I had a sleep study and of course when he setup the new machine he just used the 7 year old fixed pressure setting without requesting the sleep study.  Neither the NP or the RT were the least bit impressed or interested in what I had learned and implemented.
Post Reply Post Reply
Withtao…that is positively dreadful! I’ve been so lucky with both the CPAP supplier (not a DME per se but a very small two store business specialize strictly in CPAP) and the NP at the sleep institute where I go. Sadly, I’ve read more stories similar to your own more time than I can count.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update - Saw my PCP (NP) for scheduled checkup.  Recounted my experience with DME and that I've changed the settings to reflect the sleep study and not relying on DME for any help.  She understands and supports that decision.  They too have issues with DMEs. So, my journey continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Woot!  

Happy for you withtao. 

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank goodness Withtao. Having a PCP/NP supporting you is huge. Congrats!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,713 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  UARS - New User - Would Love Some Advice kaelin 3 525 12-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.