Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gotta sleep on my side... pillow?
Gotta sleep on my side... pillow?
Since I was in my teens, I haven't slept on my back... it was always on my side (now I know why).
I have been able to sleep on my back since being on CPAP, but the air swallowing and the AHI going up are letting me know that I need to keep sleeping on my side.  I prefer the hose up at the top of my head so that I can turn over easily and nothing is dragging down in front.
Question:  anybody have a good tip on the best pillow for side sleeping?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gotta sleep on my side... pillow?
Well, the only top of the heads that I am aware of are the Phillips Dreamwear Nasal Gel Pillow and the ResMed AirFit P30i.

It appears you already have the Dreamwear system; hence, if you can get the Nasal Gel Pillow, you may as well give it a shot for a week or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I am going to try it.
No, I was talking about the pillow you rest your head on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many on here seem to prefer a Buck Wheat pillow. I have no idea what that is. I'm a die hard side sleeper. Some seem to like a pillow designed specifically for CPAP users. 

We had enough pillows on hand for me to try a few. I'm using one that works well for me, but I'm assuming it's just a regular pillow of some sorts. 

I'm using a ResMed AirFit F20 FFM. It's about as robust as a CPAP mask can get I would think. For the most part, it doesn't move around all that much on my face. The fact that it covers my whole nose seems to help keep it in place. 

The pillow I'm using allows me to side sleep quite well and doesn't seem to bother my face mask any.
Post Reply Post Reply
while it wouldn't be my first choice absent cpap, I've settled on a buckwheat pillow as it works best for me with a nasal pillow mask. firm but can be bunched into varying shapes, easy to hang face & mask over the edge, conforms to whatever is put on it so it doesn't pinch or distort headgear or mask. mine is smaller than a regular pillow so it's less likely to crook my neck. some kind of hose hanger helps a lot too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have either of these yet, but I've heard buckwheat is a good choice of fill or a special pillow for CPAP with cutouts for side sleepers.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The N30i cushion will fit the P30i frame also. I think it stays in place better than the P30i for side sleeping, but it is louder. Earplugs help.

When my fiancee is sleeping at her own house, I stack two thin pillows when sleeping on my side, and remove one when sleeping on my side. When she's there, I flip it up against the headboard. I've thought about stacking a smaller cushion at one end of my pillow, so I can roll onto it for side sleeping and off for my back.

I've used smaller buckwheat travel pillows in the past. As a bonus, they smell great (to me) when warmed up in the dryer. I need to get a full size one to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the My Pillow brand, but someday I’ll try a buckwheat pillow. I sleep mostly on my side.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...elpfulness
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a cut out in my foam mattress for the arm, best side sleeping I ever had ever since, don't need any special pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 400 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,855 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.