Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Granny7 - Newly Diagnosed- Looking for Help
RE: Newly Diagnosed- Looking for Help
You received an answer to this question here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid425517
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please Help me understand sleep study
I am attaching my sleep study report. Ignore night 1. The device kept alarming about every 20 minutes so I didn't sleep and quit early. They sent a replacement part and I did sleep for night 2. The diagnosis was mild sleep apnea but from what I looked up on line it appears the AHI of 15.3 for  the second night puts me in the moderate range. I don't understand the O2 desaturation at all and the charts are meaningless to me.

It appears I can only attach three pages so I will attach the chart to another post.

Here is the chart page.  Thanks

Attached Files
.pdf   1.pdf (Size: 310.59 KB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   2.pdf (Size: 108.63 KB / Downloads: 11)
.pdf   3.pdf (Size: 152.21 KB / Downloads: 12)
.pdf   chart.pdf (Size: 186.27 KB / Downloads: 12)
Post Reply Post Reply
Got my machine today. A Resmed Airsense10 Autoset with heated hose. Chose the F30i mask. Thanks for mentioning the F30 Dave. I asked the RT about it and she said most of her patients preferred the F30i. They had the FP vitera but it looked too big for my taste. I decided against the F20 because she said some people have trouble with leaks at the bridge of their nose blowing into their eyes. I have dry eye so didn't want that. I asked about the 4-20 pressure setting and was told I would need approval from my Dr. to get it changed. She mentioned something called EPR and that she would set it at 2. What is that? She set the heat/humidity to auto. Is that best? Sorry for all the questions but this is so new to me. She put the mask on me, made some adjustments, and  ran the machine at 10. I felt like I couldn't breath.  I posted my sleep study in a separate post. I would appreciate any explanation you can give.
Post Reply Post Reply
No you don’t need permission to change your settings. It is done all of the time and that is one of the main things this board does. We do it using data from OSCAR.

She mentioned EPR set at 2. What that is - exhale pressure relief. It subtracts from your min pressure so your exhale is easier to expel the air. So for instance your min pressure is 7 your EPR is 3 your exhale pressure would be 4. Min7 minus EPR3 = 4.

The lowest pressure the machine is 4 so if you set your machine 4-20 you could not get any lower than 4 so EPR would do nothing.

As far humidity - it B is just what it makes you feel. Many people don’t even use the humidifier and some seem to need it high.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the next step is to sleep with the machine and provide feedback in the morning. There is nothing wrong with 4-20 EPR 2 other than the machine does not deliver the full EPR until it reaches a pressure of 6.0. The Resmed Autoset is very good at detecting the need for more pressure and will rise quickly as needed. We will learn from your feedback about comfort issues, and if you post an Oscar chart, that will give us therapy details. Chances are, you won't need much done, but the best way to find out is just to relax and sleep with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2021, 04:44 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I think the next step is to sleep with the machine and provide feedback in the morning. There is nothing wrong with 4-20 EPR 2 other than the machine does not deliver the full EPR until it reaches a pressure of 6.0.  The Resmed Autoset is very good at detecting the need for more pressure and will rise quickly as needed.  We will learn from your feedback about comfort issues, and if you post an Oscar chart, that will give us therapy details.  Chances are, you won't need much done, but the best way to find out is just to relax and sleep with it.

Here are my first night results. Ignore the first part before the long break. I was awake watching TV and trying to get comfortable with the mask and pressure. Due to reasons I won’t go into here I didn’t get to bed until after 2am. I felt comfortable before falling asleep. I woke up with my cheeks puffing out, an extremely dry mouth, and the feeling that I had to get the mask off. I was pretty groggy and don't remember much more. Is this normal for someone just starting? The only thing I understand from the chart is the pressure which seems to have gone very high quickly. I don’t understand the rest of the data so I have no idea if there is a significant issue.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Granny7 - Newly Diagnosed- Looking for Help
I think you'll need to take action against the high Flow Limits, this will drive the pressure up like you experienced. Actions will include EPR 3 and/or a minimum pressure increase.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure increase is due to very high flow limits. To combat the flow limits you would need to raise your min to give room for the EPR to work. 

Your pressure is going up so high (again because flow limits) I would put an upper number so that your pressure does not go to high. 

I believe you would do better with the pressures -
Min 7
Max 13
EPR 3
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Granny7, let's make some changes to get you more comfortable. Your pressure went up pretty high on flow limitations. Let's take the minimum CPAP pressure to 8.0 and the maximum to 12.0 with EPR 3. This is going to cap your pressure at a more comfortable level and should help stabilize your therapy a bit. How many pillows are you using? It looks like you might be using multiple or thick pillows that are causing your chin to tuck and this is restricting your airway. The good news is that your leak rate is low and if we can relieve the flow limits and occasional apnea by getting your chin out of your chest, this is going to work great.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all,

I’ll try the higher min and lower max pressure. I think it may be a challenge. When the Lincare ran the mask fit which she said was 10 it seemed overwhelming. Fortunately my nerdy husband has spent some time on your site and found the instructions for how to change the pressures. He was also looking at my chart and saw there were more graphs. He looked through them and saw that my respiratory rate increased a lot while the pressure was high. He also noted that my tidal volume deceased at the same time, He didn’t know what that is but I do from a course on breathing I took in my graduate program for speech therapy. So it seems to me I was panting quickly with very shallow breaths does that seem right? It’s kind of scary. I will try to attach an image of those graphs. Fortunately my husband is pretty computer literate and figured it out with the help from the links some of you had in your posts. Have you seen this before? I have no respiratory problem I’m aware of and can walk a mile or two without shortness of breath.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 20 294 9 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,804 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.