Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Graph of my first 2 night with ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Graph of my first 2 night with ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
I was using the Phillips Dreamstation for nearly 2 weeks and i've just got my Airsense 10 Autoset 2 days ago.
I must say that it feels much smoother than the Dreamstation and i haven't woken up during the night yet. I'm using a N30i mask.

Here are my graph, can you guys let me know if something is wrong with it? I feel like my AHI last night was pretty high. 

1st night :     

2nd night :     

If you guys need any other info, let me know and i'll do my best to provide them.
Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Graph of my first 2 night with ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Welcome to the forum.

The clumping of obstructive events indicates that you are most likely tucking your chin,  See the soft cervical collar link in my signature as that resolves the issue in most people.
We need to clear this up to see other issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2020, 10:07 PM)bonjour Wrote: Welcome to the forum.

The clumping of obstructive events indicates that you are most likely tucking your chin,  See the soft cervical collar link in my signature as that resolves the issue in most people.
We need to clear this up to see other issues.

I honestly don't feel like i'm ready to use a Soft cervical collar yet, i'm 30 years old and it's already difficult for me to accept the fact that i need to sleep next to my girlfriend looking like Darth Vader. 

Here is a screenshot of Last night.

Does my settings look good? Shall i change anything?
If i can do anything to keep it under 5 while not using a collar, i would much prefer that option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone can help?
Post Reply Post Reply
bonjour just did.
Your graph looks like chin tucking and no (tolerable) amount of pressure is going to break those up.
Do yourself a favour and try out a $10 soft cervical collar, you've already got a mask so what difference will a collar make?  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I honestly don't feel like i'm ready to use a Soft cervical collar yet, i'm 30 years old and it's already difficult for me to accept the fact that i need to sleep next to my girlfriend looking like Darth Vader. 

The soft cervical collar has nothing to do with age. From your chart it appears you are tucking your chin down into your chest when you sleep.(Similar to the fetal position). This is like kinking a garden hose. You aren't going to be able to breath. The soft cervical collar is to keep you from tucking your chin into your chest.
Your girlfriend is going to like that you won't snore when your sleep apnea is properly treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rocktaze,
You are definitely tucking your chin to your chest while sleeping.  This can cut off your airway and cause those Obstructives you see on your graph.

I can understand not wanting to wear a collar, but it has been proven to work for many folk here.  

Did you have time to look this over?
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

If you don't like the medicinal look of a regular soft collar, then consider The Eliminator.  Search on Amazon.

It also has been proven that you can tuck your chin whether you are on your side or back, but it's best if you can stay off your back.  Also, do you use a lot of pillows?  This can also cause your head to tilt toward your chest. The right pillow should help align your head and neck.  Try one pillow, not real high or puffy.  

Other than that, a soft collar is your best bet.  Hey, if your girlfriend cares about your health, then she will support you.  And what's wrong with Darth Vader?  Cool
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rocktaze I didn’t want to wear mine either but the way I feel the next day has made it so I want to put it on. You don’t wear it like you would for a neck injury. You wear it so it’s wrapped around just enough to hold your chin up. It’s actually rather comfortable to wear now. It may take a few nights to get the fit just right but it’s worth it. After you start feeling better you won’t want to go without the mask or the collar. I dealt with anxiety from sleep apnea for over 20 years and now every day is pleasantly calm. Especially when I walk into work. Going to that sleep study and getting a PAP machine and wearing that collar has been the best thing that’s happened to me. At first I was annoyed because nothing was going right. With the help of this forum I’m now able to put the mask on, put the collar on, lay down and turn the machine on and the next thing I know it’s morning. Try the collar you won’t regret it.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Rocktaxe,

Try the collar.  A anti-snoring or sleep collar will also work.  I'd suggest trying to ramp your pressure up to 40-60 because that hasn't been tried except for 2 reasons
1. That (40-60 cmw could be dangerous)
2. Because of the above NO CPAP machine goes anywhere near those values so you couldn't try that even is you wanted to

Actually, for pressure to resolve this it would require enough pressure to straighten the kink in your neck out.  That would likely be enough pressure to literally blow your lungs out, causing pulmonary bleeding and the most serious of all side-effects, death!  Note: CPAP machine do not put out anything close to this amount of pressure and are quite safe.

We have tried raising pressure on many to relieve this and failed.

Tell your GF that she has your permission to remove all of this and start whatever she wishes at any time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's an experiment you can try just to convince yourself if this talk about neck tucking makes any sense to you or not...

1) Sit upright in your chair with your chin slightly raised as if looking through a window at the top of some trees
2) Take several breaths and try to notice how "open" your throat feels... this works best if you breathe through your mouth.
3) Now bend your head forward and intentionally try to touch the top of your chest with your chin
4) Take a few more breaths through your mouth and see if you feel a little "strangled" as if your throat is closing off.

I hope that experiment works for you.
It's that kind of "self strangulation" that can happen if your airways don't stay straight and open.

As already mentioned, two ways of choking yourself are..
a) Inadvertent chin tucking when you are asleep. I tend to do this when I get into the fetal position.
b) Having a stack of pillows that are too high and they lift your head relative to your body and they almost immediately put you into the chin-tuck before the night has even begun.

EDIT: Other things to try might be...
1) try not using any pillow at all (that's the smallest lowest pillow I can think of)
2) What else can you think of along these lines?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.