Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Great expectations
Great expectations
I started using my Respironics CPAP machine with humidity on March 2. This is my first experience with CPAP.

I guess I was expecting too much. I expected to feel a LOT better immediately. I do feel better and am sleeping better than before, but I still get up feeling somewhat like I have a hangover, but it's not as bad as before the machine.

I use the machine an average of 6 hours each night. The average AHI is 5.2 and the average time in large leak is 1 hour. CPAP pressure is set at 10. My pulmonologist prescribed increasing pressure to 10 and a refit of the mask.

I am a 64 year-old man.

Can anyone give me advice on the above?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Great expectations
Welcome

There may be several factors at play keeping you from feeling better right away. With an AHI of ~5, next question is what is the duration of the events? Are you still suffering from oxygen desaturations? Wearing a recording oximeter overnight could give you that information, but looking at durations might offer a clue. Not sure how much data is generated by the CPAP Pro model of the dreamstation, but data is needed to make any good conclusions. It takes time to get the most effective treatment, because you have to get used to the thing on your face - but the "hangover" feeling is worrisome and may be symptomatic of desats.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to know where you were starting from, what your AHI was at your sleep study (assuming you had one). If you AHI was moderate 15 or less, then it can take a while to feel a lot better. That was my case. After 7 weeks I am feeling more energized, but it is a slow improvement instead of a major leap forward.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sam. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Ditto to what Daria said. I also think that fixing the large leaks should help you a lot. In fact, I'd say that an hour's worth of large leaks could ruin your sleep. Your mask may not fit well. A comfortable, well-fitting mask is essential for CPAP therapy to be effective.

Some people do feel better overnight when they start using CPAP therapy. Others improve gradually over a period of several months. Some people say they don't feel any better at all.

Many of the users of this forum use software called SleepyHead to look at the data from our CPAP machines, get a better idea of what's going on with our therapy, and learn how we can improve it. There's a link at the top of the page to download the software if you want to do that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.

My AHI on the first sleep study was

9.2 REM, 4.6 NREM, 5.1 TST (SLEEP)

"Diagnosis was mild obstructive sleep apnea with associated arterial oxygen desaturaion (86%). Overall AHI is likely to an under representation of this patient's actual night to night problem with sleep disordered breathing due to poor sleep efficiency. Loud snoring was noted. Avg heart rate = 75. Disrupted sleep architecture due to increased arousals and increased wake after sleep onset. Limb movements most likely associated iwth respiratory events."

Second sleep study showed AHI at

1 for REM, .8 NREM, .7 TST (Sleep)

sleep efficiency 59% (I guess that's bad?)
sleep latency (38 min)
REM latency 75 min

no snoring!

diagnosis: obstructive sleep apnea

According to what I read on this forum SleepyHead software does not work with Dreamstation Pro. I used Encore Pro 2 instead.
Post Reply Post Reply
SamStamport,
The latest version of Sleepyhead works with your DreamStation Pro.
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dream Station CPAP Pro is fully data capable. As Daria and Rose suggest, it would be well worth your time to download and install the latest version of SleepyHead. You could use it to upload the data generated by your DramStation so the experts on the the board can help you analyze your data.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. I'm a pretty smart guy, but having lots of trouble installing SleepyHead. I tried the "Testing-0.9.8-1-T3-Windows-Installer & got error messages about OpenGL. I uninstalled it then tried 1.0.0-beta-2-Snapshot-Win32-OpenGL-20160422 and got the same error messages. I've done web searches and searches on this site and cannot find a solution.

I am running Win 10 64-bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK. Finally figured it out. I had to go to the SleepyHead folder and click SleepyHead-BrokenGL.

How do I share this data here in the forum?
Post Reply Post Reply
This may help:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

A lot of use an outside source like imgur to upload.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=19

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 409 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  2 Months In, Waking hourly, but Oscar looks great (I think), what gives? SleepyEv 0 533 05-25-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: SleepyEv
  Started off great but now struggling logcuttertx 1 421 05-22-2023, 07:45 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Switched to ASV - AHI is great, but still feel like I'm not sleeping well Sassbeek 35 3,078 03-20-2023, 01:55 PM
Last Post: Sassbeek
  Not sleeping as great as used to kemeky 12 978 12-11-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: kemeky
  Resmed A10 Autoset - Great Buy - Supplier 1 foss 0 515 11-29-2022, 05:11 PM
Last Post: foss

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.