Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Greetings
Greetings
Hello all, newbie here.
I have recently started self therapy, fortunately I found this rich forum shortly afterward. 
My charts seem to be all over the place so I will post a screen shot and see what your vast experience can tell me. 
Thanks for any input.
Archer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings
Welcome to the forum archer4890, you have come to the right place for help with the management of your sleep apnea. Self treatment isn't as uncommon as you may think, many of us on this forum were initially given a CPAP machine with a few instructions, received a pat on the head (or elsewhere) and told "good luck". You should soon have input from those more knowledgeable than me. You might want to update your profile by adding the make and model of your machine and entering the pressure information if you are using the machine. Did you self diagnose yourself as having sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks stanleydean actually my wife has diagnosed me for several years now  Too-funny

Getting my screenshots together.

Equipment and settings:
Dream Station Auto DSX 500 H11

Mode: Auto
Opti-Start on
EZ -Start off
Auto P Low 6.0
Auto P High 20.0
Humidity Adaptive
Humidifier 5
Tube temp 3
Smart Ramp off
Ramp time 30
Ramp Start 4
A Flex
Flex set 3
Auto on ON
Auto off OFF
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2019, 06:05 PM)archer4890 Wrote: Thanks stanleydean actually my wife has diagnosed me for several years now  Too-funny

Getting my screenshots together.

Equipment and settings:
Dream Station Auto DSX 500 H11

Mode: Auto
Opti-Start on
EZ -Start off
Auto P Low 6.0
Auto P High 20.0
Humidity Adaptive
Humidifier 5
Tube temp 3
Smart Ramp off
Ramp time 30
Ramp Start 4
A Flex
Flex set 3
Auto on ON
Auto off OFF
I think most clinics that diagnose and/or treat OSA provide a questionnaire that includes such questions as, "Does your sleeping partner/spouse complain that you snore?"  "Do you sleep apart, or in separate rooms, from your spouse/partner?", and so on.  If nothing else, it's a validation for those long-suffering people who carp and plead with us to do something, anything, to sleep better for their sakes if we won't do it for our own sake.

Welcome to the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK here are my screenshots, had to make multiple because of my small laptop computer screen size.       Thanks for the comments.                                          [attachment=10866][attachment=10867][attachment=10868][attachment=10869][attachment=10870]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Archer, welcome. You have primarily hypopnea and RERA, both are related to flow limitation and would be better treated with the Resmed Airsense 10 which would give you true bilevel pressure for inhale and exhale, and much better pressure response to flow limitations and hypopnea. Overall it's not too bad, but my suggestions are first to use a lower AFlex setting of 1 or 2. I have never been able to use the Philips Flex at a setting of 3, and I think you will find a lower setting immediately resolves some issues.

Your pressure is 6.0 to 20.0, and the Philips Dreamstation is not very responsive to flow limitations, so I recommend you increase minimum pressure to 8.0 and reduce maximum pressure to 14.0 for now. If you can tolerate the pressure, turn off ramp, or reduce the time from 30 minutes to a shorter period. The Philips Dreamstation Auto is slow to respond to these events, and it drops pressure too soon to continue treating them, which is why you will need higher minimum pressure. Take a look at the Flow Limitations wik http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Limitation i to understand better what I'm talking about, and then zoom into your flow rate line to see the flattened top...it will be there, even though your machine is not flagging FL.

This is the only graph we need in the future unless you want to show a closeup of the flow rate. Removing the Pie Chart in the menu File/Preferences/Appearance will let us see more of the respiratory data and settings.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=10866]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. 
Unfortunately I did not find this forum and its recommendations of the Resmed untill after the purchase of the Dreamstation.... but...... this is the unit I will leave at work (28 day rotation) and I have purchased a Resmed for use at home and will start its use in a couple of weeks. 

I will make your recommended changes this evening and post an updated screenshot before I return home.

Thanks again for the helpful advice
Archer
Post Reply Post Reply
Be aware that because of the different algorithms they could easily require different settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good information, will have to watch and post it's results also.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Different algorithms
Thanks Sleeprider. Very interesting. I have been using both the DreamStation and the Airsense 10 with the same settings @ 8 -11.8 cms H20. My AHI is consistently better on the Resmed at 1-2 vs 3-4 on the DreamStation. I have noted that the 90% pressure is around 10 cms on the Airsense and closer to 11.8 on the Resmed. This fits with your comments/explanation.
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.