Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Greetings From a Newbie
Greetings From a Newbie
Good morning!

I just returned from my overnight sleep study. I had a diagnosis of OSA and Periodic Limb Movement disorder via overnight sleep study from thirteen years ago but didn't do anything about it at the time.  I had oral appliances for the past three years but discontinued their use due to chronic jaw pain, bite misalignment, and appliance breakage (and they really didn't work that well). I decided to (finally) take care of my health and get another sleep study in order to utilize CPAP.

I had "many" events in the first two hours of the study, so the technician hooked me up to CPAP using the nostril pillow mask and chin strap. The nostril mask was very comfortable and I barely detected the air flow; the chin strap was a bit confining, but I feel certain I can adjust (plus, I hope to learn a lot of tips here  Smile ).  I slept for four hours after being hooked up to CPAP and only remember waking just a couple of times.  According to the technician, I didn't move after CPAP was applied (I felt stiff upon awakening like I've never felt before). I actually feel different after having four actual hours of reasonably good sleep. Wow. I'm fifty-seven years old and have had sleep problems since I was a kid.  Evidently, I have an unusually small airway; my mother and grandmother had apnea, also (and were very petite like I am).

I wanted to find a forum where I can receive support and guidance as I get familiar with using CPAP.  Thank you in advance.  Glad to be here.

--Leslie
--Leslie

"It will all be fine in the end. If it isn't fine, it isn't the end."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings From a Newbie
Hi rooy1960,

Welcome

It's early in the game yet, but before you settle on a machine, know that you have choices.  
Read this article on machine choices and which ones to avoid.  

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Again, welcome and ask questions anytime.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Leslie.  Another bit of advice if you haven't already done so.  Get a copy of your sleep study and prescription!  Years down the road, you may want a copy and it will have disappeared.  And it could be very useful to help you optimize your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose--

Thank you for the heads-up on machines!  Learning things already Smile.  Not sure how long it will take before I get a machine (report reading, Dr., insurance company), but I hope it isn't too terribly long.  I'm sure I'll have many questions as I go along. Thanks again for your response.

--Leslie

Thanks for that bit of advice.  I'll make sure I get a copy.

--Leslie
--Leslie

Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning & welcome! I was 57 years old when I had my first sleep study in 2008. I received a ResMed Escape II with a Swift Nasal Pillow mask and used it for only about 180 days before quitting! I just re-started my CPAP therapy 16 days ago with a newer ResMed AirSense 10 Auto, and will try to remain more compliant than in my past. I hope you also see the benefit of your treatment and be more consistent than I!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Leslie! You have found a great place for support and help navigating your sleep apnea and xpap! The depth of knowledge in the membership is its biggest asset! One thing to keep in mind before you get your machine: some people struggle to adapt and some adapt immediately. Everyone is different, but if you persevere you will see amazing results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2017, 07:45 AM)Fedman Wrote: Welcome Leslie.  Another bit of advice if you haven't already done so.  Get a copy of your sleep study and prescription!  Years down the road, you may want a copy and it will have disappeared.  And it could be very useful to help you optimize your treatment.

Welcome Leslie,

Be sure you don't let Fedman's recommendation fall into a crack and forgotten. The longer it's been the more difficult it may be to get those items. Congratulations on selecting a great forum where you will get the support you need.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rooy1960,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Leslie!

The chin strap was probably to keep your mouth closed so you did not mouth or lip leak (the pressurized air leaks out of your mouth affecting the CPAP therapy).  Some people find that wearing a soft cervical collar has the same effect while also aiding better airway alignment.  I personally find the collar more effective and comfortable than the chinstrap.  They should be less than $10 at any drugstore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2017, 02:51 PM)chill Wrote: Welcome Leslie!

The chin strap was probably to keep your mouth closed so you did not mouth or lip leak (the pressurized air leaks out of your mouth affecting the CPAP therapy).  Some people find that wearing a soft cervical collar has the same effect while also aiding better airway alignment.  I personally find the collar more effective and comfortable than the chinstrap.  They should be less than $10 at any drugstore.

Thanks, Chill.  I'll definitely get a c-collar and give it try. Makes sense that it would help airway alignment. Thank you for the advice.
--Leslie

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 440 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 237 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 333 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 362 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.