Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Greetings and a question [Montreal area doctor?]
Greetings and a question [Montreal area doctor?]
New to CPAP here.  First off, thanks to all of you who have contributed to the site and offer so much information and help.

I am writing from Quebec, Canada.   I was curious if there were any other members from the Montreal area, and if so, if anyone has recommendations for a sleep doc.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings and a question
There certainly are members from Québec, and I think several from the Montréal area.

I don't recall if they would particularly recommend their own doctors, though.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings and a question [Montreal area doctor?]
(10-19-2018, 01:27 PM)NiteNite Wrote: New to CPAP here.  First off, thanks to all of you who have contributed to the site and offer so much information and help.

I am writing from Quebec, Canada.   I was curious if there were any other members from the Montreal area, and if so, if anyone has recommendations for a sleep doc.

Cheers!

I'm from Ontario.   Hi.  You can check websites like ratemyMD or similar.  Your GP could make a recommendation for you.

InToronto, where I am, some of the bigger better hospitals have sleep labs.  I might try that next time.  I don't like my sleep doctor or his behaviour, but it doesn't matter much to me as I have straightforward sleep apnea.

BTW when you get to buying equipment, I believe online prices are about half of Quebec DME prices.  So check back here if you need equipment.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cpapian. Ideally, I'd like to find a doc who is open to looking at data.  But it won't be the end of the world if I can't find such a rare creature.  As you suggest, I'll go by ratemymd in the absence of a recommendation. My case seems fairly straightforward, though I want to get a full PSG in lab. I'll have to wait for that and go through the public health care system, as I maxed out my insurance with the at home PSG and the titration. 

I've gotten a data capable machine online.  Indeed, as you said, much more expensive from the local sleep lab.
Post Reply Post Reply
NiteNite:
                     Welcome

Hi! I am from the Montreal area (south shore). My opinion is if you want to pay & go to the private sector there are places like Biron Laboratories.$$$ or check with big hospitals with a sleep clinic (6 months/ 1- year wait). My GP sent me to a DME for a home test, then was asked for a titration. From the GP to the final prescription it took 6 months. Bought the equipment ($2000.) explained to me which buttons to push, asked when I would like to see them again(3/6/ or 12 months) & to call if I needed anything. Never heard from them since(9 months). They can't even change settings without your GP authorization!    You live here so you know how slow the system is!    Sad

I, like you, am a newbie here. What I did & would recommend is to download SleepyHead, gather a few nights of data, read how to organize & post your charts & ask whatever you want to know. Some people here are very knowledgeable, they'll advise and guide you as long as you need.

The 3 words for good results: positive, perseverance, patience. Unlike most SD or Respiratory Therapist who only want you to have <5AHI, advisers here wants to know how you feel physically which is the point of that permanent exercise. Personally, coming here is the best choice I've made! From 41 AHI 10 months ago, I'm down at around<1 AHI & feeling great. Can't beat that! Wish I could help you more.

Bag-head         snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2018, 10:31 AM)snorybob Wrote: NiteNite:
                     Welcome

Hi! I am from the Montreal area (south shore). My opinion is if you want to pay & go to the private sector there are places like Biron Laboratories.$$$ or check with big hospitals with a sleep clinic (6 months/ 1- year wait). My GP sent me to a DME for a home test, then was asked for a titration. From the GP to the final prescription it took 6 months. Bought the equipment ($2000.) explained to me which buttons to push, asked when I would like to see them again(3/6/ or 12 months) & to call if I needed anything. Never heard from them since(9 months). They can't even change settings without your GP authorization!    You live here so you know how slow the system is!    Sad

I, like you, am a newbie here. What I did & would recommend is to download SleepyHead, gather a few nights of data, read how to organize & post your charts & ask whatever you want to know. Some people here are very knowledgeable, they'll advise and guide you as long as you need.

The 3 words for good results: positive, perseverance, patience. Unlike most SD or Respiratory Therapist who only want you to have <5AHI, advisers here wants to know how you feel physically which is the point of that permanent exercise. Personally, coming here is the best choice I've made! From 41 AHI 10 months ago, I'm down at around<1 AHI & feeling great. Can't beat that! Wish I could help you more.

Bag-head         snorybob.
Thank you all for your responses :-)

It's ridiculous to lock people out of their machines.  I've been lurking around here for a while, and the fact that people were saying it could happen was a major reason I wanted to buy my own equipment online.

After my home PSG with Biron, the results were sent to my doctor's office...and sat there.  No one called me to say I needed a titration...We as patients are our own best advocates.  Experience has taught me this (and not only in the realm of sleep apnea), as it has for many others, I am sure.

And I completely agree, snorybob, how you feel should always be considered.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,727 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 526 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 789 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.