Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Greetings from New Member!
Wink 
Greetings from New Member!
Hi all! Dione from Indiana, USA. I have a family history significant for sleep apnea related to these small airways! Interesting to me! I thought we were just a bunch of snoring fools!
I just got my CPAP this week and have 3 nights with it so far. That first night was rough trying to get used to it! Unsure I even tried a sleeping pill doc prescribed- don't think I will do that again. I was even more tired than usual all day!
I have the Dream Station CPAP machine that does some automatic adjustments, fancy stuff! Then I asked for, am wearing, and I'm already pretty comfortable in the DreamWear nasal pillows. My husband says it looks like a cross between the breather they use in the Star Wars movie when they go underwater to Jaja Binks home... And a Snork- 80s cartoon character.
In my sleep study I had 97 episodes in the 6 hour time, a drop in oxygen several times, and zero REM sleep. This funny thing is that I had taken some Benadryl to make sure I fell asleep and I thought I had a pretty good night's rest! I would hate to see what my "normal" night of sleep was! The average of 16+ episodes per hour and they diagnosed me with moderate obstructive sleep apnea. My machine averages for me too and when wearing mask I am already down to 5-6 episodes in the first week! I'm saying that is good results!
Let me tell you some features I like so far-
Ramp option has been very helpful. It cuts the pressure all the way to minimum and gradually increases over 20 minutes. I understand that is programmed in by RT and can be adjusted. It just helps me because I get startled and pretty anxious when it turns on to full prescribed pressure!
Humidifier is good plus the tube even has some warming to it so there isn't condensation in the tube. I am a nurse and see plenty of the water in tubes- it doesn't hurt anything but I cannot tolerate seeing it there or the noise it makes bubbling around. Thinking-about
I like the nasal pillows- they do not go up my nose, they are soft, it doesn't fit tight and still has 100% fit. My uncle and brother have the whole mask and I felt like That would be more chlaustraphobic for me (just me!). I like the reassurance that I could breathe thru my mouth- my anxiety is not rational because the masks are removable so it is not like I would suffocate but there is a bit of insight to an anxious brain! Oh-jeez
I am looking forward to a day that I wake up feeling refreshed after a good night sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Greetings from New Member!
Dione,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
It sounds like you are adapting to therapy quite well.

Don't forget to download the free SleepyHead software. http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./
It's a hugh help in allowing you to follow your progress.

Also, you can get the Clinicians manual for your machine. This will help you in time to be able to adjust your own pressure if needed.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Just want to say I understand that whole claustrophobic issue. That's the main reason I started with a nasal pillow mask.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Sleep-well

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dione,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You have a good attitude and that will go a long way with your CPAP therapy.
I used to use nasal and pillows masks and the cursed chinstrap, (Ha-Ha,) but I now use a full-face mask, (FFM,) I was able to work through claustrophobia, so don't rule them out. Hopefully you will be able to stick with the nasal mask.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dione. Welcome to ApneaBoard.
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

FYI -- full-face masks have an anti-asphyxia valve.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, Dione. Welcome to Apnea Board. It sounds like you have a great set-up, with an auto-adjusting machine and the nasal pillows mask design.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome and glad your off to a good start. Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
You are off to a good start, Dione. My wife refers to me as Darth Vader when I'm all masked up! Dielaughing

You really need to install the free SleepyHead software on your computer so you can monitor your therapy. You could easily be leaking air out your mouth, for example, for enough time that it interferes with your sleep quality but not enough time that your machine issues a warning about it.

This will help you get closer to that good night's sleep you're looking for.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dione,

Welcome to the Apnea Board.
See, you are already getting advice. Do try to use the Sleepyhead software. It will help you be in charge of your therapy.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Dione,

Welcome to the board. Congratulations on a great start.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.