Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Grinding my jaw
RE: Grinding my jaw
during the jaw's normal resting posture the teeth should not be touching...
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started on CPAP in January. I've had a bite plane (due to grinding and clenching) for years. I was concerned about using both, but I've actually found the bite plane much more tolerable now. In fact, when I wake up in the morning and take off my mask, I no longer have the need to take the bite plane out right away, I can actually leave it in and be comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is always the option of trying out a relatively inexpensive, "you fit it using boiling water" type of sports mouth guard on a temporary basis. The cushioning will help prevent damage from grinding in the short term and if you end up stopping like Super, well, it didn't cost much Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using a CPAP machine about 1 year ago, One of the first adverse effects was that I started grinding/clenching my teeth often painfully. I resorted to pushing my tongue between my teeth. No I didn't bite it! It seemed to help. I have found the incidence of teeth grinding has reduced with time as I become much more comfortable using the machine. Incidence of teeth grinding are now fortunately rare but it does occassionaly still happen. I did consider a guard and discussed it with my dentist. The guard can cause the mouth to remain slightly open which I find is not a good idea when using the CPAP machine so I decided against that particular solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2014, 05:32 AM)JimZZZ Wrote:
(04-17-2014, 05:57 PM)lafsa Wrote: grinding can cause major dental and jaw problems!
btw... so can wearing jaw straps.
If I wear a night guard along with my chin strap, do you think I could avoid the jaw strap damage? I am about to spend way too much money on porcelain caps and don't want to damage them with my chin strap. How do you think the chin strap damages teeth? Probably just keeps them clamped together too tightly.

you probably should give your dentist a call and get his opinion..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap - Teeth Grinding dapal 3 772 10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Teeth Grinding and Sleep Apnea hookedonstitch 19 1,956 09-04-2021, 03:30 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Teeth grinding and jaw clenching emmylouwho 4 1,131 12-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: weiss27md
  Is my high v2 snore actually tooth grinding 10313horn 2 1,105 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Teeth grinding MrsBrando 9 5,852 12-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Dawnstar
  New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching Novello1234 22 3,902 06-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Novello1234
  Sore teeth, but not from grinding KMatch 13 2,710 05-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Last Post: player

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.