Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gritty Foul Smelling Residue In Humidifier
Gritty Foul Smelling Residue In Humidifier
    I have an MedRes AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP..

When I first got the device several months ago, I totally spaced putting water in the humidifier.. Ran it for a week or so with no water...

It got kind of a gritty film on the stainless steel base that is near impossible to get off... I was able to clean it on the raised part of it (green in the pic) but I can't get my fat fingers into the majority of it to apply sufficient pressure to clean.. (red in the pic)..

It's kind of smelly as well which is exacerbated by the fact I use a nostril mask....

Is there a way to clean it???   A replacement is only $25, but if I can clean this one it would be awesome..

Thanx in advance for any assistance..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gritty Foul Smelling Residue In Humidifier
Put some white vinegar and let it sit for a couple of hours. That'll take care of the grit and the smell. You can close the lid and pretty much roll it around to get the vinegar into all the nooks and crannies. Just do it over a sink. Rinse it out with water after you are done.

Oh yeah.......and quit forgetting to put water in it.  Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto. There, short n simple. Tell us if the white vinegar did the trick. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanx.. I'll give that a shot...

I'll let ya'all know....
Post Reply Post Reply
I use white vinegar in mine about once a week, maybe every 10 days or so. Not so much to clean it, but rather to keep it sanitized. 

My water reservoir will be two years old in early Sept. It still looks like new.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Spark'ly fresh... Big Grin

Thanx...     Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Cool!  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2020, 12:10 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I use white vinegar in mine about once a week, maybe every 10 days or so. Not so much to clean it, but rather to keep it sanitized. 

My water reservoir will be two years old in early Sept. It still looks like new.  Cool

That sounds like an awesome idea..  Many thanx.. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
showroom condition there
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a little curious. Where would this gritty film (with odor) come from?
Did you use tap water at some time and then do the week or so with no water? Distilled water is pretty much totally "inert" -- nothing grows in it and, being distilled, contains very little particulate. If it came from the tank itself, I find it surprising that the materials used for the tank are not designed/capable of withstanding any sort of heat generated by the heater.

So what do you guys think the gritty film was?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,159 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.