Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Guess which machine I will get...
RE: Guess which machine I will get...
Let's differentiate breath support and pressure support. Pressure support is the crux of bilevel, and it is the difference between IPAP and EPAP. With the Autoset, you could have had up to 3-cm of pressure support because the reduction in exhale pressure is from 1 to 3 cm and is identical to bilevel pressure support, although you have to think of the machine as a bilevel and set it accordingly. With the Vauto, you get the automatic adjusting pressure and unlimited pressure support. So you can set Minimum EPAP pressure and a maximum IPAP pressure and choose any pressure support from zero to 15 cm. Pressure support relieves flow limitation and can boost breath tidal volume. It unloads the effort of inspiration and lets you "sleep like a baby".

Breath support is the ability to set a timed backup rate if you fail to take a breath. It is really for individuals with central or complex apnea, or who fail to take breaths due to hypoventilation, neuromuscular deficiencies or COPD. These machines can target breath rate, average tidal volume, and in some cases induce inspiration when there is no spontaneous effort. I don't think this is what you need, however you (like myself) may find that the lower exhale pressure and higher inhale pressure is very comfortable. Unless you have a diagnosed respiratory disorder or therapy onset central apnea, you do not need ST, ASV or iVAPS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let's differentiate breath support and pressure support.  Pressure support is the crux of bilevel, and it is the difference between IPAP and EPAP.  With the Autoset, you could have had up to 3-cm of pressure support because the reduction in exhale pressure is from 1 to 3 cm and is identical to bilevel pressure support, although you have to think of the machine as a bilevel and set it accordingly.  With the Vauto, you get the automatic adjusting pressure and unlimited pressure support.  So you can set Minimum EPAP pressure and a maximum IPAP pressure and choose any pressure support from zero to 15 cm.   Pressure support relieves flow limitation and can boost breath tidal volume. It unloads the effort of inspiration and lets you "sleep like a baby".  

Breath support is the ability to set a timed backup rate if you fail to take a breath.  It is really for individuals with central or complex apnea, or who fail to take breaths due to hypoventilation, neuromuscular deficiencies or COPD.  These machines can target breath rate, average tidal volume, and in some cases induce inspiration when there is no spontaneous effort.   I don't think this is what you need, however you (like myself) may find that the lower exhale pressure and higher inhale pressure is very comfortable.  Unless you have a diagnosed respiratory disorder or therapy onset central apnea, you do not need ST, ASV or iVAPS.

I suspect I may have OHS...which may explain why they had breath support turned on for the titration. 

I think I have all the info I can get prior to my meeting with the doc - I just need to see what the second sleep study revealed and advocate for myself based on those results (if required).  Right now, I just want the best sleep possible even if it costs a few grand. 

Thanks for everyone's help on this...it gives me better insight into what I need to ask the doc.  I will post again next week once I have my appointment and hopefully gain clarity on why I was titrated with bilevel/Breath Support.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
ST is indeed listed for OHS, however unless you need the backup rate, the Vauto is more comfortable for several reasons. First, the Vauto will automatically adjust pressure for obstruction, so you can enjoy lower pressure when don't need higher pressure to control obstructive apnea. The Vauto has EasyBreathe™ pressure transitions which are a wave-like pressure transition. As you transition to IPAP, pressure rises quickly and tapers as inspiration reaches its peak, then drops quickly, but eases into the lowest pressure of EPAP. The ST produces a square wave form that transitions quickly to IPAP, levels off, then drops to EPAP and levels off. Both machines are capable of the same amounts of pressure support, but the Vauto is more comfortable, and adjusts to your needs. What the Vauto does not do is to provide a timed backup trigger to IPAP.

Your charts did not include the respiratory statistics. If you turn off the pie chart (File/Preferences/Appearance), we could see inspiration/expiration time and tidal volume. There may be some information there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2019, 10:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: ST is indeed listed for OHS, however unless you need the backup rate, the Vauto is more comfortable for several reasons.  First, the Vauto will automatically adjust pressure for obstruction, so you can enjoy lower pressure when don't need higher pressure to control obstructive apnea. The Vauto has EasyBreathe™ pressure transitions which are a wave-like pressure transition.  As you transition to IPAP, pressure rises quickly and tapers as inspiration reaches its peak, then drops quickly, but eases into the lowest pressure of EPAP.  The ST produces a square wave form that transitions quickly to IPAP, levels off, then drops to EPAP and levels off.  Both machines are capable of the same amounts of pressure support, but the Vauto is more comfortable, and adjusts to your needs.  What the Vauto does not do is to provide a timed backup trigger to IPAP.

Your charts did not include the respiratory statistics.  If you turn off the pie chart (File/Preferences/Appearance), we could see inspiration/expiration time and tidal volume.  There may be some information there.

Interesting!  I will have to see what I can dig up on this.

Here are two days of data - note, one is the same as the past posts on page 2.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish we could get you to try that machine with settings of 7.0 minimum 15.0 maximum and EPR full-time at 3.0. Your tidal volume at 420 is good, and your respiration rate, inspiration time and expiration time are all normal. I am still certain that your most comfortable and effective option is the Aircurve 10 Vauto. I see no benefit to a ST, ASV or iVAPS.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SleepRider
I too didn't see anything but I appreciate the second check.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any concern about the  max inspiration time of over 3s, and 4s for expiration?

If I have OHS, I notice that the vAuto is not indicated. Hmmm
Post Reply Post Reply
No offense intended, but we can only go by what is known especially via info within the charts. Earlier Sleeprider has mentioned that with the current data, VAuto would be the most likely to produce very good results and comfort. Pushing for a higher machine than indicated and without fully exploring the current machine's therapy capabilities just delays when you'll start feeling better consistently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back to the doctor this morning.  They have given me another 3-4 week trial with Bipap and a fixed setting of 17/13.  Apparently during my titration, this setting produced 0 AHI, while 16/12 produced a number of centrals.  I asked the doc why they had breath support turned on, and her reply was 'some of the bipaps do that.'  It almost sounded like she wasn't very familiar with Bipap in general.

The test unit I got was a Dreamstation, so I have no idea what it actually translates to.

Tomorrow night, I will pull up my first night in OSCAR to see what happened and post.

Right now, I am thinking I may just get 2 x Resmed's VAuto's.  In Ontario, I think one would be fully covered and I would buy the other at ~$1100.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember that Centrals can be consistently inconsistent.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 265,264 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,891 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,355 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Guess what happens when you sleep on your back! Haley 12 2,884 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,810 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  I guess I'm a hose head now... KCFLY 11 2,361 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  introduction I guess SleepyWrench 8 1,966 10-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.