Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Guess which machine I will get...
RE: Guess which machine I will get...
(08-24-2019, 09:45 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm so glad to hear you're finding your Duck doc and DME are so very supportive in your needs and concerns. Sorry I still can't get the sarcasm font to take effect.

Seriously, I do wish you success that something works better than what you've had so far.

Thanks Dave. I am at the point of just trying each machine until I find something that works. I am amazed at how many low cost machines there are out there if you look. There are also many units with <100 hours on them or at least <2000hrs for the more specialized machines where family members are selling.

(08-24-2019, 06:18 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Such a frustrating process. Patients should not know more than their doctors. Or, rephrased, doctors should be ashamed to not know more than their patients (when it's within their specialty).

Good for you for taking this into your own hands.

Although my experience pales in comparison to yours, I can relate. My sleep "doctor" didn't care that I was air-starved and experiencing rainout - that was all perfectly fine according to him, as long as my AHI was low enough for my insurance to pay him.

Looking through the forum - there are many in a similar situation. Low AHI, but still feel awful and the doc states they are treated. I presume that sleep science just doesn't have enough research to truly identify the various criteria. I notice that the Resmed flags different things than the Dreamstation...and what if someone only had a 9second blockage? 0 AHI...
Post Reply Post Reply
So a quick update for anyone who may read this in the future. Since giving up on my doctor, I have gone out and bought 3 new machines on Craigslist - VAuto ($700 Cdn - 1hr), ST ($500 - 3hrs) & ASV ($600 - 1826hrs). I am going to try each machine for at least a week to see the results from each.

I got the ASV on Friday and it is great! 0.0AHI!!! Looking at the charts in Oscar, when I stopped breathing, it did its job to perfection. It will take some getting used to and I do feel like I have to be good for it not to ramp up all of the time. This means you are constantly having to remember to breath consistently which is what you want, but is hard to always do.

I am also looking forward to trying the VAuto. I didn't get along with the equivalent Dreamstation, but I think the easybreath motor will really help it. I noted that the ASV and ST also have that same motor...

I also cannot believe how many good deals there are on Craigslist. We should have a thread with the latest deals on there. I saw a brand new VAuto go for $250.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the shopping spree. Post results on these as you have them. I can comment on the ASV by way of owning/using the ResMed 10 series, not so much info about the others on having used them.

BTW these are ResMed or other branded? Do you have an idea of potential settings you plan on using? If you need assistance with your ASV, I’ll do my best to help out. Best wishes for success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2019, 08:18 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Congrats on the shopping spree. Post results on these as you have them. I can comment on the ASV by way of owning/using the ResMed 10 series, not so much info about the others on having used them.

BTW these are ResMed or other branded? Do you have an idea of potential settings you plan on using? If you need assistance with your ASV, I’ll do my best to help out. Best wishes for success.

Coffee

Yes, they are all Resmed.  I have found the Resmed's to have a more comfortable waveform, and more importantly, they are quieter which equals a happy wife.

Last night, I started out in the ASV mode, EPAP 6, PS 3-15. 
After reading the thread about ASV vs ASV Auto, I am going to try that tonight.  EPAP 6-15, and PS 3-19. 

I will post OSCAR shots in a couple of days if I get above 0.0 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear that. Sleep-well

PS a zero AHI isn’t required, target feeling better with an AHI 5 or less.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2019, 06:40 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: PS a zero AHI isn’t required, target feeling better with an AHI 5 or less.

Well, after one night I feel way better than the APAP, and as a bonus, the ASV got me to 0.0 AHI which I have never seen.  It was weird how it ramped up, so I am going to experiment with the ST and VAuto to see how I feel.  I suspect there is a hint of Periodic Breathing which was flagged a lot by the Dreamstation BiPap that I trialed for a week; so it may mean ASV is the way to go.  I also have small breaths for my size...so that likely isn't helping.

We shall see.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most users need a week or a month to get the ASV to settle into something that "feels" natural. Once they adapt, they really like it, but some take to it sooner than others. You seem to be on the fast-track, but don't let it tempt you into dial winging to find the right settings. In general, the default settings in ASVauto need to be given time, and then we can fine-tune for issues of sleep disruption or aerophagia. It is not the easiest transition, but for most complex and central apnea patients, it is the best solution. We have seen everything from immediate 0.0 results and good comfort to relatively poor results with leaks and higher AHI. With patience, most members succeed with ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,268 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,863 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,342 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Guess what happens when you sleep on your back! Haley 12 2,871 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,787 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  I guess I'm a hose head now... KCFLY 11 2,350 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  introduction I guess SleepyWrench 8 1,954 10-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.