Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gulping air.........
Gulping air.........
I've seen the topic come up a few times, and I'm curious as to some of the symptoms some of you may have experienced. 

Do you experience any physical discomfort, and if so, could you please elaborate? Last night was a bad night for me. I had a pain on my left side, as if I was experiencing an organ of some kind going bad. 

I had to get up twice and force myself to belch in an attempt to rid myself of air / gas pressure. This issue rarely is a problem for me, although it has occurred in the past since starting CPAP back in Sept. of 2018. 

I NEVER experience this once up and around. Only once in a great while, while sleeping. My SA Therapy last night felt normal, and was business as usual, as far as I could tell. Because of the discomfort, I did cut it short and removed my mask at about 4:30.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gulping air.........
Hey Big Guy,
I used to experience (Aerophagia) swallowing of air when I first started Cpap.  Of course at the time, I had no idea what it was.  

A lot of people describe it as having gas or bloating... I felt it as a very heavy feeling or pressure in my abdomen and a feeling of having to burp but couldn't.  This caused me much pain to the point of having to get up after a couple hours sleep until it subsided.  You may also be experiencing GERD (often called acid reflux.)  GERD can cause pain (or a burning feeling) in the chest area.  

Since you've been on Cpap for awhile, I'm surprised you are experiencing this now.  My question is... has anything changed?  More specific, are you taking any different or new medications?  Any new health issues?  I'm always concerned if there is chest pain such as you describe... especially on the left side.  

This doesn't sound like anything to do with Cpap, but you could try a slightly lower pressure.  Maybe bring down the max pressure, or use the Cpap mode and set it at your 90% range with EPR at 2.
It would be better to post an OSCAR chart for review, but it does't look like a problem there.

Other than that, it may warrant a call to your doctor and let him rule out any heart issues, at least for peace of mind.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been dealing with acid reflux for years. I'm taking a med for that and it's been working well. 

I'm going to go w/o gearing up tonight. What I experience doesn't occur very often. Never a problem during the day at all. I do have an appt. with my sleep doctor on the 25th. I will ask him about it at that time.

I do appreciate your response. I will reduce the max. pressure and bit and see what happens. I do believe my EPR is @ 2 already. 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought maybe it sounded more like GERD. Let us know what your doc says...
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had aerophagia/air swallowing at times, especially within the first month of starting therapy on any new PAP machine. Partly I think because each new machine represents a different type of PAP. First it was straight CPAP 18 cmH2O on a RemStar with no such comfort item as Flex. Next after a year away from anything PAP was the DreamStation BiPAP Auto. Among other things like extreme CA, it gave some air swallowing. Ditto with the ResMed ASV, but it was light compared to the prior 2 machines. I think in part the reason of lessening air swallowing was twofold, I was getting used to PAP therapy and more time for the stomach to heal after the bariatric surgery with a hiatal hernia repair 9/16. I didn't do any pressure dropping to avoid aerophagia, apnea were worse to deal with than swallowing air IMO.

I also have GERD, sometimes very badly. I have learned that sometimes coffee/caffeine can trigger it. It can also be brought on by chocolate and mint candies like the striped peppermint candy and similar. On my worse attacks, I can have extreme acid taste in the mouth, burning right up the chest and esophagus, with also burning and tightness in the jaw joint and just left of center near the heart. It had earmarks of being a heart attack, but I was tested and it was definitely GERD. I have to change eating and drinking times so as not to have eaten or have had anything to drink about an hour before lying down or acid will creep up the esophagus and then it's time to have an antacid snack of 4-8 1000 mg generic Tums. Yes doc knows this and just kinda shrugs. I do have a GERD medication called Protonix that I take 2 tabs daily. The hiatal hernia has returned, and the bariatric surgeon is leaning towards a new repair surgery after I take another diagnostic test called EGD, a surgical like procedure where I'm on an operating table, made to take a nap, and then the doc runs a camera on a cable down my throat to take images of the esophagus, the LES, and stomach.

I have found that 2 actions help both aerophagia and GERD while lying down, lay on the left side and raise the head of the bed a bit, which is easy enough to do for me as I sleep on a semi-electric hospital bed with an alternating pressure medical air mattress. I just push the head up power button and it takes care of the tilt adjustment.

Hope some of this info helps.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The weird thing is, the pain I was experiencing wasn't in my chest area. It was lower and right square in the middle of my left side. 

It helped a bit by slowing my breathing and taking deeper, controlled breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a rather painful and concerning thing, maybe get doc to consult about it. It may likely not be anything of a big concern, but at least you'd know.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have esophagus issues from time to time. It gets blocked by food, and if I can't dislodge it on my own, I have to go to the ER. 

I've made numerous trips to the ER over the past many years. My "last" trip to the ER was in April I believe. I've seen many gastro docs about it, and they most all say acid refulx and recommend various meds. 

Usually after getting treatment, as in a non-emergency scenario, they go in and stretch my esophagus some and that does wonders for me. In an emergency situation, my esophagus is inflamed and irritated, and they won't stretch it. All they can do is clear the obstruction. 

During my last ER visit, after the procedure was done, a surgical tech was asking me some questions about my situation. He told me to try Esomeprazole Magnesium, 20 mg. I buy it @ Walmart. 

I bought some and gave it a try. I haven't have an episode since my last ER visit. For me, that's a new record! Not even one close to being one. 

Anyways, I'm really hoping that the above med is a game changer for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do hope it turns out that you don't have to continue to be bothered by the issue. Best wishes to you on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also make sure your mask is not loose. It happened to me only once when I washed my mask and forgot to tighten it properly
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.