Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gunk and grit in humidifier.
Gunk and grit in humidifier.
Hello,

My wife has been using spring water in her humidifier. She has noticed a few times some gunk on the bottom of the humidifier tub. This time she also noticed some grit stuck to the bottom that made it feel like sand paper.

Has anyone else encountered and or can explain this? Does she just need to clean it more often or use a different water?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gunk and grit in humidifier.
Is it just white stuff mostly? On the metal? If so, it is just mineral deposits. The black stuff is most likely something that got past your water strainer. That is, if you mean "spring water" as in "tap water".

She'll need to be cleaning the tank with a mild (very mild) vinegar and water solution. Soak it for a bit in the solution then scrub it with an old tooth brush. It's nothing bad. You know those white spots you get on glasses when you take them out of the dishwasher? That's what it is.

Don't scrub it with anything metal or you'll put a thin spot in the tank bottom. I just use an old toothbrush or nail brush. I also replace mine every 6mos or so.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Spring water, and most other drinking water contains a level of mineral content, especially spring water in heavy limestone areas. so-called HARD water usually contains higher levels, and interferes with washing, and builds deposits wherever it evaporates. She should use only distilled water in any evaporative device, shch as a humidifier. as it contains no mineral or bacterial content, therefore no residue when it evaporates.
In addition, the gunk and grit in the humidifier tank comes from the water that is put in it, if it is excessive, you might need to have your water supply checked for contamination.
Thanks Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
I only use distilled water in mine. Dump remaining water at end of night. Let humidifier dry all day. Add 4 oz. distilled water befor bedtime. Repeat.

My humidifier looks like brand new and I don't wash, rinse, or otherwise clean it. I have had it for 8-9 months with no plans to replace it.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
After cleaning the tank, or just dumping it out prior to refill, a light rinse and empty with a good pleasant tasting mouthwash ads a fresh scent to your air. And helps to eliminate any possible bacteria. After all they are advertised to kill bacterial in your mouth, so should do the same for your tank. Just don't drink the stuff!
Thanks Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the info I will let her know.

By spring water I mean bottled water from the supermarket. So it sounds like demineralised water from the supermarket better to use, is that correct? I am told its the correct thing to use to fill the car battery and the clothes iron.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just look for distilled water. You won't have any buildup using this.
Wash your chamber once a week with dawn dish soap and rinse well.
Let air dry, then refill before bed with distilled water.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use tap water without any problems, and have done so for 8 years. It really depends on your local supply. If it is clean and fresh to drink, it will work in the humidifier. Just empty, rinse and refill, and deposits are not a problem. Many here use distilled water which costs less than $1/gallon at the grocery. I would not use spring water as it usually has minerals added for taste, or comes from groundwater sources, which can be high in calcium or magnesium hardness.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If she's getting build up from bottled spring water, then she may not be emptying it each day. Empty the tank and allow it to air dry. Once a week or so, rinse it out with a good soap/water and let air dry.

As for what to use, I use real spring water from my tap. Been doing it for a long time. If your water is well or spring, as long as it doesn't leave brown stains or have that hard water smell, it should be just fine to use in a CPAP. If you have "city" water, then it is also fine to use. Using bottled distilled water is easiest because it makes it easier to maintain due to no buildup.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a couple of things. Calcium deposits in the tank do not hurt anything. They just look like, well, calcium deposits.

As for the cost of distilled water, at $1.00 per gallon and 128 ounces, I use 3 oz. per day. I could recover 1 1/2 oz. the next day if I was concerned about cost (I'm not). So for less than a 1.00 per month (.03 per day), I use distilled water. I buy bottled water to drink, so it is not an issue.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 786 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 514 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.