Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Gunk and grit in humidifier.
RE: Gunk and grit in humidifier.
I bought a used machine that had mineral deposits in the water tank. I had to soak it in vinegar over night, then repeat the next night, to remove it all.

I think it's a problem that occurs when the tank is not emptied daily.

I empty the tank daily and let air dry just to avoid bacteria growth. I have a water softener so I just use my tap water. When I travel I usually use bottled drinking water, but I have used the local tap water when there's no bottled water handy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Gunk and grit in humidifier.
If the water is highly mineralised, deposits will build up quickly, even when dumping and rinsing every day.

I thought the water in Switzerland would be safe to use in my humidifier. After 8 nights I had quite a deposit built up on the metal plate at the bottom of the chamber. I assume that it was glacial melt water with high dissolved calcium causing the problem.

The vinegar treatment has worked in removing the deposit, although it has taken 3 soaks to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 104 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 363 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 904 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 509 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 426 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,237 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.