Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HAS ANYONE BUILT A GOOD HOSE COOLER?
RE: HAS ANYONE BUILT A GOOD HOSE COOLER?
I covered all the relevant points in my response based upon the OP's indication a little fridge sounded doable. Latent and sensible heat. The Rh increases as the temp is reduced. The air discharged would be possibly be at or near the dew point inside the box but would would rise as soon as it exits the box so rain out ought not be a problem. I fully admit much of what some of you speak is over my head but not this. I made my living for 4 decades moving heat. Anyone interested in the details can go to a psychrometric chart and decide for themselves. I love these thread but we do get a little picayune at times LOL. There is for example some minuscule heat of compression and friction involved but may as well argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Wink
His particular machine I think lends itself to a very elegant solution using Alan's suggestion of TE modules and a few other bits. Would look cool with a heat sink hanging off the end. Est under $200.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I hate the warm air too. My DME could not believe that I refused the heated tube. They said "But what about winter?" as they lost that markup profit. I looked at them and reminded them that it was February, in Ottawa, and we had gone through a cold spell the week before of -30C. No heated tube.

Even with the P10, I still get perspiration under my nose. I often find myself pulling the mask away and letting it blow on my face to cool off.

I like the idea of ice in the humidifier. Or some other cold air accessory option. A mini-air conditioner for CPAP machines would be more cost effective than cooling the whole room or house down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm confused about the solutions described. Are you guys trying to cool the air in the hose, or the air before it hits the hose?

I'm looking at my air intake. A small rectangle on the left side of the machine. If I were to use a flexible duct to direct cooler air into that, then there is no worries about rainout, etc.

Would the simple ice-in-a-cooler approach work with the front end of the duct (air intake) sucking in air that has passed over or through ice? Arrange the ice over an upside down sieve. Intake sucks from under the sieve.

Bonus is that you have a handy drink supply for the middle of the night!

Warning: some dollar store items will be harmed during this program!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2015, 06:53 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-21-2015, 11:41 PM)Adoniscmj Wrote: Well room temp is to warm and the heat produced from the blower raises the temp so it is to hot for me,

The blower motor is well out of the air stream, so I don't see how it could be raising the temperature. Compressing or rarefying the air changes the temperature, but there is little of that going on in a CPAP machine,

Ok, so here is the deal. I have turned on my cpap but didn't turn on the humidifier or the heated tube. With just the machine running I can notice that the longer it runs the warmer the air gets. the cpap is electronic so it would make sense to say that as it runs it will get warmer and that heat ends up entering the air stream.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heat in electronics comes from two sources: friction and resistance. Neither should be a major factor in your CPAP.

You can put the humidifier chamber, partly filled with water in the freezer. Do not overfill or it may crack as ice expands. Put the humidifier chamber in the machine, and it should keep the air fairly cool for several hours without humidifier heat or hose heat.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 08:52 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can put the humidifier chamber, partly filled with water in the freezer. Do not overfill or it may crack as ice expands.

Have you done that?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, no engine can run at 100% efficiency so there *must* be some heat coming from the blower since wasted energy is always ends up as heat. I doubt, though, that the heat from a small electric motor and fan would be enough to notice at the other end of the hose, though it would likely be measurable. We can easily measure things that our body/minds can't perceive.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 09:22 AM)AlanE Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 08:52 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can put the humidifier chamber, partly filled with water in the freezer. Do not overfill or it may crack as ice expands.

Have you done that?

Yes...inverted to prove it's solid.

[Image: FA214836-EE99-4637-A2E2-AA221F00B6C5.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 01:56 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: We can easily measure things that our body/minds can't perceive.

We can easily perceive things that can't be measured.

Both statements are true, but the latter one seems relevant here. The claim that the air feels warmer is a perception.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2015, 02:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(06-25-2015, 09:22 AM)AlanE Wrote:

Have you done that?

Yes...inverted to prove it's solid.

Does it work well and how long does it last?
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.