Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HAS ANYONE BUILT A GOOD HOSE COOLER?
RE: HAS ANYONE BUILT A GOOD HOSE COOLER?
I still think your best bet is installing a small room air conditioner and ducting the output air to the cpap intake. Run the fan on low speed to get the coldest output air. But I only worked in the commercial refrigeration design, construction and servicing field for 35 years before retiring, so what do I know about heat exchange technology and application, except possibly what's in an ASHRAE manual. If you folks manage to pull off a breakthrough that makes the info in that manual obsolete, you can expect great things will be coming to you, like fame and fortune. I've always found that when you start jacking around with air and trying to change its properties, you fall prey to psychrometric chart values that can lead some folks to be aghast at how much latent heat must be removed from some air samples before the specific heat/temperature can be lowered.

https://www.ruppams.com/CATALOGCONTENT/E...METRIC.asp
Post Reply Post Reply
Psychrometric chart. Latent heat. Sensible heat. Dew point..... Hmmmm now where did I see that? Wink

Did you do much ammonia? I generally tried not to let the hall know that was one of my skills unless things were Really Slow.

LOL!
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 10:34 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Psychrometric chart. Latent heat. Sensible heat. Dew point..... Hmmmm now where did I see that? Wink

Did you do much ammonia? I generally tried not to let the hall know that was one of my skills unless things were Really Slow.

LOL!

Only used ammonia on the blue print machine. Big Grin

retired: UA Local 250 Industrial Fitters Refrigeration Division

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2015, 10:38 PM)surferdude2 Wrote:
(06-26-2015, 10:34 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Psychrometric chart. Latent heat. Sensible heat. Dew point..... Hmmmm now where did I see that? Wink

LOL!

Only used ammonia on the blue print machine. Big Grin

retired: UA Local 250 Industrial Fitters Refrigeration Division

Hello Brother.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
250 is in CA but I came back to IL to the old elephant burial grounds to retire. Actually did a little ammonia work on an ice plant... I could see where it could be impressive...well, let's say it could leave you breathless! You're smart to avoid it.

Best regards brother.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone using 20mm copper pipe? That would get you maximum heat transfer. (10ft in a coil)
However...That might detune your APAP - CA/OA echo sensing though.

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually place a few ice cubes in a shallow bowl which is placed near my S8's intake. Cool air is pulled in and passed on to my appreciative sinuses. Never had rain out or any other issues. I have not tried the ice cubes in the humidifier chamber, but may tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be reluctant to have the ice right in front of the intakes.
The sensors inside the CPAP machines do not play well with moisture and
having the machine inhale cold air may promote internal condensation. Not
a good thing.
I would go for a final chiller stage *after* the CPAP is done with the air and its on the way
to the mask.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Putting ice in the humidifier reservoir will cause it to sweat on the outside and you'll get water accumulating in the machine where it may cause harm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi; a quite simple solution is to get a wine cooler. I got one for 100$, drilled a hole in the top to run the hose and cable through and to act as an air inlet. Inside I placed several bottles of water (as a buffer as otherwise the wine cooler could not keep up all night), and on top of that the CPAP. Temperature of the cooler is adjustable from about 12C/53F to 18C/65F. Works quite well; quiet enough for use in the bedroom. 
Note that my last Resmed S9 ran worm. Local distributor said that that was impossible, but Resmed themselves confirmed that it can happen. Presume from dust and stuff accumulating inside the machine?? Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 190 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,642 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 138 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 785 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 373 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 131 03-27-2024, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 207 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.