Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HEADACHE- JAW MISALIGNMENT- NOT SLEEPING WELL
RE: HEADACHE- JAW MISALIGNMENT- NOT SLEEPING WELL
(03-23-2012, 05:23 PM)dans9 Wrote: Thanks for all the tips. Have'nt played on this field before!! My unit is an "elite". Figured out the menus and how to change settings so making progress. Can hardly wait to go night night.

Dan, if your device has an SD Memory card in the back, then I strongly recommend that you download the Sleepy Head sleep apnea analysis software, and run it tomorrow. It will blow your mind opening up all sorts of analytic possibilities. It runs on all platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
The Elite is a good machine, are you checking LCD screen data, AHI, leak etc..
How long since seen the Doc, might help to discuss the problems you mentioned pressure adjustment, drying eyes, headache, nasal and snoring
I find using Neilmed Sinus Rinse help clearing the nasal passages and headaches.

Teeth grinding linked to sleep apnea
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=grinding
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, use either one of the two software (or both) to check your data. Don't change your settings just yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dan,

The Elite is a very capable CPAP. It should have a data card you can use with Sleepyhead, recommended earlier, or you can get directions to download ResScan on this site (free by the way). The card should have your last year of data on it! You can also use ResScan to change the setting and configuration of your machine! You make the changes, and when you put the card back in the machine, magic.

I think you're right to look at the humidity. For me, a humidity setting of 2 would have my sinuses cracking and painful. Note the amount of water you're using in the tub each night as well.

Making your own CPAP Set Pressure changes are not something we all agree on here, but there is an excellent primer on this site outlining guidelines and recommendations on how to do so intelligently. I recommend it as a "must read." Humidity, ramp, EPR, and all other settings you can just play with.

There's no one size fits all. Make the changes and see if you are sleeping better and feel better.

Keep us up to date with your progress.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on the new pressure setting (9) and humidity at (3) for 11 days. Wearing a Sleep Guard mouthpiece occasionally and keeping the water tank level above half at all times. Seems to be better as the headaches have subsided but still having the teeth alignment problems. Waking 2 to 3 times each night. I'm going to download Sleepyhead tonight and take a look and go deeper. Doc thinks it may be good idea to revisit sleep test since it's been over 2 years. Good times, good times..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HEADACHE- JAW MISALIGNMENT-NOT SLEEPING WELL
(03-23-2012, 02:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Another question would be how long has it been since the pressure was adjusted? It may be time to have it changed. I think it was around my 3 or 4yr mark when my needs changed. If you've not bee to see your sleep doc in a while, it is probably time to go back.

The teeth issue could be separate from CPAP use. TMJ (temporal mandibular joint) issues can cause the teethe to feel weird and can cause some severe headaches.

Yes I'd go with Paula on that, not everything is cpap related. My advise would be to see your normal doctor and ask him the question about Jaw alignment or your dentist.

As for the other issues with pressure and humidity your best bet is to check your data but again, we are not qualified people and can only make sugestions to you so contact your clinic and ask them to check your machine for now untill your happy with understanding what is going on via Data.

One last thing...... Welcome Hi

Post Reply Post Reply
i also have TMD. when i went for treatment and mentioned tmj i was informed that terminology has changed. TMJ is
temporal mandibular joint. TMD is temporal mandibular disease. everybody has a temporal mandibular joint or 2 of them. people with a temporal mandibular joint problem have temporal mandibular disease. that said, i also get the dislocation feeling and associated pain. my jaw used to actually pop out of place on one side and i would have to yawn or manipulate it back into place by grabbing it. i knew when it was right or wrong by how my teeth went together. notice i said went together. about 4 yrs back i had all teeth removed and don't use the dentures. now when it gets off, i have a hard time getting it in the right place with no reference point because the gums do not touch each other. actually its hard to even figure out if it's off. if you have a history of tmd do not have your teeth removed if at all possible.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Late post for this thread:
I have had TMJ issues for many years now.
I thought I had it licked but earlier this week it flaired up again.
The soreness was back because my mask was forcing my lower jaw backwards just a bit too far.
Ouch!
Luckly I had a Brain-Pad mouth gaurd made up ahead of time and used it last night.

Relief!
Good news!
Other good news is October is my one year CPAP anniversary.
No longer a rookie!

On the other hand it is one more piece of junk to put on every night just before bed..

But...one must roll with the punches though.

Cheers!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
My TMJ flares up whenever I'm stressed out.

Congrats on one year of success!

I know what you mean about adding one more thing to wear to bed. Here's my list:

mouth guard
chin strap
eye mask (optional)
ear plugs (optional)
nasal pillows mask (definitely not optional)

PJ's sometimes not required. Smile
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.