Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HEATED HOSE QUANDRY
Question 
HEATED HOSE QUANDRY
Hi all.  Now that I am getting the more serious apnea treatment stuff out of the way, I have a pretty minor issue I'd like to address...

the heated hose I just received the other day.

I connected it to my machine.  I changed the setting from slimline to the appropriate new setting.

But it doesn't give me the results my first hose did. (My first hose being not heated).

I have tried automatic and have tried manual.  Neither setting seems to do the job.  The non-heated hose was fine once my husband rigged it up to the wall above my head and bed.  I needed to stop the "rain" effect.  I have to have the humidity level pretty high, I have used 7 or 8 when in manual with the first hose when I had my machine set for CPAP.

I need it high because my nose and mouth get very, very dry otherwise.  With the heated hose, in BIPAP mode, I am getting too dry, wether on manual or automatic.

What am I doing wrong?

Last night I just went back to my old slimline non-heated because of the dryness and not being able to figure things out.

I suppose I could just stay on the slimline and not concern myself with getting the heated one to work for me, but I really would like to take the hose contraption off my wall.

Any thought on this out there?

Appreciatively,

Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: HEATED HOSE QUANDRY
Rainout happened to me once. I had my humidity set to 8 and the rainout condensation was quite heavy after only a few hours. The gurgling in a low spot in the hose woke me up.

I found that "7" seems to work best for me. For some unknown reason to me, ResMed didn't include an "Auto" mode for the humidifier level in their ASV PAP model.  I don't use a heated hose, but did buy a CPAP hose cover. I haven't had any rainout problems since.  And I just use the regular slimline hose.

Anytime the air outside the hose gets very cold, and you have a lot of moisture inside the hose, you will likely get condensation forming on the inside of the hose walls.  Like a glass of ice tea will sweat, only on the inside in this case.  Then it will puddle up in a low spot.

For me, the unwrapped hose slid down between the mattress (insulation) and wall (exterior wall) which provided a pocket of very cold dead-air space for the hose to develop the rainout problem.

I paid around $12 on Amazon for a hose cover. It works well for preventing rainout and eliminated the noise of the ribbed hose pulling over the hard edge of anything it may be in contact with. So, added bonus.

I think they are all generally made of fleece and have a long zipper with a little bit of elastic on each end. You don't need to be concerned that they aren't quilted to add some sort of insulating value. I don't think it's necessary and it would bulk up the hose too.

Hope this helps.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
With the heated hose you need to select a temperature. I usually use 27 degrees in summer and 30 in winter - these keep the air comfortable and I am properly humidified. What's your temperature setting? Have you tried adjusting it to suit?
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you have gone into the machine settings and set the humidity and hose heat levels, your only option is to use the slimline hose. The main reason for using a heated hose is to manage condensation in the hose. If you can keep the rainout at acceptable levels with the slimline hose, the heated hose isn’t necessary. As mentioned above, a hose cover will help keep condensation down. If you must use the heated hose, using a room humidifier could help.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Plmnb put the climate control on these settings. Manual, 5 and 86F. Those settings will give you the same humidity as 7 on the slimeline. You will still need that rig though because at that setting you may still get rainout. It depends on the temp of your room. I had slight condensation in my mask at those settings. Not sure about the hose but it didn’t make a sound so I don’t think so. If you keep that rig you can bring the humidity up even further. Just be aware there is such a thing as too much humidity. On auto for both humidifier and hose temp it keeps it at a relative humidity of 85% at 80F. Scale it up as the settings go up. This is the chart explaining the settings for both slimline and ClimateLine. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...sa_eng.pdf
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Osiris357.

Just the information I was looking for.

Really appreciate you,
Plmnb
Huhsign  WARNING: It may take a while to sink in...I tend to get befuddled at times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,644 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,296 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Hose volume Willw 4 283 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,004 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 649 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 259 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 396 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.